EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Portugal would be ok for you. the budget is a bit tight though. You would probably have to purchase in the less fashionable areas. Maybe outside the Algarve or inland. But there are still gr8 bargains to be had. Average temp in January[The coldest month] is around 60 degrees.
I think the lack of responses, Fionay, indicates that your budget is unrealistic. Property in areas with a year round season is more in demand and so is more expensive.

Start saving! :wink:
Thats what I already thought but I said I would ask just to keep them happy
Fionay for that sort of budget you could get a small 2 bed on a complex in Belek near Antalya which is 20 mins from the airport, or Lara Antalya both of these areas are near all round resorts with short winters. Belek is where most of the turkish golf courses are and will continue to grow for a good few years. if you want info PM me, and in the interest of honesty yes I am an agent
A place in the sun have a book out called "property Price Guide, Where to buy, What to Pay". It is £9.99 and a great read.

Three examples which have caught my interest are Turkey(4 hours flying time) which Bryn mentioned and looks great value with prices starting at £33,000. Egypt ( five hours flying time) from £26,700 and Morocco(3 hours, 30 mins flying time) with prices starting at £27,500.

These are the book prices and are from agents so things could possibly be cheaper!!!

After I read the book I wanted to fly of all over and buy ten of each in each Country!!!!!! If only it was possible but we all have dreams. :D
Thanks I know Turkey pretty well having visited over the last 17 years and lived there for several months so Turkey was always my favorite but my husband wanted to consider other possibilities The book mentioned sounds interesting I will try and get hold of a copy.
The prices in the book are probably out of date already. All these countries have seen a drop in tourism, if something is cheap its for a reason.
The budget you mentioned will get you somewhere in Turkey but you have to consider the costs od buying a property and furnishing it. The admin costs for military search, agents fees (both buyers and sellers pay these i Turkey) the notary costs because you need to give power of attorney or keep going back yourself to handle the deal, registering your property all eat into your budget. I would set aside £7,000 from your budget to cover your costs. On 55k that would leave 47k for which you could get a reasonable place in need of refurbishment. Are you prepared to employ labour over a thousand miles away to carry out your instructions. Once you know the score you can make your decision.
The west coast of Turkey is having a property boom at the moment. It must end sometime. It is a gamble as to when.
On my previous reply apologise for the maths (48k) but the conclusions are the same.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.