Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
dirty beach
16 Posts
Interested to hear your comment - was the "dirt" rubbish or seaweed.

Many beaches are meticulously cleaned during the summer months but may not be during the winter.
Isn't 'magaluff' in Majorca ????
sorry, i really meant the water quality. Yes you do get lots of "something" floating around. What hits you when you go to magaluf (in mallorca) is that truly clean water means as far out as u go you can see straight to the bottom. The sand on the bottom is clean. On the costa del sol you simply can not see to the bottom of the water. In magaluf you have a board with the daily results from the water tests for bacteria. I have never seen this on the costa del sol.
If you went to somewhere like Marbella, the clarity of the water deteriorates because of the proximity to the Atlantic - the meeting of the two bodies of water tends to churn up the sand which clouds the water - has nothing to do with pollution. If anything, the water is probably cleaner due to the washing effect of the Atlantic. As you get further up the coast, towards Almeria, the water does get clearer. Majorca is in fact quite close to several industrial cities (south of France, Barcelona) so I would worry more about that if I were you......
in mallorca they are happy to display the dialy bacteria levels....why do you think it is thatbthey dont do that on the costa del sol?....i have never seen any effluence in mallorca but certainly have on the costa's!
Found the sea to be quite clear in Benalmadena this October, could see the fish etc, but must admit the sand did have a lot of dog ends in it, sorry cigarette butts. :)
We also go to Benalmadena every year and the sea is clean enough to see the fish :D dont know what its like further round the coast line.
Costa del Sol has improved greatly over the past few years. I remember going back in the late 80's and there was lots of rubbish floating along the coast - reminded me of Southend.
my point really was that until i saw what a clean sea looks like i didnt even realise it wasnt so great on the costa del sol.....
U cant compare the two, Majorcas beaches are much much nicer than here in mainland spain. In six years i have never once been in the sea here and i wont let my little boy either but we loved it in Alcudia in Majorca

Please do not use phone text ie U instead of you Briar
:hmmm
Are we talking about the beach...the sea...or both here?

sanji xxx
I think the colour of the sand gives the impression the sea is dirty.

Until this summer the only other place in Spain I'd visited was Salou in Costa Dorada. The beaches there had lovely golden sand, most of them were Blue Flag beaches and I expected the same sort of sand in Benalmadena :roll:

I suppose its logical that the motion of the tide will churn up the dark sand and appear to colour the water....It doesn't necessarily mean the water is dirty.
as they are volcanic islands the sand has been imported,as the real sand is black
This is La Carihuela, between Torremolinos and Benalmadena....it looks good to me :wink:
http://img427.imageshack.us/img427/3430/ruby0419pp.th.jpg http://img427.imageshack.us/img427/234/beach16rx.th.jpg http://img427.imageshack.us/img427/6257/flowersbeach0yr.th.jpg http://img427.imageshack.us/img427/6164/sea15vj.th.jpg
Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting click on image to enlarge.

besos xx
SanJi
looks far nicer than magaluf,doesn,t it,i went fishing in benal you can see fish in water,to small to catch,up close but nice to see.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.