Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
You are no more likely to be a victim of street crime in Turkey then at home. I dont know where your travel agent gets his information, but I've been going to Turkey every year since 1999 and never heard of anyone being robbed. You need to exercise the same caution you would anywhere else.
This year will be my 11th year in Turkey and I have never yet met anyone who has been a victim of a street robbery. Having said that, I have never met anyone in Manchester who has been either. Think that says it all - you are as safe there as anywhere. Just take the normal, sensible precautions you would take at home. Hope you have a great holiday. :wave
I have never heard of any street crime in Olu Deniz in the six years we have been going there. I can't think of anywhere that I feel safer. Regarding your "expensive" watch, there are that many fake designer watches in Turkey I doubt if anyone would notice, if in doubt, leave it at home.
Thought that was the case, typical sales person. I knew i would get a sensible reply here. I can now go with my bit of bling, plus its always a bit of a laugh to see how quickly the local jewelers spot it
thanks
been to turkey twice a year now since 1996 ,icmeler ,bodrum marmaris ,and belek never heard of any street crime ,not saying it has not happened ,but as in any country you dont flash what you have got ,with comments like that ,it is a wonder your travel agent sells any holidays,maybe they were trying to steer you somewhere else :?:
I was in Olu Deniz the week before last, it seemed very safe. Ive got a feeling the laws in Turkey might be a bit stricter than here so that probably helps. i.e you dont get community service for loads of things you actually go to jail.
Olu Deniz is a tourist resort the last thing they want there is you getting done over. We were there last month with no hint of problems and going back next year.
We felt it was one of the safest resorts we have ever stayed in. It felt safe if that makes sense.
We allowed our 15 yr old and her friend to walk around in the evenings by theirselves in resort, and they often visited a bar called Crusoes in a large group. This is something we previously would not have considered on holiday - we are normally very strict!!

:D
We went to Olu Deniz in June. I am 41yrs old and had never been abroad before but i can honestly say that once i got accustomed to being in another country :lol: i have never felt as safe in a seaside resort in the UK as i did in Olu Deniz. Was fantastic and i miss it already. :D
I have been to many places abroad, but my first time to Turkey was July 06. I felt really safe there, even though it wasnt in Olu Deniz, it was in Marmaris and I had a fantastic time. I even went for dinner on my own on the last evening as my Husband was ill. I dont know if I would have done this in Spain/Greece.
Mary
I travel to Olu Deniz by myself, I am 30.

I feel safe walking alone at night to visit the main street and also visit some of the bars with the hotels staff. I actually feel safer there than in some parts of London, where I live.

Have a great holiday. :D
The police are very strict regarding theft were tourists are involved as they want us to keep going to Turkey.
Having said that In all the years we have been holidaying there we have never had a problem.
Every one goes out of their way to be helpful cannot do enough for you,
dont be afraid you will have a wonderful time.
ive been going to turkey for over 24 years now and have never heard of any crimes, i feel safer there than the uk, ive been to olu a few times and love it and feel totally safe

a few years ago my husband left his back pack in a taxi in altinkum, it contained all our passports, travel docs, £600 in travel chqs and about £300 in cash, camera etc , we rang the restaurant that organised the taxi and got the whole lot back, i know if we had done this in the uk the ending would have been different
LOL - I thought exactly the same as you Scousemouse
Regarding your "expensive" watch, there are that many fake designer watches in Turkey I doubt if anyone would notice
The only "crime" we encountered was a hotel dog running off with a cigarette box and someone's wallet!

:D
We're here ın Olu rıght now and ıt's our thırd nıght ın the resort. The fırst nıght we got hassled a bıt to buy stuff and book trıps but now they all seem to know us and leave us alone to walk around ın the evenıng ın peace. Lovely resort and lovely people. :D
well we got bk last week and i wouldnt want to walk aroun on my own. the men were following us around the hotel so i hate to think what would happen in the town.
The simple fact regarding this question is: If you are planning on walking around the resort and pointing out to everybody how expensive your watch is, then you are asking for trouble, not just in Olu Deniz, but anywhere in the world. However, if you want to just enjoy yourself, then I am sure that you will have no problem at all. It really is a great place, with some of the friendliest people in the world. Of course you will get the odd chap hassling you to buy some cheap t-shirts, but in the end, they are more interested in your custom than your watch!!
Wittster.
well we got bk last week and i wouldnt want to walk aroun on my own. the men were following us around the hotel so i hate to think what would happen in the town.

Gosh, it is amazing how different perceptions are. I walked out on my own a lot in Olu Deniz and found that i was treated with courtesy. Not only did i feel safe as a women i also felt safe to walk in any corner shop and change up £100 for lira. This is something i would never do in a corner shop at home. :shock:

Cyberspacekadette....i am glad you are having good time. 8)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.