Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Hi Shirley h, went to Santorini last year in October, it's definitely a couples place! Kamari was still trading although we went in the last week of the season, things were closing. Kamari is laid back and not a Kavos or Faliraki at all! There are some nice music places on the Beach road and plenty of restaurants.Fira, the capital is not far away at all for a change of scenery, it is a stunning place that's for sure!
We visited Santorini in May this year and we had a great time. Have a look at http://delboy85.tripod.com/santorini
Thanks for your replies,

Where did you stay Tinka? Were all the beaches of dark volcanic sand? Also what were the prices for drinks and eating out like? Would you say they were on par with the other Greek islands or more expensive?
Prices for eating out in Perissa where cheaper than our three previous Greek visits and I would think prices in Kamari would be similar. Regarding the beaches, they are black but not all sand. Some areas were tiny black pebbles which I prefer to sand. :D
Hi Passiontravel,

Can you recommend any B&B or S/C establishments either in Kamari or Perissa. Is all the accomodation on a hill or are there some close to the beach and resorts?

Thanks
Shirley,

We travelled with Kosmar and stayed at Villa Limnes apartments at Perissa. The studio was not the best we have ever had. It was a bit small, not well equipped and had a double bed instead of the usual twins. On the other hand we could not fault the cleaning and regular linen change. The village of Perissa is spread over a wide area but is generally flat. Kosmar show Villa Limnes as being 15minutes from the centre, which is probably correct, but deceiving. Perissa has a very large supermarket by Greek standards and this is next to the Post Office and a 24-hour bakery. These along with several of the best tavernas are within 5 minutes of Villa Limnes. The sea is less than 5 minutes away.
Thanks Passiontravel,

just found that property on the brochure. Have heard though that Kosmar are notorious for changing the flight times/departure airports after booking. Have you experienced this at all?
We travel to Greece three times a year with Kosmar and other than change of flight times by an hour we have had no problem. We always travel from Manchester although we live much closer to Birmingham because we have seen over the years that Kosmar seem to have problems with Birmingham and Bristol flights. This is probably because they get too few bookings from these airports and end up combining the flights. I have also had friends who booked from Birmingham and had their flights cancelled and transfered to Gatwick at the last minute. In addition to these problems they have started using airlines with a poor reputation although again this has not affected Manchester flights. It is not a good situation but unfortunately no other company can match Kosmar for price or the range of destinations.
Hi Shirley h,. I also travelled with Kosmar and stayed at the Fomithea Hotel in Kamari. Rated a 2 star + and I would agree this is fair. We were also due to fly from Birmingham but had to swap to Manchester as Kosmar didn't have enough demand for the Bham flight! :x Added cost onto holiday as we had to stay overnight at Manchester airport....flew on a Thomas Cook flight which was excellent though.
Kamari is situated on a slight incline, the beach isn't very pretty, it's black and pebbly in places but people didn't seem to mind. Prices were just the same as any other Greek island we've visited and in some places cheaper, it all depends on where you go. Cocktails at that time of year were 4 euros in most places and we were paying on average 30 euros for a meal incl starters and mains with drinks. Hope this helps!
Thanks a lot both,

Still in turmoil though. The Kosmar prices are tempting but don't fancy travelling to Manchester. Would really like to go from Bristol or preferably Cardiff. My sister and her husband who live in Northampton are also coming with us so we've the added decision of whether we all go from the same airport or not.

I'll just have to keep researching, but hoping to book in about a week's time.

Please keep you're suggestions flowing.
Hi Shirley,

Just arrived back from Santorini this evening, we stayed at Kafouros Studios in Kamari. We travelled with Kosmar, and had no problems with them at all. Our rep was very helpful and gave us lots of information about the island.

We did have one flight change, it wasn't too bad only a few hours earlier than planned. We was delayed one hour going and two hours coming back. We flew with Excel Airways from Gatwick.

Other people staying at our airport had a 4 hour delay flying from Birmingham and others a 9 hour delay going back.

The hotel is very nice, and in a great location as some other Kosmar hotels are quite a far walk from the beach and restaurants. I will write a full report on the hotel tomorrow.

I will definately be going back to Santorini and would use Kosmar again. We had a very relaxing holiday, shame I have work tomorrow!
I have only 6 days left till my trip, so am getting excited now!

has any1 stayed at the Armonia hotel?
And could any1 recomend some good inexpensive eating places in kamari please.

and this will sound stupid, but are there laundrette facilities? because Im not taking a big strong man, Ive got to handle my own case, and well Im not known for travelling light,

sioux

:oops: and Im sorry for the other post I did, can we put it down to excitement!
Hi Sioux,

There is lots of inexpensive restaurants in Kamari. Lots of meals for two people offers for approx 20 euros.
I would recommend Prince for snacks and they do yummy milkshakes! Dolphins is also a very nice restaurant, prices for drinks are a little more expensive than others we went to.

We did go for a meal in Thira, prices are higher then Kamari and also get very busy as you can watch the sunset. You get charged more for sitting outside.

I did see a few laundrettes in Kamari so don't think your have a problem with that.

Have a fantastic holiday, I am sure you will as I definately did! :D

If you have any more questions just ask.

Lea
Thanks Lea,

we need to decide now between the Anemi studios in Crete and the Estia studios in Kamari, Santorini. We are leaning towards Crete because of the Cardiff departure. Otherwise we have a 4 hour plus drive to Gatwick. Will need to decide by the weekend. Thanks for your input.
hi Lea,

Thanks for the info, We are also flying with excel, any info on what they are like please? flying from manchester, Im so extremely excited! sad for someone my age i know, but Ive got to do this on my own (well with daughter) to prove something to myself....

Sioux x

5 days left! :D
Hi Sioux,

We was delayed departing Gatwick due to Excel not have enough cabin crew, but after then the flight was ok.

We was delayed two hours coming back due to the plane not leaving UK on time. Excel then did not have enough food trays for approx 30 - 35 passengers. We was just given a hot meal and drink.

The actual flights and cabin crew was fine.

I am sure your have a great holiday! :D
if we dont get a meal my daughter will be pleased, she hates airline food, she reckons my cooking is much better and honestly thats saying something! think I might pack us a lunch up....

Just been surfing the santorini web guides, just to get in the mood! :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.