Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
I wonder if that will include the riding of mobility scooters too :que
I was amazed the amount of young people zooming around on them at the beginning of the month.
I should imagine there will be many more in the summer months.
Somewhat exaggerated, the facts are here...
http://majorcadailybulletin.com/4329.html
...50 Euro fine for wearing beach wear in the city. Which is welcome. I once watched a young English couple being turned away from the cathedral, he was wearing only shorts and her a bikini with a small wrap. When in Rome...
I agree with you jay trip Benidorm is terrible I myself am disabled and do use a scooter but was disgusted at the amount of young people riding around on them we went to pick up my rental scooter in Benidorm and was walking behind a group of very able bodied people about 7 of them they then started to limp and act as if they couldn't walk which quite upset me as me really needing one and them taking the p**s they rented 7 of them taking them away from the genuine people it needs to stop maybe they should make it so you have to take proof there could be a disabled person not being able to rent one because of the stupidity of others x
My disabled friend is a regular to Benidorm and uses a scooter it costs her approx €40 per week. She is going to Fuerteventura next month and is having to take her own scooter as the hire cost there is €90 a week.........

I did wonder about the fines in the article, that's why I wrote apparently ;)
Good old Daily Mail lol.

There's a difference between Benidorm and The Canary Islands in costs of many things, in part due to transport costs.
Yeah. I meant its so cheap in Beni that the youngsters can afford to get a scooter, unlike the Canaries :tup
when it says buckets, does that mean kiddies sandcastle buckets or am I missing something?
yes- not sure what they mean about buckets. Doesn't make much sense- surely they don't mean bins?
They mean buckets, as in ice buckets, that the Germans fill up with booze and drink in the bars.

Edited cos stupid tablet keeps missing letters.
  • Edited by Sanji 2014-04-29 17:38:47
Was just thinking that might be what they mean Sanji :tup
only out of curiosity, as we don't plan to ever go to Benidorm,
Does that mean we can assume that kiddies buckets won't be banned.
Also, I usually wear beach shorts on the beach but wear them to and from (providing its not a bus/taxi etc), I also wear them in the sea,, so will they be classed as swimwear?
to be hoped the police use common sense !
If you read the second link it mentions Germans drinking a lethal mix of alcohol with straws from a bucket.

From reading the linksI understand the ban on wearing swim wear away from the beaches is only going to in the city of Palma at the moment,.
Don't know what the fuss is about -The resort of Salou introduced similar rules in 2010 in an effort to clean up the image that the resort had acquired of half dressed drunken teenagers drinking in the streets, vomiting and urinating -- and Barcelona followed the following year.

There are a lot of different by-laws which apply in various forms in the various autonomous regions.
Most of them, the local authority/policia turn a blind eye to them, until they start causing problems.
For example, how many people know that it is illegal to drink on the promenade in Benidorm or that riding a bicycle is illegal on the promenade in many provinces?
Somewhat exaggerated, the facts are here......50 Euro fine for wearing beach wear in the city.

I would say that is wrong and they've missed another 0 on the end of the 50 (I will stand corrected if I am wrong) because the fines in Barcelona are 300 to 500 €, with a lower amount set for the ‘semi-naked’, of between 120 and 300 €.
Barcelona publicised the ban with the distribution of 15,000 leaflets across the city and handed the leaflets out to tourists on arrival at the hotels.

I visit Malaga City and whilst I don't know of any enforced by-laws, the city make it known by the use of icon signage that if you are not dress appropriately, then you're not welcome in places such as the cathedral and the numerous museums.

Sanji
There were drinks for sale in buckets in Benidorm which were drunk by the British.
They were advertised as 5 bottles (unopened) of San Miguel in a bucket for 7 Euro or cheaper.
The buckets were about half the size of the buckets we use at home.
I would have thought fishbowls would be banned as these usually contain a mixture of strong alcohol.
I hadnt been to Benidorm for 12 years but loved it and cant wait to go back. :tup
Don't know why we're talking about what happens in Benidorm in the Mallorca forum, on a subject that is related to Palma de Mallorca. :scratch: Benidorm is unique, there is no where else in Spain like it, and no doubt there are people in Mallorca, who are glad about that and like to keep it that way. :wink: Palma is only doing what Barcelona has done, and most of the time, these by-laws are either re-enacted or created at the request (or pressure placed on the town hall) by the residents and businesses.

Sanji x
they have had similar local laws in Lloret de mar for a couple of years now, as well as in other resorts in catalonia
http://www.thinkspain.com/news-spain/20845/lloret-del-mar-toughening-up-on-alcotourism

it is a shame that places like palma and other resorts in spain are having to introduce laws on dress codes when common courtesy would indicate that you dress appropriately.
i have never understood why people think it is ok to go into a bar or restaurant in a resort in swimwear and i will personally not use places that allow this. when i had my own pubs in this country i refused to serve people who came in without a shirt or those who removed them when they were sat outside.
Sanji wrote:

I would say that is wrong and they've missed another 0 on the end of the 50 (I will stand corrected if I am wrong)Sanji

Here we have a UK newspaper that has a well established reputation for sensationalism and exaggeration versus a local Mallorcan published paper that is generally accurate in its reporting (in my personal experience over many years). I know which one I believe.
Pollensa1946 wrote:
Sanji wrote:

I would say that is wrong and they've missed another 0 on the end of the 50 (I will stand corrected if I am wrong)Sanji

Here we have a UK newspaper that has a well established reputation for sensationalism and exaggeration versus a local Mallorcan published paper that is generally accurate in its reporting (in my personal experience over many years). I know which one I believe.

You may be right, but newspapers around the world with a far better reputation than the Daily Wail, they have been known to make a typing error and publish a correction or issue an apology a few days later.
One Mallorcan paper that I had a quick look at yesterday, quoted 260 euros, which if correct, would be in line with the Barcelona fines, because the 500 euro top ceiling fine is for being completey naked.

If it is only 50 euros, that's a huge difference between one Spanish city and another one.

Sanji
. i have never understood why people think it is ok to go into a bar or restaurant in a resort in swimwear and i will personally not use places that allow this. when i had my own pubs in this country i refused to serve people who came in without a shirt or those who removed them when they were sat outside.

I know it is taking us off topic and apologies for that but I have never understood the even more extreme example of why anybody would could ever think it was acceptable to visit a mosque dressed in beachwear ie shorts (just shorts in the case of the man in the couple!) and a bikini top as I witnessed in Sousse in Tunisia. Much less protest at being told that they must either wear the cover-up provided by the doorman or else go away!

SM
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.