Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
The hotel a lot of cruise people use is the continental on la Ramblas, short walk from Plac de catalunia where the Aero bus from the airport stops.

24hr buffet and complimentary drinks.
http://www.hotelcontinental.com/

On our last trip in Jan we stayed here on a recomendation and would again.
http://www.gargallo-hotels.com/delmar/index.english.html

got a good rate so worth trying(not sure if they do triples) did not eat there.

Not far from the train station estacio de franca cheap train from the airport a lot of busses go by here including the bus tourist, there is a subway station near bu and 10min walk to la ramblas.

Hotels in BCN are a mixed bag so do some research I use
http://www.tripadvisor.com

If you have not been before try to learn a bit about the transport system, easy to use and OK price , start with the T10 tickets.
http://www.tmb.cat/en_US/barcelona/moute/targetes/targetes.jsp
Thanks windjammer will look into them all :)
annx
Another to consider is the 3 star Gran Ducat, about 200 metres from the pick-up for the Aerobus. We had our daughter with us (15 at that time), and the room was perfectly adequate, with an excellent simple breakfast included.
Hotel Continental and Gran Ducat full for our dates ,it is August after all,booked 4*EXPO HOTEL
swayed by the swimming pool to keep grandson happy,also not to far from Camp nou as booking
a tour for a surprise for him :)
annx

thanks both for your help
Went on this ship last September, you are going to have a fab time.
Thanks liz mc our first time on RCI so nice having a good report :)
thanks annx
Hi ports of call for this cruise are[can we do these on our own?,or will we need to book through RCI]
NAPLES

ROME

FLORENCE

NICE

PROVENCE

Thanks for any help
Annx :)
If you take the time to look through the thread entitled DIY SHORE EXCURSIONS - MED/RED SEA AREA you will get all the advice you need!!
Ohhh I'm so jealouse we did this cruise last September and you have just brought back lots of lovely memories....you will love it.
Have a great time.
Thank you liz any info on the tours you did?would love to hear from you :)
annx
Hi Anne

If it is the same itinery we did I can help, we DIY'd Rome as it is so easy to do from Cittivetchia (can't spell I know!) We did the ships tour to Villafrance to a place called Eze this included Nice as well and it was well worth the price of the trip as the views from Eze where fab.
We did the trip to Capri but have to say we should have done it D.I.Y as it was very easy and the day was too long there for what there was to see and do, we where clock watching waiting to get back on the ship...but it is stunning, just looking in the designer shops and seeing the stars houses etc was really nice seeing how the other half live!! Go on the cable car up to the top its called Annacapri the views are amazing.

Have a great time

Liz
p.s We don't like Palermo (been before) so stayed on the ship.
Hi Liz thanks for all the information that,s a great help sooooo looking forward to the cruise,
just returned from a cruise on The Carnival Glory eastern caribbean that was also great,
our 2nd on Carnival hoping for another good one on RCI :)
Annx
Forgot to say we did the tour of Florence and Pisa but didn't enjoy at all. But each to their own.
Have agreat time, let us know how you got on....any room for lil ole me???
Will do Liz :) can you get in a suitcase? :rofl :rofl
Annx
Just had all our tickets, boarding passes for this cruise!!after requesting 2nd sitting dining we have been
put on 1st sitting :que is this easy to change when on board???have always had our 2nd sitting with no problem,
18:30 find a bit of a rush when been on a tour.[this is our first time on R..C.I]
Thanks Annx
Returned Sunday night from the Voyager of the Seas med cruise,all had a super time, ship first class has the WOW factor
the ship had a refurb in May/June carpets ect all new,lovely clean state rooms,food excellent but found the Island Grill buffet
better than the dining room which we only used twice,could not change our dining time and found 1st sitting much to early,we were
told to complain to our T/A as the 2nd sitting was taken over by the the Spanish guests who insisted on 2nd dining over half the guests
on the cruise were Spanish . We took advise from HT members and did all but one port of call DIY, the train into Rome was easy it was so hot
that day we took the open top tourist bus and saw all the main sites with out having to rush about,we enjoyed Pisa and shared a taxi
there with another family which saved us 75 euro ,the day at Villafranche was a nice way to relax for a few hrs on the beach.our grandson made lots of friends and ate with them most nights and enjoyed the facilities put on for them.We went to 3 of the shows
Broadway,The Beatles,but for us the Ice show was the icing on the cake :)it was stunning, looking forward to our next RCI cruise to Australia Tasmania
and New Zealand next March
annx
When we cruised on Navigator from Barcelona they told us that the second seating was ALWAYS given to the Spanish cruisers first, as "it is their custom'- it was 9pm so it was too late for me but I don't think your TA can change that policy.
Why offer it in the first place :que we booked our cruise 7 months in advance and had the option of
1st or 2nd dining we pay the same for the cruise as the Spanish so why should they have priority over
us?? its worth a complaint will see what they say.
annx
When we did this cruise on Voyager we had the option to choose which sitting we had. We went for the 6.30p.m sitting due to having children. It was mainly Americans when we did it back in 2006 :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.