Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
Krakow
160 Posts
mode101uk.

Thanks for your comments. I shall be in Krakow a week today. Staying only till the Wednesday though. Obviously not enough time but that is all the time we have!

Staying in Klezmer Hois Hotel in the Kasmierez district. Hope the weather will be OK for our short sojourn.

Due to shortness of time we have booked a tour to Aushcwitz. Supposed to leave about 9am and get back about 4pm. Have also booked booked a Jewish concert/dinner evening.

pete
5haggy,

I did a long weekend in march and booked flights and hotel through easyjet. worked out £120.

Got a minibus to Aushwitz and cost was split between 4 of us and worked out very cheap.
so a taxi for 2maybe cost effective dont know the answer to that one ,however the train station may be a good bet also.

Andy B,

Aushwitz birkenau is only a short ride away from the main camp.
1 or 2 miles apart.

Aushwitz tip

To take all this in will be a full day
I thought it a bit of bad taste to eat ameal in the cafe at the main camp however outside the camp car park across the road is a great restaurant called the art deco, very reasonable.
We just came back from Krakow today having flown out on Saturday which was just the right length of time to see the place. We stayed in the Ibis Centrum which was a 10 minute walk from the Market Square and really close to Wawel so very well placed. We went on the organised tour to Auschwitz (they showed an hour long video on the coach on the way there which told a lot of the story of the camp) but did the Jewish meal ourselves last night which worked out a bit cheaper.

My only warning to anyone going to Krakow at the moment is that the security at Balice airport was a nightmare experience this morning. At check-in we were asked about liquids in our hand luggage and we ditched it before we got to the security checks. My bag was thoroughly searched at security. We then reached the departure gates (having passed duty free shops and a food stall) and we went through another security check where bags were searched again and everyone was body searched and any liquids etc which had been bought after the normal security had to be thrown away (the only things the duty free shop was selling was perfumes and toiletries so anyone buying these would have had to dump them).
I have to agree about the security at Krakow airport. They really have to try an sort things out. the first problem was checking in luggage. No control of queues etc which led to chaos.

The number of times you are searched etc is beyond a joke. We eventually reached the boarding area where there was a small cafeteria selling snacks and drinks.

WE had already handed over all our water at a search before we entered that area. Once in the area I wanted to buy a bottle of water for the plane. I told them not to open the sealed water but they insisted they had to and then poured all the water into three small plastic glasses.

There was absolutely no info about all this security available either.
We have booked to go end of January for 3 days. We will be staying in the Galicya Hotel. We have been told to get a taxi from the airport to the hotel as it is cheaper? Also what will the weather be like? Can anyone give me an idea of prices for food and drink please?
We've just had our credit card bill in for our trip and for 2 of us meals were working out at around £20 for 2 courses plus several drinks each. On the Monday night we went to Ariel in the square in the Kazimeir (old Jewish) quarter and there was a concert on. Our meal that night was 3 courses plus a bottle of wine and coffees plus the cost of the concert and it came to £27.
A taxi from the airport was 50-60 zloti.
We have just returned from our first visit to Krakow and it certainly won't be our last.

We stayed in The Old Apartments just off the Main Square and they were wonderful. The whole trip was amazing - Krakow is a charming place and everything is very cheap even though the food and service were excellent.

We visited The Salt Mines and Auschwitz. I wa not sure about visiting Auschwitz, but I am very glad I did - it was a humbling experience and certainly makes you appreciate all that you have.
What's the best way from the airport ie just hail a taxi or is there anywhere you can book online pick up as there is with Prague?
We just picked one up from the taxi rank at the airport and got the hotel to book us one going back - cost around £10 each way.
There's a huge taxi rank right in front of the airport building so it's no problem to get a taxi when you arrive. Many of the taxis will take credit cards, although we didn't try it.
Many thanks both of you - taxi outside it is. :D
Hello has any one stayed at either of these hotels.
Wyspianski: or Ostoya both in krakow.
Would be very grateful for any information.
I am off to Krakow next week and was thinking of booking in advance to go to Auschwitz as we are planning on going the day after we arrive. Have seen a company called Krakow-Tours, has anyone used these or a similar company?
We went to Auschwitz with Krakow Tours and were happy with them. They seem to be the main tour company in Krakow.
We booked with a tour company near to our hotel - bit of a let down really as we were rushed around. We found out whilst we were there that it's free to get into Auschwitz. I would have preferred to make our own way there and go round at my leisure.
We also used Krakow Tours when we was in Krakow last November, and found them to be very good with the trip to Auschwitz, the bus picked us up at the Hotel and took us to a Central meeting point where we was transfered to the bus that was going to Auschwitz. We was placed in small groups when we got to Auschwitz and a english speaking guide took us around, she was very informative with the information she gave us on the tour, did not feel rushed at all. Don't know if I would have found out as much information if was not with a guide.
The bus took us form Auschwitz 1 to Auschwitz 2 anf the same guide met us there and took us around there as well. The the bus took us back to Krakow a full day trip and very good organisation I thought.
Hi, we are going to Krakow in August next year for a few days where we want to go to Auschwitz and the salt mines, would it be easier to book a hotel near to the station (we are traveling on from Warsaw and returning to Warsaw by train) or is it easy t get into town from the train station and can anyone recommend any hotels.
Thanks
Hi val29661.. when we went to Poland a few years ago we travelled by train to Krakow from Warsaw....it's well worth getting your tickets early and booking first class tickets..it's a bit of a mad rush to get on the train which we didn't bargain for! :roll: The first class compartments were at the front but the platforms are massive so it was difficult to know where to stand! But we made it, the train journey to Krakow is quite boring although it was raining all journey when we went. They do come round with a food and drink trolley so it is quite civilised. :lol:
We ended up going to the salt mine via Krakow Tours and really enjoyed it, we did try and find the local bus to take us there but gave up, no-one seemed to know anything about it....this could be due to the fact that a few years ago they were digging up most of the roads and everything else by the bus station which is next to the train station in Krakow in order to build a new shopping centre which I believe has now been built - so things should be a lot better now! We stayed at the Hotel Atrium which was a 10 minute walk from the train station, we didn't travel particularly light either so we should probably have got a taxi, the town centre is about 15 to 20 mins from the train station....the action is all there so when we go back to Krakow in January 2008, I am aiming to stay in a hotel near to the centre as possible, even though we'll only be there 2 nights either end of a stay in Zakopane as we are going over to see the ski jumping World Cup! The Atrium was a good 3 star hotel but nothing special, there are a lot of other hotels in Krakow that have more character.
We've just returned from Krakow and have had a wonderful time, I cannot recommend this place highly enough. We flew Jet2.com from Newcastle and stayed at the Hotel Classic - I upgraded the room to a suite for a further 20 euros per night. It was a great hotel, great location (3mins from main square) The food and drink was fabulous and very cheap - great value for money. We did 2 trips - Aushwitz and the salat mines. I can't say i enjoyed Aushwitz but I am pleased I went, the Salt mine is a good day out. We made our way to Auswitz by a local bus - 7pln - just over a quid and hired a guide when we got there (150km round trip) and the Salt mine bus journey cost 2 zloty (5.65 to the £) there is an entrance fee but we saved a lot of money going on local transport which was very regular, clean and very cheap.

any questions drop me a line
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.