Spain - Canary Islands - Fuerteventura Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Fuerteventura.
To upgrade to AI is around 18Euro per adult per day and 9 euro per child per day :tup
nanita, I was in the Barcelo Hotel in May and the 2000's apartments were being modernised..I think 1000's and 3000's were already done..
many thanks for that, we really enjoyed this complex , hope it is still as good and the food and weather are good in February.
Has anyone booked these apartments with Portland Direct? I have seen the prices listed for upgrading to all inclusive - is this just for those who book half board or can you upgrade from self catering also. Does anyone know if this complex has a gym and if not can we use the one at Barcelo Thalasso Spa. Are there restaurants within walking distance. Finally, sorry about all the questions, is there a games room on site (snooker, arcade games etc) and will that an all the other facilities be open in March and April?
GILL, The prices for upgrading apply to those on half board only, as far as I am aware you cannot upgrade from self catering to AI. You should e-mail the hotel and ask for upgrade prices :tup

You can use the facilities of the hotel even when you are in the self catering apartments. the thalasso spa treatments cost extra but you might be able to get discounts because you are a resident.

The hotel has a small gym and jacuzzi this can be accessed from the gate entrance next to the mini golf and is situated across from the pool bar on the left of the path, also there is a brilliant heated pool just next to the bar which I'm sure you can use too.

I've been to both the apartments and the hotel and I think you'll have a great time :tup :sun2
Thank you for your reply - any information would be appreciated - do the apartments also have a heated pool or is it just the hotel? Did you notice if there were any games room at either facility. Would also be interested in knowing if any of the facilities will not be available during Easter break. THANKS
I think there is a kids games room in the hotel under reception with a pool table, but my kids dont bother with the clubs so I'm not that sure. My daughter told me there is a heated pool up near the 3000's apartments which are nearer the hotel... this is probably because its mostly Italian/German/Spanish peeps that are put there. The pools at the apartments are not that cold and at easter it should be quite warm. We usually go in March and my kids are perfectly happy swimming at that time of year.
Sandy Beaches - thank you for your reply - really appreciate the info. Got a response from the El Castillo yesterday saying one small pool would be heated. They did say that we would not be able to use the facilities of the hotel next door but we could use the gym at a charge of 5 euros per apartment per day - must admit I'm getting a bit confused as to what is part of what facility... dont know if he meant the gym in the hotel next door or if they have their own but we would have to pay for it. You mention that you went in March - we are thinking of going at the beg of April - what was the split of Nationalities like when you went? Also - was the weather good? If you had to pick would you choose the apartments or the hotel?
I'd go to the hotel, I found it very good compared to the apartments and the pools are great. If you really want to use the gym then its worth just spending that little bit more. Going half board would mean you can upgrade very reasonably and not have to keep forking out for beers and ice creams etc, I think the food at the hotel is much better than at the apartments and the pool bar food is very good so you can snack all day and use the dining room at other times. The pool bar for AI is mainly self service for selected spirits, beers, soft drinks, teas and coffees.

In April the weather should be very good and the pool should still be heated at that time.

There is a good mix of guests at the hotel, and the staff are very pleasant especially if you bung them a tip now and again. The entertainment is better at the hotel too. :tup
Hello, I have stayed at the appts before, so I know about the facility. We went the first time when the Hotel next dorr was just scrubland...seems to have changed a lot since 1997 !

Back then we went s/c, this time we are going AI - £1200 for three of us the week before Xmas - its cheaper than staying here !

Can anyone who has done AI here give me the lowdown on what to expect, how its managed, quality etc

Cheers
If anyone can assist by posting a review please do so HERE :tup

Pippy :)
uknewsfan,

I liked my apartment, but hated the food, I loved the Hotel and loved the food... If you look at some of the reviews for the apartments, lots of them will say the food was awful some will say it was ok, I certainly didn't like it but I am a wee bit fussy. Dont worry about it, there is plenty to choose from and if you get sick of it there is some lovely places to eat around the resort. If you want a night in and want something decent to watch on your TV call reception as they will get someone to put bbc1 on for you.. they have the satilitte dish and the means to do it but unless you ask they wont :tup The apartments have been refurbished since I was there and if you could post a review when you come back it would be appreciated :D
0Well we got back last night, and had a great time.

