France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
I think you might be able to link the two cities by rail, but there can be quite a wait at the Spanish/French border because the two types of rail track are different.
Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:54 pm Post subject:
I think you might be able to link the two cities by rail, but there can be quite a wait at the Spanish/French border because the two types of rail track are different.

Errrrrrrrr
Both France and Spain use the "Standard gauge" so why do you say the two type of rail track are different ??

Not totally on topic but I'm interested as I do like railways

As for the topic
Why fly to Gerona when Perpignan has an airport you could fly direct to and get decent car hire there
Madcaravanner - I've sent you a PM!
Both France and Spain use the "Standard gauge" so why do you say the two type of rail track are different ?? .

Spain does not use standard gauge, but the broader Irish 5'3''. So you either quietly change trains or hang about for an hour while they change the wheels. (seriously...)

Only the AVE Madrid-Seville uses standard gauge
Ta Dee Tee

Thats the T?ransfesa your on about forgot about the main lines bering Irish

know the new Franc eSpain high speed link is Standard gauge
I regret that flying direct to Perpignan is not possible from Ireland,

This is a pity and this is where Girona comes in,

Regards,

Billyboy.
from gerona airport you can get a bus to the main train station which is also the main bus station for a few euros. once there trains to perpignan or buses are frequent. it is on the main barcelona - france line. check out http://www.renfe.com for spanish trains, sncf.com for french trains or eurolines.com for buses.have a a good time. where does your user name come from??
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.