Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
How long
10 Posts
Hi Alsacienne ... I believe it's 90 days, you may find more info and discussion in THIS recent thread.

David :wave
Hi everyone,

If you read the thread David posted you'll read of my recent hassles. According to the air transport users council, if its not showed up after 21 days it gets treated as lost not delayed. My case appeared on the 22nd day, I'v sent copies of reciepts into fly globespan for my essential purchases and ofcourse I'm still waiting on a reply. :roll:

I'm giving them till 7th Sept then I'll really start hassling them. The air transport user council have a good help line, and if Globespan still refuse to cough up they'll deal with them on my behalf.

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=306&pagetype=90&pageid=3316#morethan21days

karen
Hi Karen ... I appreciate that you are referring to a claim for compensation for expenses incurred during the period of temporary loss, but perhaps you may know the answer to this following your recent experiences. After 21 days, delayed baggage is reclassified as lost baggage. But isn't it 90 days before it is considered permanently lost, and any claim may be settled for total loss ?

Hi david, the 90 day thing seems familiar to me, but cant find any ref to it. BBc website's saying its officially declared lost after 21 days :shrug

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/breakfast/4793209.stm?ls

karen
From their website:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/askbainter/public/en_gb?p_search_text=baggage

(click on question number 7)

In all cases, a bag is not considered lost until a minimum of 3 weeks has elapsed.

Mark :D
I still have a feeling that there is a difference between the point where delayed or missing baggage is declared lost and you can make a claim (21 days), and the point where that lost baggage is declared permanently lost and the claim may be settled (90 days ??).

Some will settle claims in less than 90 days, but on the understanding that any settlement should be returned in exchange for the baggage, if it is traced and safely reunited with its owner at some later point during the 90 day period.

Thanks everyone - especially David - for your help. I'm still waiting .....
As per the Montreal Convention:

If the carrier admits the loss of the checked baggage, or if the checked baggage has not arrived at the expiration of twenty-one days after the date on which it ought to have arrived, the passenger is entitled to enforce against the carrier the rights which flow from the contract of carriage.

Crown Copyright acknowledged.

So it appears that you may claim after 21 days.

I'm not a lawyer but the above statement appears pretty clear to me.

Mark :D
Thanks Mark

I'll be quoting that in my next e-mail to Globespan. :wink:

karen
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.