Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
"First Luggage"
6 Posts
Hi Tom,

We used this service when flying with BA to Bermuda last year and it was fantastic :D

Our luggage was picked up from home by a courier 3 days before we were due to depart, they put bar code labels on them and double checked the details with us and took them away. I have to admit to being a little nervous watching all my belongings disappear in a van :cry:

However on arrival at our hotel in Bermuda we were reunited with our suitcases in perfect condition, they'd been shrink wrapped so super secure and everything intact. They did offer two servives for different pricing last year.....pick up at destination airport or delivery to hotel, we chose the latter and it was slightly more expensive but worth it as we were straight out the airport both in the UK and in Bermuda.

Would definitely use the service again on long haul especially.
:yikes At £129 for a suitcase to the States I think I would rather haul my own luggage!
At £129 for a suitcase to the States I think I would rather haul my own luggage!

and 105 quid for a stroller!! :shock:
Probably be cheaper to leave luggage and just buy new stuff out there!!
It's all relative if your spending in excess of £4,000 for a "special" holiday as we did, the extra cost was tiny by comparison and the luggage being transported for us along with meet & greet at the airport instead of regular parking made our whole holiday 110% more pleasurable.
I was actually thinking of using them for a cruise. We like to cruise with Celebrity who do formal evenings - ie, dinner-suit for the men, a gown or cocktail dress for the women - which we enjoy very much. The problem is packing the formal wear into the same suitcase as the rest of our stuff for a 10 or 12-night cruise. Even if you can get it all in, there's a likelihood of getting the dresses, etc, crushed. So the cost of sending a bag from the UK to,say, Civitavecchia & back would be OK given the amount of extra stuff it would allow us to take.

Unfortunately there's a problem with using First Luggage for cruises. They need somewhere to deliver the luggage to, and from which it can be collected at the end of the holiday. As Miss_Chief1 described, delivery to & collection from a hotel is perfect and works well. Trouble with fly-cruising to the Med is that we fly out the day the cruise starts, so we never stay at a hotel, and we certainly fly home the day it ends. The cruise lines themselves don't have a regular, permanent presence in the port(s). This only leaves the line's port agent, and they're not really interested in handling luggage. So at the moment it looks as if it won't work for us, which is a pity. However, having done this research I've written to the cruise line of our choice and explined the issue, and I'll see what they say. There must be a lot of UK-based cruise fans in the same situation....
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.