The weather at the start of the week was a lttle dull, however from Wed thru Sat was "proper" holiday weather.
The appts were great, we were in 3048 and were delighted with the facilities. Years ago we stayed in 1000's, and were as happy, so no complaints on that score.
The accomodation along with reception and gardens, have benefitted from some considerable investment it appears.

Now, my / our gripe. All inclusive.....

Breakfast, you could cobble together a decent meal

Lunch - well the only things free, ie all inclusive, were chips, burgers and hot dogs - the rest had an all inclusive price, lower than the price for Joe public, but a price all the same -which isnt good at the curent exchange rates. Thats not all inclusive, and if it wasnt xmas I may make a major fuss over it.

Evening meal - the term my 10 year old used was "swill" - and I dont disagree.

Drink - cant argue with diet coke/sprite/sam mig' and decent scotch on tap

So dont hesitate to book the accomodation, but stick to B&B or S/C and buy the drinks armband
Hi
Could you give me some for information on the all inclusive food, we went to this complex a couple of years ago and liked so much we fly back our there 11th Feb 09. Am a little concerned as the food was really good when we went last time, Paella fresh fish etc.
Would be really grateful for a reply.
Thanks
:wave:
Hi Nanita, I thought the food at the Apartments was awful, I would only go B&B or Self catering. The hotel food was far superior :tup
Hi

We have just arrived back after 7 fabulous days at the Barcelo Club El Castillo. I would like to give an very honest opinion of this holiday , to say excellent is probably an understatement. I ahbve been before about 4 years ago, well entertainment is much the same with kids mini disco each night but it keeps the little ones happy and busy, the adult entertainment is also okay with something different each night eg, flamenco evening, chinese acrobats, etc.
The food was very good I have no complaints here, fresh fish griddled for lunch, various choices for dinner and lunch, and breakfast was the usual full breakfast or coissants toast yoghurts cereal fresh pancakes etc, If you dont like one thing you just go get something else, Choices of juice and tea coffee etc and the staff very helpful,
Our room was basic but your on holiday i did not book the Ritz! The room was clean and tidy and you just put the card on the door for the room to be tidied.
The reception staff and bar staff were also friendly and helpful.
We had just one incident where my 15yr old daughter had her bag stolen from the pool but the security staff and seen it happen and tackled him outside of the hotel complex and the main items MP3 and Mobile phone were returned to her, We made an official complaint with the police and he was arested and charged.
The security at the hotel could not have been more accomadating they even to my partner to Puerto del Rosario to the Police station to complete the paperwork .
So I can definately say that this complex is well worth going to All Inclusive.
I had even e-mailed them a request for a room near to the dining area which was also given and confirmed by e-mail .
So please :if you want to know anything about this complex please do not hesiate to e-mail me.
:) :wave:
Can somebody tell me if the Barcelo Club El Castillo, Fuerteventura has been renovated. Also are there any ground floor detached bungalows (not the ones with an apartment on top). If so what location (quiet) is best (not too near the entertainment and close to the breakfast buffet!) :)
Hi there read my report on this complex which is already on the forum, we stayed in apartment across the road to main reception which is all part of the complex our apt was 1095 and was basic but adequate for us and was a bungalow with no apt on top.. the aprtment which have been renovated are in the 2000's but dont get worried there numbering is a bit eratic dont worry there are not thousands of apt's.
food is great please read my other review i wrote when we rtnd recently (18.02.09)
feel free to e-mail the reception they are very helpful
elcastillo@barcelo.com :wave:
Hi nanita, i'm so glad that they seem to have gotten their act together with regards the food, if they have that right then I wouldn't have any hesitation in booking again :tup I'm also glad your daughter got her valuables back :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.