Spain - Canary Islands - Lanzarote Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Lanzarote.
Hi micky

In Playa Blanca you have a choice really of 2, Nettos or Spar,there are 2 netto shops within about 100 yards of each other and a Spar in between, some stuff is pricier than UK some isn't, its just a case of shopping between the 2 shops

Hope this helps :)
Mickey

There is also a Hiperdino supermarket at the top of town.

This has an underground car park with ticket machines by the lift and is the best place if you want your car close-by.

It is located almost opposite the bus terminus. Drive down into town past the petrol station then take the right hand exit at the next roundabout and you will see Hiperdino on the left, take the next small left turning and the entrance to the car park is on the left.

If you use Google Earth copy and paste the following map coordinates into the 'Fly To' box and click the magnifiying glass and it should show you the area (bear in mind the map image was taken before the supermarket was built so just shows the waste ground where it now stands)

28°51'43.21"N, 13°49'58.05"W

The cheapest supermarkets are up near the airport but whether its worth the drive is debatable

hope this helps
Andy
just from CT,i would advise you shop in the Spar rather than Netto...Spar is much cheaper,i bought a bottle off wine in both and spar was 1 euro cheaper
Netto in Puerto del Carmen has just turned into HiperDino Express!!!! Has that happened in Playa Blanca as well?
Hi Micky , we used spar and netto in Playa Blanca both were good for prices, alcohol is unbelievably cheap , we saw 1 ltr wine cartons for 1 euro ! cava for only 3euro, cans of san miguel 50cents. on the food side i would say home produced goods are cheaper than uk , bread has gone up a lot like in the uk , but making your own sandwiches works out cheaper than buying. Dairy products are expensive ( not many cows on Lanzarote) sun tan lotions quite expensive.
we took about 5kg of products in our hold luggage which we have found to be cheaper in uk , we just took less clothes! the products we took were Cheese (you can get half-price or BOGOF in uk supermarkets) keep in fridge till leaving and wrap in foil or cool bag, marg/butter , 250g pot costs about 3euro 500g pot costs £1 in uk, buy suntan lotions when theyre on offer in any uk outlet , jar of coffee , salad cream to make your own coleslaw and grater for carrot/cabbage also bottle of squash (bubble-wrap) for cheap drinks, cereals. We also buy cooked meat from the deli counter , far cheaper than pre-packed, we took out foods that cost us around £20 uk prices and they would have cost us over 40 euros in Lanzarote, we then spent the 40 euros saved on going out etc. a couple of years ago we wouldn't have bothered but the euro exchange makes you think twice.
Good advice Andy

Especially the sun protection products which are an unbelievable price in the canaries.

I must however give a warning that you must pack and weigh carefully and give yourself a wee bit of leeway on the weight to take into account diffrences in your home scales and the airport versions. ( I have never had a case weigh the same !!, makes you wonder doesn't it ? )

Dont fall into the trap of one couple we saw whose over ambitious packing of UK goods cost them £80 in excess baggage charges ( Ryanair). Now that somewhat defeats the object.

HTH
Andy
We bought some luggage scales earlier this year and i always check-weigh each case 3 times!! and they are really accurate , we got caught a couple of years ago by XL and got charged 9kg x 10 euros , not a happy way to finish your holiday , we have been very strict since then as the airlines are certainly charging excess if you're over , we are also going to look for lighter cases/bags as our cases weigh nearly 5kg so thats 25% of your allowance gone straightaway.
On the suntan lotion we manage to get Piz buin for £16 in tesco BOGOF so 8 quid each , the same were 18 euros in spar so about £16 each , once again its not that Lanzarote has become expensive , its more to do with exchange rates and everyone now being more aware of prices than before and willing to shop around to save a few quid.
the best prices are in the hiperdino :-)
Which one Karsten? In my experience the prices are different in a lot of them :)
In PB the Hiperdino has the biggest selection and best prices.
Yes definitely right as Karsten (hi my German honey!) and Robertk (hi pal!) have said. Hiperdino in Playa Blanca is the cheapest and largest supermarket in the resort. Spar, Netto and Maxcoop have their bargains... but for a main food shop the Hiperdino wins hands down. That's only speaking for Playa Blanca though.

But don't get your fruit and veg in there - go to the fruteria right outside the door which is cheaper and better quality.

Elle xx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.