France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
We go to France for around 3 weeks every year as our main holiday. One attraction for us is that we both have a smattering of French from our school days so can get by in the basics of the language.
The initial attraction of France was that it allowed us to go abroad but to take our own car (a distinct advantage with a baby in tow!). Our children are now 7 and 4 and we enjoy the freedom that having the car gives us. The camping companies (Eurocamp etc) cover most of France and even after 6 years of doing that type of holiday we still feel that there is so much of France to explore as it's such a diverse country. The climate suits us and driving in France is a real pleasure. The only downside is the 450 mile haul back from the Channel ports to Scotland.
As Elaine says, driving there is sheer pleasure, parking is easy, shopping is great.

We usually have 3 weeks in June and a couple of quickies during winter.

No airport hassle, no weighing baggage.

We live in Yorkshire and find PO ferries to Zeebrugge an absolutely great start and end to the holiday. Anything that avoids the M25 and M1 is a definite bonus.

Not forgetting the 'duty-free' wine and spirits we bring back.

Patka
Not a lot more to add. Been going with Eurocamp for 10 years and already booked for next. Tend to do 2 1/2 weeks in June including overnights both ways so we get the full 2 weeks hols. Was great when the kids were younger (now 20 & 17 and no longer holidaying with us). Now tend to spoil ourselves and upgrade the homes and go to places that WE want to see, not places that have things to keep the kids occupied.

The big bonus we discovered last year was the Hull to Zeebrugge crossing. 90 miles from home, overnight crossing and well prepared for the drive the following day. Means we can go further afield. Love driving on the continent full stop.

Also do a couple of days in Oct/Nov for the booze cruise. Used to be Dover-Calais (not the longer more expensive crossings on this need the money for the wine!). Did a couple of nights in Dunirk this year and threw a day trip to Ypres in to boot. Gooing back to finish off what we didn;t get to see next year but will probably stop in or near Ypres itself.
I'm a France fan too.
France has been our main holiday destination for the past few years.
We love it, the kids love it and the grandparents love it too.
Our holidays are so relaxed , there's so much to see and we're alway sad about having to come home.
(does anyone else feel stressed the moment they arrive back in England and have to drive on the hectic chaotic British roads??????)
I don't know whether you can call it a holiday but we live in Southern Germany and drive to the UK at least twice every year, we choose to drive through France rather than Germany ( even though there are few speed limits on the motorways in Germany and roads are toll free) because the roads in France are much less crowded and driving is almost stress free, though we do have a rude awakening when we get off of the boat in Dover. We always spend a few days somewhere in France on our journey both ways, we like the shopping, the food, the open spaces, the scenery and the atmosphere and over the years we have had many longer holidays in France and intend having more as there is still lots more of the country to explore.
Always loved France and the culture. Learnt enough of the language that I don't totally embarass myself (before they rescue me in perfect English). My Father and his wife retired to the far South in 2003 we don't see them often enough as it's a long haul by car and if we fly we need to hire a car so it get's expensive.

Last year we ended up with so many trips and short breaks that we took the plunge and bought a large static. I thought it would save money but now I'm not so sure :rofl
We go to France for around 3 weeks every year as our main holiday. One attraction for us is that we both have a smattering of French from our school days so can get by in the basics of the language.
The initial attraction of France was that it allowed us to go abroad but to take our own car (a distinct advantage with a baby in tow!). Our children are now 7 and 4 and we enjoy the freedom that having the car gives us. The camping companies (Eurocamp etc) cover most of France and even after 6 years of doing that type of holiday we still feel that there is so much of France to explore as it's such a diverse country. The climate suits us and driving in France is a real pleasure. The only downside is the 450 mile haul back from the Channel ports to Scotland.

ditto :)
even though our boys arent babies / toddlers anymore,its fab to be able to take the car

we find it much easier / less stressful than flying ! good job hubby likes driving lol

we tend to stay overnight near Dover after driving from South Wales
then get an early morning crossing to Calais

usually ferry, but eurotunnel for the first time this summer :)
this yr will be our 3rd yr of going to France,and i can see us going for many yrs to come :tup

we HAVE to go to DLRP for a few days each visit,our boys ( and me ;) ) love it there

but id love to visit the south of france too :)
we go to France twice each year in early summer and september eachtime for a week, i think they are holidays not breaks but my wife treats our two week holiday in the winter as our main holiday. the 1st week is usually to watch the rugby in perpignan when we usually fly to gerona and hire a car to get to the languadoc, while we are there we go everywhere from castles to vineyards to the beach and plenty of restaurants fantastic. the 2nd week in september we drive down to the Dordogne area from calais and do as the 1st week, but we can bring back the wine supplies while we have the car with us. what we like is the peacefulness and the weird things they do closing shops for lunch restauarants only open for lunch and dinner, village markets for shopping, the tomatoes are out of this world actually smell of tomatoes. I'm off to Ile sur tet just outside perpignan in 3 weeks time can't wait.

Paul
This year its a main holiday. a fortnight on Monday, 3 weeks in Normandy and it can't come soon enough. I can taste the cider now and the creme cru, the sea food, and everything. We are being joined by my daughter and husband for 2 weeks,really looking forwards to it.

Patksa
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.