Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
What I have heard is that its called Plaza de Coronation Street, just a square that has been renamed, and its in the Rincon de Loix area of benidorm, must admit though, Ive never seen it.
Hi Lynne ... rather than twin Benidorm with one particular UK city, the late Mayor of Benidorm took a decision to twin Benidorm with a UK soap. The choice was Coronation Street, because everyone in the UK watches Corrie of course.

A small section at the corner of Calle Gerona and Avenida Derramador (just opposite Hotel Calypso I believe) was to be designated Plaza de Coronation Street. I'm not aware of any plans to build a Rovers Return, but wouldn't be surprised if some of the local bars did take advantage of the opportunity to atttract more custom from soap fans, by renaming premises after the programme or its characters.

David :wave
There were suggestions to rename Benidorm as Weatherfield, and the Spanish reply was.....Ridiculo....in other words , don`t be ridiculous.
my thoughts exactly :roll: and renaming any part of Benidorm after a soap..... was estúpido. :roll: HERE
http://www.corrieblog.tv/2006/02/costa_del_corri.html
A small section at the corner of Calle Gerona and Avenida Derramador (just opposite Hotel Calypso I believe) was to be designated Plaza de Coronation Street

MMm :lol: someone must be getting their shapes mixed up again, cos I thought that area is a triangle....there used to be a portocabin type building there for tourist information, then the vandals, druggies and graffitti artists moved in. :hmmm ...or am I in the wrong area.?

SaNji
That's roughly the spot Sanji, I think proposals for the name change coincided with alterations to the lay out of that junction after construction of the underground car park. Whether it is currently round, square or triangular, I don't really know. Personally I think it is a load of cobbles !! :lol:

David :wave
And the area in question can be seen briefly on the Tourist train Video part 2.....
Just after the shot of the hotel Pelicanos. :lol:
Personally I think it is a load of cobbles

Or cobblers.!!! :rofl

SanJi x
or you can download google earth from http://earth.google.com/ , and then download the "plaza de coronation street" placemarker from http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=A329A72B462C859E :D
thanks everyone for solving that one for me, my mum's a bit disappointed though, think she was expecting a bit more but never mind.
we're still all looking forward to september :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.