Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Did end up using them (GoldCar Europa) again. :roll:

Ok this time, got a TDI Seat Ibiza. Very economical too. Took it back with 3/4 of the pre-paid tank of diesel left. :x

Never mind, eh? :oops:
Hi All :)
My sister and her boyfriend are going to Alicante at the weekend for a week and want to hire a car. Their problem is they don't have credit or debit cards so I'm trying to find out if there are any care hire companies that would allow car hire without a credit/ debit card? Could I book it in my name for them?

Thanks,

Debby.
the problem is going to be paying the deposit for the excess. Most companies take a scan of the card and reserve up to 500euros in case you crash the car. Therefore you need to find a company who will take cash, but the big companies won't do this. Similarily booking it with your card, none of the big companies will do it the name on the booking has to match the name on the card
Even if you book a car over the internet, the desk at the airport will want to take an imprint of a credit card to pay for fuel and as a "non deducted" deposit, so it is all but impossible to rent a car without plastic.
I have tried carjet for first 2 weeks in August looks like they have no availability can any-one recommend anyone else for car hire at Alicante airport?
Hi Pyramid., My sister swears by http://www.autosabroad.com they are an agent that deal with all the car hire places and are very competitive.

Sue :)
Thanks for the info , just tried them but unfortunately no cars available
hi just thought i would let you know that i booked a car in jan for my trip in august with carjet

i found that for the size of my family ( 5 ) a normal taxi transfer was no good as they are only able to transport 4 people. a private transfer was my only option and i was quoted 105 euro online

i managed to get a car ( one way rental only ) - you have to change to one way rental when you do your search on their 1st page on their web site. i pick up at alicante and drop off in torrevija 3 days later for 105 euro.
i dont have credit cards only debit cards...they originally booked me with centauro. i rang spain many times and eventually established that i would definately need credt card with a balance available for 500 euro deposit plus cost of hire plus cost of fuel and also extra ins for tyre/window repair ( optional ). all in all i needed 1000 euro on card.
i cancelled the booking as i only wanted a debit card booking.

many calls later - solmar agreed to accept my debit card only but i had to hire for 4 days in total 147 euro but no deposit required to be held on card just the price of car hire and fuel...

again i hired a car via carjet for the last 3 days and i booked with goldcar in torrevieja..debit card booking only and, when i rang samantha in the office, she agreed to let me collect car sat evening at no extra cost as oposed to sun morning

carjet staff have been brilliant- kat the american lady in particular was vey helpful.
they do leave it to you to make the enquiries and run around but they search their systems alot quicker.

hope this helps.
i have to say that carjet are brill.i have used them in ibiza loads.and a few times in beni.no problems at all.you even get a better car than you asked for sometimes
Last year we booked through Carjet and hired a car from Centuaro at Murcia Airport, we booked and paid for the hire months in advance and paid using my Visa Debit Card, on arrival at Murcia Centuaro accepted this debit card for payment of fuel etc.
This year we have again booked with Carjet and they are now using Goldcar Europa Rental, like last year i will be using my Visa Debit Card to pay for fuel but i am a bit concerned that Goldcar won't accept this card.
Reading the metcalfe679's post it looks like i should be ok, can anyone confirm if they have also paid Goldcar With a Debit card and been ok ?

Thank you
Hi guys, :wave:
My OH has a very good quote from Simply Wheelz by Hertz but is a bit concerned about the mention of a telephone number for a shuttle bus, he assumed the car would be available from the Hertz desk at the airport.
We would prefer to pick up a car at the airport rather than be 'bussed' god knows where, does anyone know if pick up is at the hertz desk or elsewhere?
We are hiring two cars for a party of six adults and the best way round it (to accommodate all the luggage especially) is a 'combo' which has, it seems, loads of room for luggage and a smaller car and Simply Wheelz has come up with the best price.
Reading your comments, it seems that Car Jet seem to have the monopoly at the airport, is this so?
Is there any chance of getting a special deal for hiring two cars or is it not worth asking?
:que

Sorry for the amount of questions but we've never had to hire two cars before, we've previously just hired a family car but the family are all grown now!
:thanks
Can anyone help????

I need tohire a car for 29 days from alacantie airport- the thing is it needs to be autmatic as i am a disabled driver and can only drive automatics.

Is anyone aware of any good rental companies which hire automatics at a cheap/reasonable price??

I can only find very high priced hire
I don't think there are any "cheap" hire companies operating at the airport. I usually book a car for a fortnight and it always seems to be about the same price (£180-£190) for a small 4 door with a/c whichever company I end up using. There seems to be a big premium for an automatic, about £60 a week extra for the same car.
You could try looking for a company operating from outside the airport, but beware, there are some dodgy ones out there!
Has any one hired a car recently? Any recommendations please? Going to a friend's appartment in May. Thanks in advance.
Carrentals.co.uk warns of hire car shortage

Carrentals.co.uk is warning of a shortage of hire cars this summer as suppliers run out of stock.

The car hire comparison site is urging British travellers to book early for the summer after a number of suppliers sold out in key locations over half term and Easter.

It claimed the problem was particularly bad in popular locations such as Alicante, Malaga, Palma and Faro.

Managing director Gareth Robinson said: "Demand in certain locations has exceeded supply this year. A number of car hire suppliers have held their stock levels because of the economic climate, but with many people still travelling some are being caught out."

With permission from Travelmole
I'm sure Carjet were brokers as we've had cars with Goldcar and another company via them-not sure if this has changed now.

We booked our car hire for July/August in February and since then it's gone up €189 - probably due to lack of availability in the summer holidays. We've booked with Goldcar again and they've always been very good - cars have always had 2000k or less and no problems.

If anyone is having problems hiring direct from an airport, I don't know if going to a City Centre rental office makes any difference (they would probably move all their cars to the airport if they're short anyway)? I heard this on the radio the other week as a cost cutting/stress busting tip for holidays - queues are horrendous at airports but a short taxi ride into the town centre office avoids the queues-it didn't work out any cheaper when I tried it though.

Su
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.