EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
La Marina
30 Posts
I live a few kilometers from this dump (thankfully).

I am sure that some people may disagree, but in my opinion La Marina is a dog's toilet.

An enormous urbanization filled with Brits. An aborted golf course project has given way to a further 4,700 houses to be built. A nonexistent infrastructure with poor bars and even worse restaurants.

Avoid.
Thanks Oly, Ive just been reading some very bad reports about the area, I will actually be staying in Rojales so might look at properties in this area as it seems to be a bit better. What are your opinions on Rojales?
Hola Ken!

Each to their own.

For many people the ideal 'Spanish' environment is an urbanization where everyone speaks English. Dozens of Irish bars with karaoke nights, buying the Sun every morning on their way to a full English breakfast, curry on a Friday night and a roast dinner on a Sunday.

The problems arise when it comes to selling their homes. After all, why would anyone want to buy a 'second hand' property when there are new ones being built just up the road?

There is no scope for improving a new property, and urbanization rules would probably prohibit you from doing so anyway.

You have probably found out, through your research, that there are many people that are unhappy with their urbanization purchases because they cannot sell their properties in a reasonable timescale, at a price that they want.

Rojales is, in essence, a small old town. However, due to development it has become somewhat disjointed. It is hard to describe where Rojales begins or ends. The new parts, which extend almost to neighboring Quesada are no better (or worse) than any other urbanizations. My own opinion is that they serve no purpose.

You would need a car to live in Rojales (or La Marina), these places are a 5 or 10 minute drive to the beach, supermarkets and other entertainment, and that being the case, why not buy further inland, have a 20 or 30 minute drive, and get better value for money?, alternatively, pay more money and get a place a few minutes' walk.

A quick note to David the moderator.......you seem to have merged this topic incorrectly. La Marina shopping center near Benidorm and La Marina urbanization south of Alicante. Understandable......it is a common name!
A quick note to David the moderator.......you seem to have merged this topic incorrectly. La Marina shopping center near Benidorm and La Marina urbanization south of Alicante. Understandable......it is a common name!

Thanks Oly Daze, it seems to be a more a case of some members trying to be helpful, but replying with info about the shopping centre rather than the urbanisation. I have now separated this discussion regarding the urbanisation, and will transfer it our ExPats & Owners Abroad forum in the hope of attracting further interest and feedback.

David :wave
I agree with Oly Daze i wouldn't live in La Marina too much bad press in the local papers here, I live in Torrevieja but as Oly Daze says each to his own!
Check out http://www.spanish-property.co.uk they are based in torrvieja and run by a Spanish guy and a Scottish guy i bought through them last year and they were great.
"For many people the ideal 'Spanish' environment is an urbanization where everyone speaks English. Dozens of Irish bars with karaoke nights, buying the Sun every morning on their way to a full English breakfast, curry on a Friday night and a roast dinner on a Sunday".

Ha Ha, I know what you mean Oly Daze, why dont these people just stay at home and visit the sauna or sun bed centre.

At my time of life (62) all I want to do is chill out, not too many hills, nice little local bar, big supermarket and a few shops to keep the gaffer happy, no chippies, and nice freindly neighbours.
Not a lot to ask is it? lol. But do these places ever exist?

A friend of mine has bought in Lo Crispin so I will be meeting up with him next week to have a look around that area as well. Will let you all know how we get on. thanks for everyones input
I know this is going to sound very negative, but the urbanizations you name are all a few kilometers apart.

There is nothing at all at Lo Crispin, it is brand new....no shops, bars...nothing. On the plus side it is a little easier to find now they have replaced the cardboard sign with a proper one (really!).

If you are up that way drive 5 minutes into Almoradi......it's worth it.
Try Algorfa fab village with a few shops,bars,and eateries,we loved the place when we stayed there.
I've been reading the posts with interest, but there is something that escapes me:

WHY are you moving out to Spain and what do you want from your move?

Staying in a town is another matter from living there. Living implies having all the shops, services, schools, churches, social groups and leisure activities you need to make your life happy.

Think carefully about your reasons for moving abroad before you part with a penny ... not to mention any problems you may encounter with health provision, tax and local charges as a result of your 'move'.

It's all too easy to be seduced by photos, brochures and fantasies. Please make sure that you make the right decision and that includes looking at all the negative things in life like missing your family, grandchildren, future ill health and ultimately death.
Just to put your mind at rest"¦"¦"¦

As far as future ill health is concerned, all the larger villages here have a Ju-Ju woman who is capable of administering various potions. For a larger fee they can induce themselves into a trance like state in order to foresee any potential threats.

