Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
As August is in the middle of the hurricane season, that would be my concern, but I believe the ships change their itineraries to avoid any hurricanes that may occur.

luci :wave
Thespian,
cruised the Western Caribbean several times and always in July. August is likely to be a little hotter but probably no worse with regard to hurricanes.

The ships have access to advance warning of hurricanes and tropical storms and WILL avoid them when possible. Worst I could imagine happening is one or two port visits are cancelled but they would likely divert to another port instead.

Large ships operating in the Caribbean WILL have stabilisers, and more importantly, WILL use them.

I was once sailing on the Thomson Emerald in the Med. in October (some years back) when a severe storm hit us in the Gulf of Lyons. Half the crew were incapacitated and I suspect the ship did not extend its stabilisers. To do so uses considerably more fuel due to the drag but does help with the rolling.

PS, if you call in at Jamaica DO walk up Dunns River Falls. It's great.
Try horseriding in the Mexican jungle if that's offered. One and only time I was on a horse - and loved it.

Wife and I are off to that area next week with Celebrity (Constellation).
Hi Mike

Thanks for your advice - it is a shame Thomson - they do seem to cut corners; we have decided not to cruise with them again unless it's a cheapo deal as customer satisfaction seems a long way down their priorities.

I have always wanted to walk up Dunns River Falls, not too sure about horse riding - I just know I'd fall off!

Hope you and your wife have a great holiday.
I have cruised the Western CAribbean several times,always at the end of July into August. It is HOT. The cruiseline will take you well out of the way of Hurricanes/tropical storms. The only problem is when storms make landfall in Florida and disrupt embarkation etc. Of course when you're in the Caribbean in August it's not unusual to have brief thunderstorms at the end of a hot humid day. They don't last long and cool things off nicely.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.