Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
There are no irons available in the rooms, but you can probably borrow one from reception. I find it easier to bring my own travel iron.

There are always lots of families at the hotel, so I'm sure there will be other teenagers for you to meet with.
Hi There, My partner and I are going to the merengue in october. I have been to the dom rep before and enjoyed it. the problem now is we having been going to mexico bahia principe for the past few years and it is amazing. I know this is cheaper but will I still enjoy this hotel or will I wished I had payed extra and went back to mexico. Please advise.

karen :)
Hi Karen,
Have never stayed at th Bahia Principe but did stay in the Riu Tequila (mexico) last August. We really had a great holiday but 4 of us prefered the Meringue in the Dom rep where we'd stayed previously. I'm sure you'll enjoy it there. You'll have the pick of 3 hotels to visit which have a really convenient layout .They are all situated on the beach, with the Merengue being in the middle of the other 2. Have a good time :sun2
WE were there 5 years ago

I hope things have changed

The gym was worn out then
Security was hopeless -- MY birthday presents were stolen from the room OK a mug and T shirt but it's the action

Food -- Standard Riu menu's You had the choice of any of the three hotels in the complex to eat in at any night
but the Beach BBQ was really good

The Party night was Hilarious and the dancing great some of the male dancers looked better than the females which was worrying

It was the cheapest place for hand rolled Dominican Republic cigars (look for the 25's rolled in newspaper amazing flavour)

Got some pictures will upload to photobucket in a sec to
http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/Madcaravanner/Dom%20Rep/

I personally didn't totally enjoy myself as the complex is miles form anywhere and walking outside is not really safe and I enjoy walking around with my camera
Well thankfully we didn't have the same experiences that madcaravanner did when we visited a year or two after him. We truly had our best holiday ever. Everyone was so friendly and we found the food variety excellent. We also found the place to be very safe. I'll admit it is somewhat in the middle of nowhere but it depends what you want out of the holiday. In my opinion a lot of A/I complexes are situated outside the main towns. There was enough in the complex to keep us occupied for a fortnight as (already been stated) you could share your time between 3 hotels. If you want to venture out there are some great organized days out. We also had a taxi complete with guide for the day. This was great as he took us where we wanted to go and it didn't cost the earth. Once again, I'm sure you'll have a great hol!!
Glad the foods improved
it's just the other things put me off going back

Mexico no problem
Sharm no problem

in fact looking at a winter sun for next year and Sharm is the winner at present
My personal preference is Dom Rep over Mexico. I will quite probably return to the same resort again sometime in the future.
We stayed in the Rui Bachata in 2005, Merengue in 2006 and Riu Tequila (Mexico) 2007. We are a large family group.....after discussion about this years holiday it was decided to go back to the Dom Rep. This time Punta Cana side.
Mexico was fantastic, but we felt that on genuine friendliness and service and enthusiasm, that the Dominican People give just that little bit extra.
It is more backwards than Mexico, but I feel this is part of the charm. The Mexicans have been dealing with tourism for lots more years than the Dominicans, therefore they probably "get it right" more often. But it's the DR for me again this year......and the other 44 in my family.
I hope you have a great time. Don't raise your expectations (of luxury) too high, go with the flow and really chill out.
Lorraine
Hi just wondered if anyone has stayed at this hotel. Read quite a few reviews and seems ok, just be nice to hear from someone who has visited recently and what they thought.

Thanks

Sue
Merged with existing thread ;)

Pippy :)
:cheers
hi, just wondering :que anyone been to the hotel riu merengue i am booked to go there on aug 17th for three weeks me hubby and 3 kids (18, 15, 12). any tips greatly appreciated
cheers
sunworshipper :sun2
If anyone recently returned would like to update our reviews please do so HERE :tup
Hi

We stayed at the Merengue for 2 weeks in March and absolutely loved it. Rooms are nice, we were lucky enough to have a beach view as well. Staff are great nothing is too much trouble for them and the animation team work so hard to entertain you. The beach is lovely but can be a bit rocky getting into the sea. I am sure you will like it, we are definiately looking into going back again next year.

Sue

Oh and Pippy I will get round to doing a review as well.
SUSANSH wrote:
Oh and Pippy I will get round to doing a review as well.
Thank you! :tup
Have just booked for 2 weeks at the above hotel, was wondering what is the dress code in the D/R, for the evening really........high heels and dressy or just casual sarongs and normal beachy/summer wear?? Went to Goa last year and wore 1 pair of heels for new years and that was it!!!!! Also what are the prices for taxis and eating out like over there??

Any help would be great
It's as dressy or as casual as you like. Obviously no swimwear in the restaurants in the evening though. I believe there is a dress code for the 'a la cartes' but they aren't that strict. Most people wear linens, jeans, crops, dresses etc.
visiting this hotel shortly and had a couple funny questions if anyone could help would be much apprecaited- firstly in the all inclusive optics in the room which spirits are provided?? are u able to get vodka on all inclusive?? and also are there crisps available??? as i am an addict! thanks for n e help
x
x
themoffats,

In the dispensers you have whiskey, gin, vodka and of course you have the rum.

But I am sure if you prefer to have a different selection, a couple of $$ or the equivalent in pesos to the refreshment guy, and he will try and get you anything he has available (in the dispensers)...

Angie.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.