Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
Hi

Arenal d'en Castell sounds like your thing. We go there because it is small and quiet and you have walking distance to the beach pretty much from wherever you stay. The beach is fantastic! However, Menorca isn't that cheap in general. We go half board to fairly big hotel but there are others around that do self catering.
Thanks Blanck, will have a look at that resort. Is the beach nice and safe for kids?
Have you had a look at Cala Galdana? Beach is gorgeous and the sea stays shallow to a good distance with no sudden increases in depth. We visited there for the day earlier this year when we were staying in Cala'n Bosch and thought it was lovely. We have booked to stay at Galdana Gardens apartments next year with Direct Holidays, there's no kids club, but they have a pool and are really well situated for the beach. Take a look on http://www.directholidays.co.uk As the previous poster said Menorca isn't particularly cheap and I have heard that Cala Galdana is one of the more expensive resorts. If you hire a car though you can drive out to the bigger supermarkets in town and save a fortune on resort prices. Hope this helps.
The beach is fantastic and very safe for kids. It is a horse shoe shaped bay. Ours were 1, 4 and 6 the first time we went and we loved it. One reason being that the beach is safe and not as crowded as eg Cala Galdana. Cala Galdana is lovely but more busy than Arenal. Compared to some other places Menorca is not busy wherever you go, though. Last year our 9 year old could swim with her dad out in the bay as the water is really calm. As with all of Menorca you have to look out for the jelly fish though. We were lucky last year and only saw them three days.
Just thought of another suggestion if you want somewhere quiet and that's Santo Tomas. Looked lovely when we visited for the day and the beach was not as crowded as Cala Galdana. Son Bou was lovely too, a vast expanse of sand and lovely clear sea. I think it depends on what you mean when you say quiet. We stayed in Cala'n Bosch this year, where there's plenty of choice for restaurants and a nice beach, but still not rowdy like some places. We visited Cala'n Forcat a couple of evenings as we had relatives who were staying there and I wasn't too keen...much preferred Cala'n Bosch. We also visited Arenal which was nice too, must have picked a bad day though because the sea was really rough, although my son thought it was great fun riding the waves. As Blanck mentioned watch out for the warning flags as jellyfish can be a problem, although after worrying about them prior to my holiday in August, we didn't see one at all in a fortnight.

To sum up, there's so many nice, quiet resorts in Menorca I don't think you can go far wrong. I think you need to consider the time of year you're going as that will obviously affect how quiet the resort will be, and whether you want a good choice of restaurants or will you be happy with just a few to choose from.
Thanks...we stayed in Cala'n Forcat about 10 yrs ago on a last minute bargain break, and it was pretty busy even in October, so can imagine how busy it would be in the summer holidays!

Those resorts all sound lovely...so i'll get googling.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.