Also, small children are welcome in Spain, especially at orange harvest time or in early spring when we all have our chimneys cleaned.
Also theres el pinet urb my brother has just bought one there,5mins walk to beach 10mins walk to village,there is a doctors a supermarket variouse other shops and a school,a church and a lot of social activities.This is also in la marina but not situated near the enormouse one.
I think such a sarcastic tone is uncalled for Oly Daze. Alsacienne has experience herself of what it like to be an ex-pat and I for one think she was making some very reasonable and thoughtful points. Staying somewhere on holiday IS very different from living there permanently - I live in Scotland and some people struggle making the adjustments just moving up from elsewhere in the UK let alone moving the distance involved, both literally and culturally, from the UK to Spain.

Her point about thinking about why someone wants to move and what they need to make them happy is very basic but one that some people only too readily forget. I'm reminded of one idyllic holiday up in the northwest Highland with a friend who loved it and remarked that she could easily get used to this sort of life. I pointed out to her that I didn't think she could - she goes to the cinema at least twice a week with various family members, it's a big part of her social life. Easily done when you live in outer London a couple of miles from 2 different multiplexes - a quite different matter when the nearest one is in Inverness, a near 2hr drive in each direction from the delightful cottage we were sitting in the garden of at the time! That was also where the nearest general hospital was too - did someone increasingly suffering from arthritis want to be doing that drive every time she had an outpatients appointment? She currently lives 5 minutes from Waitrose - could she adjust to her nearest supermarket being little bigger than a convenience store in Ullapool - and even that an hour's drive away?

On reflection she decided that the northwest Highlands are brilliant for holidays but, no, she wouldn't be able to live the life she deep down wanted to be able to continue to live if she ever moved up there. She has since recognised that much as she loves coming to visit me, and despite the fact that she could buy a castle for the price of her house, she couldn't even easily adjust to living the sort of life I do let alone to the lifestyle that would go with a move to an even more rural place than mine.

This is not say that some people couldn't but it does need careful thinking about and that was all Alsacienne was trying to point out. For myself I drop into this forum from time to time because in few years time I would like to be able to buy a winter bolthole somewhere warmer than here to escape to and thereby escape the worst of the Scottish winter. But having already thought about all the things she points out, I know that that's all I want - I love living in Scotland in the summer and would want to return here every summer to family and friends and those endless long days in June and July and that a permaenet move to southern Europe just wouldn't be for me.

SM
Ken comes across as a sensible sort of chap.

I can't imagine why anyone would underestimate his intelligence by assuming that he has not considered the consequences of moving to Spain.
I don't think anyone is underestimating Kenbo's intelligence. We have all read reports about people going to live in Spain and after a couple of years wanting to return so I think Alsa made some valid points about living abroad. No matter how much research you do actually living in a foreign country can be a lot different to how you imagine it will be.
I agree with SMa your sarcastic juvenile post was uncalled for.
Oh C'mon peeps.
Oly was being flippant, rather than sarcastic.
He contributes in the Costa Blanca Forum and he is very knowledgeable about the area...well he would be, actually living there.

People often think retiring in Spain means that they are going to a third world country and the remark Oly made was "dry wit" in reference to future health care, in that specific part of Spain.

Research will tell you that Torrevieja has a brand new hospital that is reported to be one of the best in all of Spain.

Oly: Maybe you should have used one of these :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sanjiiiiiiiii :wink:
At my time of life (62) all I want to do is chill out, not too many hills, nice little local bar, big supermarket and a few shops to keep the gaffer happy, no chippies, and nice freindly neighbours.
Not a lot to ask is it? lol.

Ken asked about specific areas of the Costa Blanca, which as Sanji emphasises, I do know well. I wouldn't bother offering advice if I didn't; and I do have to wonder why there are people that answer posts relating to areas that they have absolutely no knowledge of.

He made no mention of schools, churches, social groups, leisure activities, health provision, tax, local charges, family, grandchildren, future ill health, death, cinemas or out patients appointments. Had he have done so, I would haved helped and advised him further.

The obvious fact that Ken posted on this forum should give the clue that he is not 'seduced by photos, brochures and fantasies'.....From a personal point of view, if I were offered this type of advice I would feel that my intelligence was being questioned.

And SMa.....I would have thought that by living in Scotland, and watching your national team play football, you may have developed a better sense of humour.
My post was made in good faith - I wasn't underestimating Kenbo's intelligence or motives, but trying to remind any other casual readers who have dreamed of a 'place in the sun' at some time in the future, that there is a lot more to consider than swimming pools, distance to the beach and an enjoyable tipple.

No offence was meant to any member, and thank you to those who came to my defence.
Oly :lol: Thanks for making me smile :lol:
and watching your national team play football

Glad we can agree on something - England really are a joke aren't they? :-) Perhaps we should just stick to Rugby! Even my Scottish friends and neighbours agreed that the boys did well :-)

SM
(an ex-pat of over 18 years standing - but only if I stay off the single malt :-) )
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.