Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
We stayed there about 4 years ago our first time in goa, the rooms are basic, but cleaned every day, and had a wonderful dark brown and cream paint scheme ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !.

Breakfast was a tea and toast affair and you pay for anything else like most other B&Bs, Andy is house manager? and can organise most things for you although a lad called Nilesh will do the same , the chef Bruno is very good and loves to share a honey bee with the customers especially if they are paying, he will organise fishing trips and go with you on his day off.

The tip box is on the bar and communal although i preferred to tip privatly if i got the chance as i saw hands dipping in to it.

There is a small dipping pool at the back there is nothing exciting about the views from the room although one side does look into the kingfisher villa

Its not the Ritz but we would stay again

GM06
Ian
:wave: my hubby and i are booked into the don hill in feb 09
The Don Hill is the worsed place I have ever stayed in anywere, if you have been to Goa before, take extra money with as yo may want to change were you are staying, we lasted 6 days out of a month, awful place, and check all your bills or they will overcharge you. Danny
Wow that was some review - you don't sit on the fence do you Lynndan? :yikes
Max
When you save all the year for your holiday, you do not want it spoilt by staying in some crap so called hotel and if by telling it as it is saves just one poor sole going through what we went through, then my email as blunt as it is will not be in vane. Danny
What you expect from a hotel is all down to personal opinion, like i said in my previous post the Don Hill is not the Ritz.

The following comments are my opinions only and an attempt to provide a balance, they are not meant as a "pop" at any previous posts on this thread

It was our first trip to Goa and it would not put us off returning to the Don Hill (although we now stay in a guest house)

It provided us with a base and a bed for two weeks at a very reasonable price
(It as at the budget end of the hotel market, pay more get better)

It was cleaned to a reasonable (Indian) standard

We only used the hotel for breakfast and as a bar as there are hundreds of places to eat if you dont like whats on offer in the hotel

I never felt that i was being overcharged

If you know what its like in India why would you expect English 5 star standards

Two weeks there was ok, i dont know about stopping a month

and finally

Your in GOA why do you want to be in your hotel

GM06
Ian
Thanks for the replies everyone, my friends have booked this hotel and will be going out on the 15th November. I knew it was basic, I just wanted to know your views as I am certain my friends partner will not be amused if it isn't up to her required standards. If she doesn't like it.... :yikes I think I shall have to avoid her for a few days until she has calmed down (or moved somewhere else). Thank goodness they didn't book it on any recommendation from me. Anyhow, we shall have to wait and see what happens........it's likely to be an interesting week :D
:wave: fizzy what did your friends think of the don hill as we go in two weeks lizzley
From what little they said I think they just accepted the basic standard of the place. They had been to Goa before and had got a cheap deal so I don't think their expectations were too high although I did think my friends partner might not be too happy. They did like its proximity to the beach. To be honest I didn't ask too many questions :duh I visited them at the hotel on our last day in Goa but only went into reception and asked the staff to call their room for me, they were polite and helpful. The restaurant area is at the front of the hotel (I am assuming this is the only restaurant area they have) and you walk through it to the reception. I did notice that the safety deposit boxes were to the left of the reception area and on view rather than in a separate room. The waiting staff were polite and friendly and I got chatting with some of the guests who were also friendly - it makes a big difference to the atmosphere of a place. I think on the whole they were reasonably happy with what they got and were also fairly comfortable but the Ritz it aint :) The areas I saw looked clean but I didn't see a room so can only assume they were okay as my friends would have mentioned this. There was no signage at the front of the hotel which made it difficult to find (I had no idea where the place was)and I was also told that the place has new owners. Don't know if this reply helps but don't worry about it until you get there, you can decide what to do then if you are not happy. Fizz
:cheers thanks for that it sounds ok just for a base :tup
I think that's exactly how they thought about it too, as long as it is clean it's only somewhere to sleep and freshen up. Hope that you have a good time......Not long now. :tup Fizz
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.