DIY Holidays

Discussion relating to DIY holidays
Thats the draw back with booking with alpha rooms and wintersunshine holidays, they are what they state they are just agents and are not responsible if anything goes wrong. I have to agree with the court, if you are unhappy with the hotel you need to take the hotel to court. Alpha rooms are not a tour operator that are governed by different rules.

The companies to book with are http://www.spanishluxuryhotels.co.uk who sell flights as well which would make a protected holiday under ATOL or http://www.orchidcanaries.com/homepage.phtml?start=380 who sell hotel and flight together to make a protected holiday. They do the majorca, mainland spain, canaries, algarve, florida and cruises. Orchid are a part of thomas cook so a big name in travel if you get problems.
I totallly disagree mike9876.

Arranging travel the DIY way comes with some risks for sure, but saying that the way to travel is by going with someone who books the hotel and flight then packages together is complete load of poo and to me sounds like a pretty narrow minded and blinkered view!

The reason why so many people travel DIY is to save money. Limiting yourself to one company that sells both the two major components together is just going to limit your choices.

I think you'll find that there are alot of people who have travelled with ABTA and ATOL bonded companies that have had exactly the same problems as purepauluk and never received a penny in compensation.

Not an attack Mike, just my opinion. :wink:

Cheers

Jazz.
Jazzman

I go DIY and I book my flights and hotel seperately. This year I booked accommodation direct with the hotel and flights with airberlin. Last year I booked my accommodation through orchid and flights with excel.

I know the risks and was just pointing out you have come back in the UK if its a package. The companies I quoted are often cheaper than alpha rooms and wintersunshine holidays and offer a good price on flights and hotel together.

I am just pointing out if you go DIY there are risks and you need to research the accommodation you have chosen very carefully. You are not with a tour op and can't and can't expect the same come back. After all you are saving money and you take a risk so you can't expect the same level of protection. Pay by credit card that will give people going DIY more protection.

Mike
purepauluk, I know where you are coming from, I dealt with at least two of the peolple from Alpharooms whom you mentioned.

They also blamed another company for the problems they gave me, and couldnt sort it out even though I was informed by the hotel that my booking didn't exist, even though I booked more than six months in advance. Twice *** stated that Alpharoom bookings were "guaranteed".

Yes I moan on still about Alpharooms, not because of their website, not because of their prices, but as you have discovered yourself, when something does go wrong, their customer service/attitude is a
:swear ing joke.

Sorry your holiday was spoilt, but I can well imagine like me, Alpharooms will never get another penny from us again.

Robby :wink:
*Edit to remove staff member name -Glynis*
I can honestly say that my friend has used Alpha rooms on many occassions (at least 4 times this year up to now) and has never had any problems at all.

She researches the hotels available on here prior to booking to check what others have to say and has been fine up to now.
Glynis if your friend has been allocated rooms etc as booked, then they would not have had to experience the problems with Alpharooms staff.

It is a common theme here, when something does go wrong with Alpharooms, their customer service side of the business is abysmal.

We all know things go wrong sometimes, but expect some sort of service. Just look how Wintersunshineholidays have gone out of their way to give customers an assurance. For such an effort they deserve praise, where as
Alpharooms deserve all the publicity regarding their service, or lack of it.

Glynis I've been with alpharooms before the incident, and once after. The only reason I went after this all happened, is due to us having already paid for the hotel and flights and we'd of lost all our money if we cancelled (there was 7 of us going) at new year.

I'd never actually had cause to complain before with any hotel id booked, but when I did alpharooms screwed it all up completely. They just showed there true colors and treated us like dog dirt. They obviously couldn't care less about repeat custom, As you've already said, your friend has been several times with them, so repeat custom obviously does happen. When your friend finally does have cause to contact alpharooms,
I very much doubt they'll be offered a helping hand.

I truly believe a company shows how good it is when something goes wrong and alpharooms failed, miserably. I have never dealt with a company whose service was so shocking in all my life, and most importantly I've never been threatened by one before either.

I do understand they were not legally contracted to help, but you expect any company you pay money to, to at least try to help, instead of lying to you and blatently trying to rip you off.

I guess one good thing that has happened out of this is my next holiday will be in October, and there's 27 people going on that holiday (that is no word of a lie) and alpharooms lost out big time. We've all booked with several different companies xcapewithus, First Choice and Thompson I think it is. Not one of us has booked with alpharooms.

I wouldn't recommend that company to my worst enemy.
I do sympathise with you as there's nothing worse than poor customer service.
Hello PurePaulUK

I sympathise with you and the nightmare you all experienced.

There is nothing worse than looking forward to a holiday and it turning into a disaster.

We have learnt from our experience, and now only book hotels when we have researched the property thoroughly.

If you are to gain anything from your experience, it's try the following link:

http://www.tripadvisor.com

Just enter the hotel name in the search engine, you will find most opinions, you can then make your own judgement about the hotel, prior to booking it.

Good Luck

Driver02
I have used Alpharooms several times and haven't had any trouble apart from one hotel being overbooked but they arranged another (actually better) hotel and there were no other problems.

