UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Have you priced the train into Cardiff and then a taxi from there?
Sorry if it's a daft question but is driving there out of the question? I suggest you price up the train, as Helen says and then taxi or bus to the airport.

This may be handy for you- http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=1697
Hubby reckons a taxi shouldn't cost you no more than around £25 from the station to the airport, and depending what date & time you're looking at, there are returns available for £15 per person from Bristol To Cardiff. Worth having a look at!
Thank you guys! :) We need to be at the airport for 12.15 (lunch time) on 20th July and we return to Cardiff airport at 5.30am. Helen that's not a bad price for taxi thank you I will look now and Shirley thank you I will have a look on the website you have given me.

CourtneeLouise xx
I thought I was cracking up for a minute, I answered this 2 hours ago but now realise it's been asked in 2 places. The full answer on times is under Cardiff Airport. And don't go near the Trainline (ever), they charge a booking fee that can be avoided. If you want to be stuck with Advance tickets use http://www.firstgreatwestern.com but if the return flight is late you'll have to buy new tickets - and you can only get Advance to Cardiff Central which means you'll have to add £3.50 each way to get to the airport. If you want flexible tickets which will only cost a bit more just buy them on the day and straight through to Rhoose (but make sure you get returns).
Based on 3 adults im assuming.....
Out on 20th returning 27th...
Coaches every hour from Bristol to Cardiff Central and best coach probably 0830 returning Cardiff Central to Bristol.
£36.20 for 3.
Taxi one way is between £25-£29. I think its £27 using the on airport taxi firm and no more than 30min drive.
Total - £90.20 return
or
Train leaving Bristol TM 10:21 change Cardiff Central, arrive Cardiff Airport 12:11
Return 07:06 (or 08:06 to allow more time if flight delayed) change Cardiff Central, arrive Bristol TM 08:51 (or 09:53)
Off peak flexible return also £74.70, but may apply to specific timings.
£74.70 for 3 returns by train is correct as long as bought as return through tickets Temple Meads to Rhoose/CIA (which is the easiest way). If bought in sections to/from Cardiff Central or as singles in each direction it would be dearer. Although described as Off Peak I can't find any journey where a dearer Anytime ticket would be needed - when you think about it there really isn't a peak in travel from Temple Meads to Rhoose! Because it's flexible you don't have to worry about delays coming back, I really mean that, even if there was another ash cloud the return part would be valid until August 19th!! Last service back at night isn't until 22:06 from Rhoose (in Temple Meads before midnight).

That price doesn't have to be bought in advance, you could do it at Temple Meads on the day, just allow some time. And make sure you ask for "Rhoose, Off peak return". If you buy them in advance make sure the outward journey is specified as July 20th - the outward portion has to be used on the day shown. If you travel into Temple Meads by local train there will be a direct fare to Rhoose from any station. There are cheaper, unflexible Advance fares to Central but by the time you've added the fare to Rhoose the savings aren't much benefit compared to flexiblity.

Bear in mind that the 12:11 arrival time at Rhoose doesn't include any allowance for the shuttle bus to the terminal - it may be free but it still needs some time! I'd go on the 09:21 to be safe. Likewise the xx:06 departures from Rhoose need extra time from the terminal.
I'm from Cardiff and your cheapest way is train to Cardiff Airport from Bristol, get a ticket in Bristol that has Cardiff Airport on it and change in Cardiff central and get the train on platform 5/6 that takes you straight to the airport.

pretty easy
there is no platform 5 at Cardiff Central, I believe it was demolished in the 60's.

Rhoose/Airport trains (which will show Bridgend via Barry as destination) normally go from platform 7. Fast trains to Bridgend (on the way to somewhere further west) do not call at Rhoose.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.