Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
Marlou - Kazimierz is actually the name of the Jewish district in Krakow. If the hotel is in this district it is a taxi ride from the centre. We visited a restaurant there one night, and had a fabulous meal, but I would not want to stay there, as its too far out. From what I can see on Trip Advisor, both hotels are in this quarter. Although some reviews say they are a 10 minute walk from the centre, I would put that at closer to 15 mins.
Hi lou . we stayed at the kazimierz 1 last year . It's excellent for the the money . Clean, basic and a good brekkie .

Its in the centre of the jewish district . Around a 10 minute walk or a 15 min slower stroll to the old town . We really enjoyed our stay there
Hi Marlou -I am staying in Kazimierz 1 (I am stalking lyn through Egypt and Poland!!!) in May his year. Reviews all look good enough, and I trust lyn's advice after going to HSB in Sharm!!

From what I have read there looks like plenty going on in the Jewish quarter and lots of nice places to eat/drink. When are you thinking of going??
Lou . I can see where Helen is coming from if you intend to be making the most of the available old town nightlife and just want to step from a bar and fall into bed . :rofl .

We arnt late nighters and within reason enjoy a night time stroll so it didnt bother us . No taxis for us Helen, just my trusty timberland boots . It wasnt that far :rofl and probably one of the closer jewish district hotels
We only went there once Lyn & it did look like a nice area to stay. We were there just before Xmas and found all the xmas atmosphere in the square appealing. There was some sort of festival with loads of children singing & dancing from morning until night. There was a large stage erected in the square, with loads of activities going on. At any other time of year I don't suppose it would be the same.
TBH Helen we never really explored the area as much as we probably should have . We went in february and it was fairly quiet . We did pop into a couple of bars there for a night cap but that really was it I'm afraid and there didnt seem to be a lot of difference price wise than walking into the old town.I should imagine though that spring/summer the area would have a different feel.
without wishing to go off topic will try out get around to putting down my thoughts on our budapest trip later that we have just returned from . Will let you know when I've done it .
Please Lyn - I think that could well be our next short trip. No flights from local airports though which is a nuiscance.
Ive now done my review in the city break section. :)
July I'm thinking of going, for oh's 40th. I've actually just found a deal on the Camponile, the pain is i'm waiting for the annual leave list to go up in work, to know if i've had my requests or not :que
That's where we stayed Marlou. Right in the centre and convenient for everything. I can't say the hotel had any great atmosphere, because it was fairly modern, although it was spotless with a good brekkie. It was just so central for everything.
I thought it was, there's a deal on there at the moment. By the time I know the dates I can go, the deal will have gone probably :duh
We are off to Krakow for the first time 23rd March and we are so excited :hyper
We are staying at Andels hotel and hubby has upgraded us to an executive room :love
What kind of weather will I get over there in July please? :)
Around 70 degrees with about 7 hours of sunshine daily in July.
:hyper :hyper I've booked it. We go on 19th July and back on the 23rd!! Hubby has no clue and I won't be telling him where we are going until we have to check in!!! :)
Good on you. I wish OH would do that for me. However I'm so fussy he'd know he'd have to tell me at least where & when. Rather spoils the surprise!
Well done Lou . Did you book the Camponile ??
Yes I did Lyn, there was an offer on. 4 nights for 190 euros :) Hubby's doing my head in already, asking question after question about it . I keep answering with "I don't know" :rofl
Went to Krakow last Monday, and came back on Friday after a fantastic time. We stayed in the Hotel Kazimierz in the Jewish Quarter -I will do a review once it is added to the listings.

This was an Easyjet holiday - have only ever done flights with them before, but would do this again: good value. Flight from Edinburgh left on time and actually arrived half an hour early which was a bonus! I had booked with Krakow Advisor to pick us up, and the guy was waiting at arrivals - 69zl for the trip for 4 of us. Also used them to take us back to the airport on the Friday.

I had also booked in advance with them for a trip to Auschwitz/Birkenau and had the guy for the whole day - 100zl per person. Coach tours with much less time at the camps were costing 99zl per person, so having our own personal taxi (people carrier) was not an extravagance! The driver was a young guy with excellent English, who did exactly what we wanted. He also took us from Auschwitz to Birkenau - I had wanted to walk but it was driving rain (!) and brought some of the others in my party from the front of the camp to the back to the memorial to save them walking. Nothing was too much trouble, and I would have no hesitation in recommending the company.

The Jewish Quarter had loads of bars and restaurants - food was excellent and very cheap. On our first night we went to the Honey Pub restaurant, and 4 substantial main courses, a bottle of wine and 4 coffees only set us back about £42.00. We tried different places each night and enjoyed them all.

There are electric cars like golf buggies doing city tours - we took one to go to Schindler's factory. They have an English commentary, and the driver waited while we went inside to see the exhibition. This is rather small, but will open fully in September 2009. I was disappointed that the front of the building had been cleaned and painted and looked too "new" - I had hoped the old sign would still be there. You can barter these guys on price by the way- one guy dropped his price straight away when we didn't seem interested.

It was a pleasant walk to Wawel Castle from the hotel - lovely views of the city and gorgeous architecture. Another short stroll took us to the Main Square in the old town. It was lovely to sit in the sun drinking coffee and watching the world go by there. Beautiful horses and carriages available to take you around if you wished. We also had lunch there and spent some time in the Cloth Hall with its many stalls. This is a good place to come for typically Polish souvenirs.

The only complaint I had was that I didn't have enough time to do everything I would have liked. Krakow is a wonderful city, the people are friendly and helpful, and there is so much to see and do. I will be going back very soon.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.