I don't see how you can blame Alpharooms for the state of the hotel room and even the food in the snack bar. So, your friend cut his hand in the pool, accidents happen. It's obvious that you, Purepauluk, are very "picky" about things and you should have just asked the hotel to find you another room but instead you knowingly agreed to go from a 4* to a 3* - unbelievable! I agree with other comments that you should have done some research about the original hotel, something I always do before booking and always from more than one source, after all, their are plenty of websites out there with hotel reviews. Some comments are not always reliable because you'll get two people who have stayed at the same hotel at the same time and one will think it's brilliant and the other will think it's the pits.

My son has just returned from a package holiday when he usually goes Easyjet and Alpharooms and he had far more problems with the package than he gets with the DIY option including a 3 hour flight delay,problems with a hire car and reps trying to scrounge money for a whip round for the coach driver - perhaps he should sue the tour operator!
Spindles,

The way I read Purepauluk's post was that the main problem wasn't with the hotel but with the way he was treated by Alpharooms staff, after complaining about the hotel.

Sure the hotel/room was a bit kak and he should of researched the place first, but these things happen, and to quite a few of us I imagine. When it does happen we want to know that things can be sorted out as best as possible while we're in resort, or that the company who's taken our money as payment for a service at least tries their best for us, whether they are contractually obliged to or not!

I've travelled with Alpharooms before and have had no cause to complain in the past, but thats because everything has always gone smoothly. Now I'm just left thinking I hope my brothers holiday doesn't go tits up incase he has to ring there customer services team like Purepauluk did :S

Jazz.
Or better still check our hotel reviews first :D
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk
Well said Glynis :lol: :lol:

Jazzman Thats exactly the way I meant for the story to come across. At no point did I actually blame alpharooms for the problems in either hotel, but as you said I expected them to sort it out. This is what i said in court. When they did 'try' they unfortunately screwed it all up beyond belief.

Spindles I am not a picky person, the guy on reception never offered me another room, he simply said he would sort it, and I believed him. Sure I could of demanded one, but I would rather give them a chance to sort things out first, especially when they say they will. I won't argue with someone unless I need to. The same applies to alpharooms, we did knowingly accept a 3 star hotel this is true, but we had no reason to doubt alpharooms or be wary of what they were saying. As you will know yourself, you can get good hotels and bad ones. We were obviously wrong to assume alpharooms would of moved us to a nice/good 3 star hotel.

You are also correct, accidents do happen, but when its not your fault and you notify the person who is responsible, I expect that person to at least show like they care, instead of having the ' I couldnt give a toss' attitude.

I do whole heartly agree with everyone who says I should of researched the hotel before booking. But no amount of research would of ever prepared me for what alpharooms did to us. As this threads title suggest, my warning is for alpharooms, not the hotels.

Glynis HT Admin Oh believe me I will. I've already read the reviews about my hotel that im staying at in october. Very mixed is all I can say, although im not that worried as I didnt book with alpharooms :lol:
Alpharooms are not a tour operator they are an agent. I don't understand why you would expect them to do ANYTHING for you and I'm quite surprised that they even tried. The reason these holidays are called DIY is because you Do It Yourself. That means you find out whether the hotel is likely to meet your requirements before you book it. It would have taken you two minutes to find out (on this website) that the Gran Hotel Mijas has very few good reviews and is described in terms varying from "two star" to "absolutely awful" and "absolute nightmare"! Reading that you look for somewhere else. If you book accomodation directly, or via an agent, it's up to you to solve your problems and the best way to do that is to make sure there are none in the first place by doing some simple research. Caveat emptor!
ColinWWW, got to disagree. Taking Alpharooms out of it for a moment, I think regardless which agent you use, that is who your contract is with, and they are the ones who should sort it.

Maybe from a "point of law", they don't have to, but "ethically" they should, purely as a customer relations thing.

Back to Alpharooms, I have experience of their "custome service", and I couldn't agree more about their "couldn't care less" attitude. That is the difference between good agents and bad agents.

Booking any unknown hotel is a gamble, even reading reviews, as everyone has different opinions. But to book with Alpharooms is an even bigger risk, because if you don't get what you have booked, trying to get it sorted is a "nightmare".

My opinion only, and God have I been wrong before,

ColinWWW I actually wish they never had tried to help, as they only made things worse in the end anyway.

As I've said before I do agree that we should of checked out the reviews first, but it was to late. Just because youve been using this site for god knows how long, still doesnt excuse what they did.

Regardless of wether they should of helped or not, there was no need to threaten us, I don't care what you or anyone says. That is the biggest argument and is still the one thing that angers me the most out of everything that happened.
Robby, imagine you went into your local high street travel agent and booked a package holiday with Thomsons or whoever. You get to the hotel and find your room is full of cockroaches. Who would you complain to? I'd bet it would either be the hotel manager or the Thomsons rep, it WOULDN'T be your high street travel agent. Well Alpharooms (and all the other similar outfits) are the internet equivalent of the travel agent, not the tour operator.
Colin, I do know where you are coming from, but in my case with Alpharooms, I booked/paid for the room over 6 months in advance, emailed the hotel, was told there was no such booking, informed Alpharooms who said rooms were guaranteed, got to the hotel and it was fully booked, and no booking for me.

Alpharooms were my point of contact, the ones I booked with, and they just treated me as a hindrance :evil: :evil:

Booking with Alpharooms is a gamble, some you win, some you lose.

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.