General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hi Jemkar

We just take extra cards, never really thought about transfering them, something I'll look into next time.

boaz
if you put in a high memory card, you should be able to get 200-300 photos on the one card..keep it , bring it home then onto the PC. if you think you will take more , get another memory card
Memory cards are quite cheap these days so I nornmally just take enough memory capacity for the holiday duration. As memory cards aren't 100% reliable, I tend to use several smaller capacity cards instead of a single high capacity card. That way, if a card fails you still have spare cards and don't lose all your photos. Having said that, more cards means more chance of one failing so its catch 22!

Darren
Failing memory cards is the worry as you don't always know the problem until you come to transfer the images when you get home. In the past I have taken my laptop with me and transferred them that way but my next trip is to Kenya and I'm concerned about the risk of taking a laptop there and leaving it in a hotel room.
Have you looked at image tanks? These are portable hard drives which also act as portable media centres to store images, video etc and come in capacities from 20Gb+. I've never used one myself but fellow photographers I know do when they are going on trips. They are also usefull for long flights, just upload your favourite films etc on to it. I think they are available from about £150-£200 these days depending on the capacity.

Darren
I took a large capacity memory card to Egypt this year, all images came home and transferred in one piece!

However I did have a memory card go wrong earlier in the year at my Sister's wedding so it probably is a good idea to take a couple of smaller cards.
I lost quite a few pics of the wedding as well as only being able to take a relatively small number of pics in the first place as the card was telling me it was full (it wasn't).

I had to buy then download a recovery programme to retrieve them.
What was the recovery program called and where did you get it from?
My camera often say's the card is full but if I switch it off and back on again it will take more photo's - Strange !!
Could be something to do with the internal memory.
The camera's or mine !!!!
I used THIS PROGRAMME. My memory card (Lexmark 128MB) read as full every time I placed it in the camera.

I reformatted it after I retrieved the images and took a chance using it for my hols in Egypt this year but it went wrong again resulting in a several pics like this (see last pic on page 4)

Although most of the pics are fine there were several more pics ruined in a similar way.

Needless to say I've now binned the offending memory card!

Pippy :D
The cameras internal memory! :D :lol:
A lot of larger resorts have shops which will will print your photos from your memory card while you're there, enabling you to re-use the memory card for more photos before you get home. :wink:
However, I prefer to browse through my pictures on my own PC before I get them printed - then I can choose which ones aren't worth printing and fiddle around on Photoshop with any that might make a good print once they've been 'twiddled'. So I always take several memory cards on holiday with me, it just gives you more options then, whatever you decide to do; and memory cards aren't all that expensive nowadays - I get mine from ebuyer :wink:
Inseatd of having your pics printed whilst away another way round the problem is simply to ask a photoshop to download and put your pics onto a CD - it's usually possible to have this done quite cheaply as it's such a simple thing to do. If holidaying with friends it means that they can take a CD home with them of all the pics too and is a lot easier than sending them as email attachments later.

I've not tried it myself yet but a friend often goes to an Internet Cafe, downloads her pics and saves them to the Blueyonder website and then prints off those she wants when she gets home.

SM
Too much hassle for me. I just use two 256mb cards for my 4mp camera which gives me nearly 300 photos in fine mode, plenty enough for any holiday I go on. Here are a few reasons memory cards can fail.

Turning off the camera while it is still saving information
Removing the card while the camera is still saving data to it
Taking pictures with very weak batteries
Large static charges to the card
Sitting the cards on or near strong magnetic sources
Removing the card from a reader while you have files that are on the card open
Removing the card from a reader while it is still copying files to the hard drive
If you go on ebay, you can buy a 1GB SD card for around £50.00, probably less now as I've had mine for about a year.

This is what I use in my camera and it lasts me for the whole holiday. I can take almost 500 pics in 4MP and over 1000 pics at 2MP, also if I want to video, I have about 70 mins recording time.

When I come back home, I load the pics on pixdiscount website and get photos delivered for about 5p a pic.
We just have a large memory card - we can get 200 pics on ours.
Mind you, will that be enough for Chian next year...???
Another tip is to edit as you go along. My cards take about 200 pics. I click away all day then edit in the evening to remove the pics which aren't worth keeping.
Here are a few reasons memory cards can fail.

Sitting the cards on or near strong magnetic sources

Erm.... I often keep my camera next to the computer (monitor) at home after I've uploaded the photos...

Is this bad for it?
Is this bad for it?

Can't say I've ever had a problem with strong magnetic sources. I keep my memory card reader underneith the speaker at the side of the monitor and I've never had a problem (touching a very large peice of wood!).

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.