Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
BryBry,
Talk about spoilt for choice !!
You don't say if you'll have transport; if you are hiring a car, then the Meia Praia Beach resort will fit the bill ideally for you. It is situated, as it's name suggests, on the Meia Praia beach and is a nice complex with its own pool, but, when you see the Meia Praia beach, that's where you'll want to be - it's a 5k.m. stretch of white sand with a gentle slope into the sea. ,It's lifeguard patrolled and has some great beach bars; only problem is that it's a 5 euro taxi ride from the centre of Lagos.
Lagos itself is a beautiful resort with a fantastic choice of first class restaurants, and bars to suit all tastes. As for histoy and culture, Lagos was once the capital of the Algarve and it's from there that Henry the Navigator set sail on his voyages of discovery.Burgau is only a 15 minute bus ride out of Lagos, and, further west you can visit Sagres where Henry built his school of navigation and you can still see the original compass dug out in the ground.
Lagos has a beautiful Marina and you can take cruises along the coastline or go dolphin-watching from there. Another advantage is that Lagos is on the Algarve railway system- your complex is about 1000 metres from the station - so this would give you access to many resorts along the coast.
Hope this is of some help - ask again if there's anything else you'd like to know.
Thank you for your informative response! So it sounds like Lagos would be good place for us.

Oh, yes we plan on renting a car! Thanks.
In that case I think it would suit you down to the ground !!
If you need any recommendations for restaurants or bars, don't hesitate to shout.
P.S. I forgot to mention the trip along the grottos ( a must-see ) in the fishermen's boats and the breathtaking little secluded coves and beaches. I could go on forever !!
Told you I could go on forever !!- take a look at < http://www.simplylagos.com > this will give you an idea of the resort.If you like it and want further suggestions for bars/restaurants, just ask.
Hi BryBry,

What a choice! If you haven't already set your mind on Lagos, I can tell you a little about some of the ones in Albufeira. Clube Praia da Oura is set right on a lovely beach and is close to the southern end of The Strip so there are plenty of bars and restaurants close by. Clube Albufeira is a mile or so inland, above the Old Town, but it does have courtesy buses for guests. The Old Town has many bars and restaurants, and you can't get much more romantic than dining under the stars (whoops, I just put "stairs" and the romance kind of evaporated!) on a balmy evening, gazing out over the bay and watching the twinkling lights of the sardine boats. Or wandering down through the quaint little alleyways, bougainvillea spilling out from the roof terraces, heading for the turquoise sea framed by the fishermen's cottages .......... :love

Right, back to the business in hand. I think the Montechoro Clube 99 was in your message, but you didn't mention the Montechoro Beach Club. I think the former must be near the Montechoro Hotel, but the Beach Club, as its name suggests, is right on Praia da Oura. We've stayed there and can recommend it.

The Four Seasons Vilamoura looks very classy but is not on the beach. Pestanas are usually very good. Have you looked to see which are Gold Crown resorts? I know this isn't always reliable but it's usually a fairly good indication.

Wherever you stay, you'll be able to visit a multitude of fantastic beaches, from tiny secret coves to long stretches of fine golden sand. If you want to see places of historical and cultural interest Albufeira might be a good choice as it's right in the centre of the Algarve coast and so the whole region is easily accessible from it.

You'll love the Algarve and I'm sure you'll want to come back time and time again!
Nope, our mind is set on nothing...these are some difficult choices we have to make! We have to pick our top 3 to submit to the timeshare company.

Thanks everyone!
Hi Brybry,

My good lady :P and I honeymooned at Club Praia D'Oura nearly 9 years ago. It was a great location for the beach and the Strip (we were younger then and looking for plenty of nightlife). We made them aware we were honeymooners and they gave us an enormous apartment facing directly onto the beach/sea(only yards from the beach), basket of fruit, free wine etc. The views from our terrace were brilliant, sea to the front, beach either side and no timeshare peeps walking past every 10 mins. We also got the sunrise and sunset. The pool is way too small(even tho' quite large) for the number of apartments but we beached it every day anyway. We only have good things to say about CPO but then again only good things about the Algarve! :D

I would now prefer the Old Town or Lagos as you get great eating places, bars etc but it can be quiet or wild, depends on where U go, both are available so there is a choice. Depends on what you are into and your age I suppose.

Look around and see what takes your fancy, I'm sure plenty of people on this site will be able to add some ideas and info.

PS: We hire a villa every time we visit now, great privacy, own pool etc but don't know if your timeshare company will cover this??

Good luck, feel free to ask. 8)

Lummie
Hi BryBry,

I can't comment on any of the complexes you list above because I haven't stayed at them but I would encourage you to think about the Alvor area. However, my main reason for replying is that a number of the palces you list aren't on the Alagrve coast. For example, Estoril and Cascais are really well placed for including a visit to Lisbon whilst there but even with the improved roads since I first went, they are probably at least a 3 hour drive in each direction from Burgau if a trip down memory lane ia a priority for your fiance.

SM
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.