Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
I guess no news is good news :shock:

Thanks for the info on visas, we've decided to do it at the airprt... :D
Hi
We got back from The Makadi Marine a week ago. What can I say about the Hotel and it's staff? Absolutely fantastic!!!!!!!! I have never been to such a friendly hotel, the waiters were fantastic with my 2 boys teaching them magic tricks etc. The hotel itself is spotlessly clean, the food was good with plenty of variety each day, the pool is a little chilly but that never stopped the kids getting in there. If there is anything else you want to know just give me a shout and I will be as much help as I can - I just wish I was still there :cry:
Thanks for the reply, really good to know... eight weeks to go!!! :D :lol: :D
Hi, did you get to see the Makadi Solymar Star Resort? We are going there in two weeks and would appreciate any information you have.. Are there local places to book excursions etc? Many thanks!
Hi
The Star is part of the same complex as the Marine, all hotels within this complex looked to be of the same good standard. While we were there we did the overnight coach trip to Luxor which we booked through our holiday rep. A lady who was staying in our hotel decided to book her trip to Luxor through a place in Hurghada as it was a lot cheaper - I really wouldnt recommend it - she didnt even end up there, it was a disaster from day one! We also did a boat trip snorkelling on Giftun Island and a couple of other stops in the Red Sea which we booked through the company hiring the snorkelling gear on the beach - well recomended!!!!

While your there try not to miss out on the Olympics which they hold every Monday - great fun! Each Hotel in the resort holds a variety of different activities such as football, volleyball, boules, darts (of which I am the proud owner of a Bronze award) and at the end of the day all the different hotels get together for a desert party to find out which hotel won overall - it really is good fun and a way to get to know other guests in your hotel.

All in all I'm sure you wont be disappointed :D
We've just come back from the Makadi Marine two days ago and you will love it there. Its a lovely sized hotel and you can become 'part of their family' if you want. They love the English because compared to the Russians and Germans we are more polite. Talk to the staff and smile you'll be welcomed with open arms. Its spotlessly clean and all staff cannot do enough for you. The facilities are good everything from darts to archery, table tennis to volley ball. Its all there if you want it. If you snorkel, book from the beach not the reps for the all day or part day trips. Its far cheaper because they don't ferry you into Hurghada first and is arranged via the hotel. The beach is about 1 min walk from the main pool with plenty of sunbeds etc. I'm sure you will have a fantastic time - as we did.
Forgot to mention. Don't worry about getting a visa beforehand, its really straight forward at the airport. You'll fill in a form on the plane and then pay for a visa stamp on your passport at Hurghada airport. We paid £9 each AT THE BANK, our Thomson rep directed us when we arrived. We gave £10 each and got 1LE (egyption pound) in change. Hope thats a help
I am so relieved to see this post we are staying at the Makadi Marine for a week in July after a weeks Nile cruise (first timers to Egypt) and have been trying to get some info since we booked in Novemeber, was begining to think people hadn't responded to my post because the reviews were too negative.

Couple of questions though--- I see that snorkles etc can be hired on the beach, is it better to do this than packing your own?

Are beach towels and hair dryers provided as don't want to carry stuff unnecessarily?

Do you have to go on boat trips to see the coral reefs or can you see this from platforms off the beach?

Thanks in anticipation. powdie :roll: 8)
Hi Powdie, to answer your other questions. If you book your snorkelling trip from the beach as we did it'll only cost you £20 ea for the full day instead of £40 with the reps. And, yes you can use their snorkells, they're provided for you when you book. If you've got your own thats fine, its really your choice if you want to take them with you or not. Hair dryers and beach towels are provided. Your given a towel card ticket when you arrive and you pick fresh towels up every day from the towel hut. There aren't any platforms from the beach in Makadi Bay, but there are some small reefs within easy reach, but you'll see so much more from the boat trips. The best one we took was actually the half day trip, the reefs seem to be better and your in a smaller boat with less people - much better. I think that was about £12 each. Hope this has helped. Any more questions - just ask. Janetia
Thks Janetia, I am actually beginning to get excited about going now that I have seen some response about the hotel and resort, thinking I had made big mistake booking up to then, so thankyou for your input it real does help. powdie :wink:
Janetia,

Thanks for the info, is appreciated! 4 weeks on Friday and counting :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just one question, I have read the posts on the all inclusive packages on some places and I wondered if the restrictions apply...ie are you restricted to certain types of drinks or can you have whatever you want? (locally produced of cousre!)

Need to get the priorities checked out eh? :wink:
Hi Powdie, there were no restrictions on the local drinks, any time during the day, till midnight, then you'll be charged. In fact the beer was on pump to help yourself along with the wines - white, rose and red. All soft drinks and ice cream (just in case you get fed up with the booze - ha ha) is all day too. And thats at any bar - pool or beach. Don't be at all worried about this hotel, you will love it, honest. Janetia
Hi Markaty :)

What date do you return? I fly to Egypt on the 12th of July for a 4 night Nile cruise and then a weeks stay in the Sol Y Mar Makadi Marine and then 3 nights in Luxor. I hope if you return before I leave you will be able to let me know what your views of the hotel are. I am really looking forward to it as so far I have only read good reports about it so far!! :D

Also does anyone happen to know how much the day trip to Cairo is, I read somewhere that it can be done from Makadi Bay about it but can't remember a price.

Briar
Is there any chance we can get the Sol Y Mar Makadi Marine added to the hotel review page so that some of the folks who have been already could post a review? I promise to post one when I get back in July.

Thanks
Leanna
Hi Markaty, sorry replied to Powdie on my last post, not you, can only put it down to jet lag and sun stroke. Yes, you can do Cairo from Makadi Bay, can't remember the actual price (possibly about £90 ea) but we did Luxor overnight and that was £116 ea. if thats any help. Janetia
Scubaleanna,

We fly out on the 30th June and return on the 15th July, so you will have left by then, but we will definately post a review when we get back... I too have been looking for reviews and have not found anything negative yet, so fingers crossed.. sooo excited now!!! :hyper :yipee
Got back yesterday, was fantastic. I have added a review in the hotel review section.
Can't believe it is all over :cry:
Fantastic holiday, fantastic hotel and a fantastic country!! :D

Got back on the 26th July so I know this is a little slow but as promised I finally have posted a review on the Makadi Marine and a review for Makadi Bay if anyone wants any info.

Leanna
Booked this hotel at the weekend! We are travelling on 31st August for 2 weeks, has anyone else booked up???

Lou
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.