Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Mezze basically means Morsel or taster it is usually set for 4 or more people but some restraint's do a 2 person,, it will usually consist of
bread with olive oil (ask if you want butter)
then one or more of the following
Taziki (Greek yogurt with cucumber and garlic) , Humus ( a form of chick pea pate') or taramasalata ( fish row made in to a paste with white bread crumb and fresh tomato puree)
then the rest could be any thing depending on your location, it may be all fish dishes or all meat dishes oe a mixture and sometimes a couple of vegetarian courses as well (my fav' are chick pea fritters)

wizard

(OT going to crawly to a Greek taverner on Saturday night looking forward to it)
A good meze is an experience in itself as well as being a meal.
The contents can vary according to the taverna
It's a selection of various dishes including starters like Taramasalata, tzatziki, stuffed vine leaves, etc, along with different grilled fish and meat dishes, salad, cheese, bread, etc, etc.
Some restaurants give you the option of a fish or meat meze but you're better off going for a mixed one which includes everything
You order per table and beware - if they move you to a bigger table the dishes keep coming.....and coming.
I've ended up waving a white napkin at the waiter before, telling him I'm surrendering!
Eat slowly and enjoy.

Yamas
Hi piglet :D

As has been said mezze is a mix of small portions of different dishes :D

It really is a delight to try and most places will make it for two or more people :D

..............but I've never found any place to make it for only one :(

My favourite is the mixed one :wink:

Helenxx
As Helen said mezes for one are few and far between.
I haven't come across a menu that doesn't state min 2 persons or something like.

Mark
OOh Im going to try one of these when we go next week........ :D

My daughter and I are Vegetarian, but we have seen them before In Cyprus....... hubby and son will have the Meat one Im sure......
they really do look delicious! :mrgreen:
It takes two words to describe a meze - Simpley Delicious :lol: - anbron
Best place for a meze in Protaras please?

Been going to Limassol for 20 years and never tried one yet :oops: one as Hubby likes fish (which I can't stand!)

Now there will be enough of us to share one for the first time.

Cheers,
Janet
I would prefer to go into Paralimi the quality and prices should be better find a couple of local cypriots and ask where do they take their friends and family thats usua;y the best recomendation you can get

wizard
hi can anyone recommend any good places to go for a meze in the argaka or polis areas
Thank you all for your replies. Very informative. I think that we will be giving it a go for sure!

Can anyone recommend a good restaurant for Meze in the Pahos Harbour area?

Cheers!
http://www.cypriot.ru/culture/cuisine/images/14-meze.jpg

Do not miss trying one...advice look away from tourist area if possible, local village tavernas are best bet!! look to pay around £7 a head plus your drinks.

Stay away from the harour area of Pafos for a meze, you will not get a real one..and you will pay for it.
Thanks Jim!

I fully take on board the bit about trying to eat away from the tourist area. Wherever we go abroad on holiday, its basically the same from restarant to restaurant (unless you have a bigger budget of course!)

That picture looks very grand. Please let that be for at least four people and not just one!

Not long now.

Cheers!
Can anyone explain the term Meze, when being discussed regarding meals.
I am off to Protaras in October, first time in Cyprus.

I heard of a nice place called ''River Boat'' there that does nice'meze'.

I get the rough idea, food served/wine/bread etc, but can anyone explain to a thick scotsman how it is ordered and how it works (small courses etc). Don't want to make a backside of myself if we decide to go for it!!

Many thanks :wink: :oops:
Uusually at least two persons have to order meze. You will then get lots of little dishes brought to you, and thats your meal. Restaurant meze will vary in quality and quantity so I can't say what you will get at the one that has been recommended to you. Do they have a website? Also some do meat, vegetarian and fish choices.

If you go for it make sure you are hungry. When we ate as a family of four we only ordered three meze, and that was too much! If you want meze thats all you ask for unless you have a choice of vegetarian, meat or fish. Drinks are extra.

Often a fruit dish will be included at the end so you know you are finished. that might not be the case in a touristy restaurant though. I have only eaten meze in the hills.

Take, for example, one of my favourite meze at Kathikas. Follow my link and work down and click on meze. Then work to the bottom for the Meze menu. Its a lovely way to spend a leisurely lunchtime with a carafe of village wine.

http://www.gmbds.com/imogensa.htm
Thanks for that link, Keswick.

4 weeks to go & staying in Pegeia..... looks like that one just has to be sampled ;-)
Ron
If you are staying in Peyia, I understand that the Peyia Tavern is highly recommended...so much so, you will need to book or wait. I haven't eaten there but only because we stayed at Armou. I love Kathikas (as you can tell) the owners Helen and George and family are lovely. Its really close to Peyia.

If you are up at Polemi visit the new SODAP factory. Irlene who does the wine sampling is really lovely! (She will remember my Mum....she left after tasting too much and walked into the bollard!). The grapes should be arriving in late August/September...it will be fun to see.

One place you mustn't miss if you have a 4 x 4 is 'The Last Castle' on the Arkamas. High spot that serves a standard lunch, potato wedges, spit roast chicken and pork, and salad, (which tastes anything other than standard). Set under vine leaves and on stone tables overlooking the sea. It gets busy in the busy season but it is beautiful, the essence of cyprus.
  • Edited by Keswick 2006-07-28 17:30:34
we alredy have a long thread on this topic HERE

wizard
we alredy have a long thread on this topic

I assume you mean : Thank you for your information and helping out a new member. There is also a long thread on this topic HERE.
Yes, thank you for your assistance Keswick, it is appreciated.

I have merged this topic with the other topic already open on this subject.

luci :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.