Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
We have just been looking at this ourselves:

GRAN BAHÍA PRÍNCIPE CAYO LEVANTADO

The hotel is situated on it's own private island -- looks very nice and exclusive.

Here is their website
  • Edited by Daza 2007-07-11 22:11:23
Have a look at the hotel reviews HERE, resort reports HERE and weather thread HERE :wink:

Pippy :D
Hi, I have been to the Dom Rep 7 times and love it as a very reasonably priced caribbean all inclusive destination. As your first question is about hurricanes I have to be honest and say that it is not the best time of year to go as the majority of hurricanes hit in late september/ early october. For this reason if you have to travel at that time of year I would strongly suggest you pick the north coast as apposed to the South or East coasts as they haven't had a direct hurricane hit in over 20 years where as the other coasts have close encounters every year. Of course you could be luckly and go to the East and have perfect weather - of you could spend a week holed up in a shelter and then flown home early. It's all about what risks you feel comfortable taking. Remember insurance doesn't cover holidays lost through hurricanes as they are classes as an act of god.

I'd have a look at the Iberostar Costa Dorada or the Gran ventana in the north both of which are right on the beach and offer great value for money - the gran ventana more so as it is bigger than the ICD has has a breat choice of bars and restaurants which are all included in the all inclusive package.
Lashman,

went to dom rep 3 yrs. ago stayed at the riu merenguie in bahia maihon in the north of the island.

well worth a look, fantastic resort of 3 5* wonderful hotels.
on the beach , good choice of restaurants, all inclusive , and some 4 pools to choose from.

i would highly recommend this place to you.

good searching.

Eifion. :glynis
South or East Coast is the best as this sits in the Caribbean Sea which has low undercurrent in comparrison to the north which is in the Atlantic Ocean and the undercurrent is very strong.

We normally stay at the Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus, but any Iberostar is good out there...another good hotel is the Casa Del Mar. This year we have booked a new hotel Rui Palace Punta Cana its exclusive to Thomson and is an premium ala carte hotel...

Whatever hotel you chose the Domincans are really friendly. IMHO book 4* or above as we went 3* on our first visit and there was a huge difference. the IHD is 5* and the CDM is 4*+. the RPPC is 5* too...in fact there are not many 3* on the south coast.

Juan Dolio is not very nice so I wouldnt bother looking there...

Its worth noting that TC fly to Punta Cana on inbound then onto Peurto Plata and on return they do the same there are. They also contract out these flights to Excel Airways. Thomson fly direct as do First Choice but some flights from FC only go from Gatwick or Manchester so check the brochure first.
Hi Lashman
We went to the Gran Ventana in January 07, recommend it, food great and beach location.

Good luck
Kazee
Would recommend this hotel to anyone. Myself, husband and family members went in May. situated right on the beach. The beach here is ten times better than the north Playa Dorada , you must venture to the beach stalls and barter. We will go back here someday again. Think we had to go to the disco for a drink after 11 though, but that was our ONLY snag.
a trip to Saona Island on a catamaran is a must its breathtaking!!!
Been to the DR several times and we're heading back there in 9 days 8) I would recommend the east or south coast for the caribbean seas as they are calmer than the north. We usually stay at the Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus in Bayahibe but this year we have opted for a shorter transfer and we are staying at the Rui Palace Punta Cana. Will put a full review up when we get back. :D
we have been twice... once to "sunscape the beach" bavaro side and then to dominicus beach (south side)

sunscape was the best for us....

hurricanes.. i think dom rep is one of the least hit places??
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.