General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Credit Cards
8 Posts
...a bit of info that you may find useful - I had a fully expensed Company car in my past life....but hidden in the small print (as it were) ,was that petrol used whilst on annual leave was NOT included- this wasn't applied whilst in the UK - BUT would have been applied if I had presented receipts from garages in Germany or France!I
I knew in advance so no nasty shock on return... but it might pay your husband just to check that he CAN claim for every single mile!!
Please remember that there are tolls (péages) on most French motorways. A lot of them will accept credit cards, but you might find it useful to have some cash handy.

If you are planning to drive through Switzerland and/or Austria to reach Italy, plese be aware that there will be a compulsory motorway charge to be paid at the Swiss frontier or at the start of the Austrian motorway section. The Swiss 'vignette' (windscreen sticker) costs approx 40 SFr and is valid until the end of December in the current year (no reductions for shorter validity) but the Austrian equivalent is based on how many days you'll be travelling on the their motorways, hence an unfixed amount. I would think that you could pay for these on credit cards too.
Hi Katy :tup

I made an enquiry on behalf of my friend regarding Halifax Clarity Card, it came recommended by Luci who uses one and my friend has decided to use it here http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/forum/halifax-clarity-card-t158498.html

(Ignore the cash withdrawal part as that was an error by staff)
I have the new Nationwide card that is free to use abroad (even in the USA). I also have a Santander zero card which is also free to use abroad (they say) but I have not had chance to prove it yet.
Thank you for all your reply's :tup

We are actually stopping the 1st night in Colmar and then continuing via the Gotthard Pass the next day and driving to Maranello 1st...we are aware of the charges though any info on the subject will be most welcome :)

There are no hidden clauses in Hubby's contract and all millage is and always have been covered...we have often driven abroad though never actually attempted this kind of journey...that was due to there being 4 of us and kids getting bored...we have all documentation and insurance etc needed from the company and the one of the Directors talks daily to Hubby about it as he is making a similar journey just 3 weeks before us!

Katy x
katy'sClan wrote:
Thank you for all your reply's :tup

We are actually stopping the 1st night in Colmar and then continuing via the Gotthard Pass the next day and driving to Maranello 1st...we are aware of the charges though any info on the subject will be most welcome :)

There are no hidden clauses in Hubby's contract and all millage is and always have been covered...we have often driven abroad though never actually attempted this kind of journey...that was due to there being 4 of us and kids getting bored...we have all documentation and insurance etc needed from the company and the one of the Directors talks daily to Hubby about it as he is making a similar journey just 3 weeks before us!

Katy x

Where are you staying in Colmar? Do you know the town? If not I have visited a few times.
Hi HiDeHi...we are staying at the Ibis, Colmar Centre Ville (as recommended by a fellow member)

We were originally looking at a overnight stop at Mulhouse but was recommended Colmar as a much better stop over.

Katy x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.