Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
no mcfester like you looking forward to my hols as we have booked and going 3 July back to golden sands as usual :sun2 :cheers june
I could'nt really see any GS holidays when searching, i wasnt looking but everytime my search brought up SB? Only 5 & 7 months to go! Wish it was tomorrow though :(
I could'nt really see any GS holidays when searching, i wasnt looking but everytime my search brought up SB?

Balkan Holidays offer holidays in most of the Black Sea resorts, including Golden Sands, Sveti Konstantin & Albena - many of the other UK tour operators have focused on the Southern resorts, like Sunny Beach, for the last couple of seasons.

Baldur
Like balder said we have always booked through Balkans .Tried to book through other operaters but they only flew to Bourgas :que
Most of us are looking forward to this years hols in Bulgaria, however, the forum does go quiet leading up to March/April as virtually nothing has happened in the resorts since October.

:sun2 Toonman
....virtually nothing has happened in the resorts since October.

Apart from the usual building work, which has restarted to some extent, now that the Bulgarian banks are again offering credit to those developments/renovations which they consider to be financially viable. ;)

Baldur
I would love to be going back to Golden Sands as I love the resort. However, we cant fly into Varna now and instead have to fly to Bourgas. The transfer by coach puts us off as I understand it can take almost 3 hours.

If flights do become available into Varna I wouldn't hesitate to go back. Have had a few holidays in Sunny Beach , which we enjoyed, but Golden Sands/St Konstantine/Albena are all favourites of mine.
If flights do become available into Varna I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

Balkan are flying into Varna from several UK airports, according to their schedules but most of the other tour operators appear to have been enticed to fly into Burgas.

As you say, it's a potentially long transfer of around 150 kilometres from Burgas airport up to Albena - not great, especially if your party includes children.

Baldur
Baldur - Sorry I should have said Edinburgh is our local airport and no flights to Varna. Our next nearest airport is Glasgow but on the Balkan website if you try to book from Glasgow to Varna... a message appears saying "note all fights landing at Bourgas" etc.etc. Its deceiving because you think you are booking Glasgow to Varna but no such luck!
Yes, Cardiff flights are the same - any holidays to the Northern coastal resorts mean a long transfer from Burgas (even then, the flights are often merged with those from Belfast and involve a stopover on at least one leg of the journey).

Baldur
Yes morh we used to have the option Edinburgh or Newcastle as we live in the borders we used Edinburgh a few times but it was cheaper for us to fly from Newcastle as the suppliments was far cheaper :que June
June52

Newcastle departure for us "might" be worth thinking about in the future, just so disappointed about Edinburgh flight.
Where are you staying in Golden Sands?
we are going to the shipka this year have stayed in quite a few hotels in g/s but the ones we wanted are no longer in the brochure. Balkans have lost a lot of the hotels in the past few years june
Yes, I have seen lots and lots of changes in GS. You obviously know the resort well - Shipka in good location.

Think one of the biggest changes is to the area at the Square where the old Rodina used to be. Dont like the look of the "Eiffel Tower".
yes morh seen lots of changes since 1994 thats when we first started going to g/s but they are not for the good of it.We have made quite a few good Bulgarian friends they are worth going back to see :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.