France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
If you read the lower posts on that link they are very un PC (but funny)!
Hi, I was sent this short animation from Total, which shows you how to identify the new pumps: http://carburants.total.fr/sp95-e10/e10-en-pratique.html
For those of nervous disposition, there are more civilised versions of the story HERE and HERE

Peter
Well it's certainly news to me that 95 octane lead-free is due to be discontinued, and I live here .... Peter, could you send me a news link to give me more info, or is this a good hoax?
Thanks Peter! It hasn't reached my area yet, but I'm now up to date. Again,thanks.

Popped into the garage this morning to pick up my car. The dealership - Citroen - hasn't heard of this on a factual basis, but knew that there had been some idea of it .......... and this lot are usually up to date. The garage dealer thinks that it's only an ecological marketing ploy at present, and is being considered by Total, but everyone else doesn't seem to be planning to introduce it. No danger to any cars built after 2000, but I suppose if you drive a veteran or vintage car, you would not be likely to be using such a low octane fuel - corrections accepted!!

I wouldn't worry about it overly if you are driving over here on holiday! Just have a heart attack when you see the prices - 1.35 a litre on the motorway near Mulhouse!!! Try to use supermarket filling stations for better prices, or even better, fuel up in Luxembourg or Switzerland if you are in Eastern France!!
I think there could be a big problem for the unaware, see -

http://www.motoring.co.uk/news/Fuel-for--new-cars--only-in-French-petrol-stations_13147

Look at the list of compatible vehicles -

http://services.autoplus.fr/vehicules-e10.html

Citroen and Peugeot don't have much of a problem, but Renault do.

So do I, and many others. The Ford Mondeo is a very popular car in the UK, and my November 2006 model is not compatible -

Translation - FORD - All models put into circulation from 1 January 2000 with the exception of the following model: engine equipped MONDEO 1.8 l DOHC 96 kilowatts CFBA DISI (direct injection) put into circulation from 1 January 2004 and 31 December 2006.

From now on, anyone intending to drive in France should check out their car for compatibility, and if they are not, take care what they fill up with.

While they still have a choice!

Peter
If it doesn't come down to a matter of a few Euros per full tank, might the solution be to choose 98 octane fuel if this does not harm the engine?

And, having a look at the list, especially as I drive a Renault Clio, wouldn't these top-range Renault models listed normally take a 98 octane fuel?

Perhaps this list should be printed out and published as a sticky?
If it doesn't come down to a matter of a few Euros per full tank, might the solution be to choose 98 octane fuel if this does not harm the engine?

Possibly, but first of all people have to be made aware of how 95-10E can damage certain engines.

Hopefully ordinary 95, (or 95 with only 5% ethanol), will be available until 2013 at least. See -

http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=MEMO/08/800

Peter
'If you read the lower posts on that link they are very un PC (but funny)!'

This is because the site is run and used in the main by ex Forces and our sense of humour is non PC and long may it remain so. ;) There is a time and place for PC.....
you might not like to read our stuff on Once a Marine :rofl

right re the topic.......... I know this is about Petrol but is diesel involved in this Bio lark?

regards
I know this is about Petrol but is diesel involved in this Bio lark?

Err.................can I phone a friend?

Haven't a clue, all I know is that there are warnings about 95-E10 petrol with regards to the compatibility of certain car models.

Peter
I don't think so - all diesel (gasoil) comes out of the single black hosed pump at all filling stations and there is no choice of what's in it or not!
I can't say I noticed any pumps for 95-E10 during my three weeks in France (mainly Normandy) in June, but I'll keep my eyes open when we return to Guines in September.

Normally I get fuel from supermarkets because it's cheaper, as it is in the UK.

Peter
Last time I took my car to Europe (2007) we didn't come across and bio diesel (labelled as such) in France although we did see some pumps in Spain labelled as Biogasole next to the 'normal' gasole pumps.

Regarding biodiesel some manufacturers state that some of this stuff has not yet been tested fully by them and if you use it in your car and there is a problem it could void your warranty. I believe there has been a problem regarding some of the Diesel sold by Morrisons which has a percentage of biofuel in it.

http://motortorque.askaprice.com/news/auto-0903/morrisons-b30-biodiesel-39could-invalidate-warranty39.asp
They have been putting in 5% biofuel in diesel for years in France. It has had no ill effect on my car. I think all British diesel has 5% in now.
The idea to use biofuel was when oil was so expensive and farmers were getting very little for their oil seed rape and wheat.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.