Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Hi there.

Firstly if you are looking to book a hotel in Funchal then be very careful. Most of the hotels are situated in what they call 'the hotel zone' which is a long way out of Funchal centre.

I am not sure what your budget is but friends of ours have stayed at The Cliff Bay 3 times and it certainly seems to tick all your boxes. However I think it is 5 star and therefore quite expensive! The hotel is part of a group and I think they have other hotels in the centre which may be cheaper.

We have been to Madeira independantly and so have our friends. We have both used BA from Gatwick.

For a package look at Strawberry World - http://www.strawberry-world.net

There is a lot to look at strolling along the fron in Funchal - not least the cruise liners that come in. Remember though that there are no beaches.

If you require any more info then please ask.

Pippa
Hope this is not too late but Madeira is very very hilly. I would recommend a hotel as close to the centre of Funchal as possible.

There is flat walking along the waterside at Funchal but the the shopping area is quite hilly and as previously stated the main hotel zone is outside Funchal and is also hilly.
The Hotel Porto Mare and Suite Hotel Eden Mar often do quite good deals and are located in the main hotel area. If you want to stay in a flatter area with ease of access to Funchal then you might consider the Hotel Porto Santa Maria...near the cablecar station and handy for the old town with its restaurants and bars. These hotels are part of the same group as the Cliff Bay.

My folks are in their eighties and get round Madeira ok...as long as they avoid the steep hills...easily done in taxis or on the excellent buses.
A colleague stayed at the Santa Maria over New Year. They booked independently and whilst it was still pricey they saved a bundle over a package deal and they had a better room - top floor sea facing suite. Whilst the hotel does offer half board it is near plenty of restaurants, so it isn't necessary. Main hassle they had was the flight which was changed three times.
I took two elderly relatives of 86 and 90 earlier this year. One has serious walking difficulties. Madeira, though popular with older people is not good if you have mobility problems. We stayed at the Panaramico Hotel which is a little off the main hotel zone.There was nowhere within easy walking distance so the hotel was all we had on offer for evening drinks etc. Although the food was excellent and the staff lovely, 2 weeks was a bit too much.
We did hire a car for the duration and that helped during the day. The island is beautiful, it's just a shame that it's famed gardens are inaccessible if your are not fit.
One of the places we called in at was Canico, we were pleased we hadn't booked an hotel there.
We stayed at the Eden Mare last Nov with my parents age 78 & 75 and they were okay with the hills as long as they could take their time. There is a courtesy bus from the hotel into the centre of Funchal and a bus stop for the service bus just up on the main street, opposite the Monumental Lido and Strawberry world offices where you can book excursions. We have stayed at the Monumental lido but it can be a bit noisy as you are on the main road. If you stay in this area make sure you eat one evening at Sol d'ajuda and try their 'steak on the stone'. It is superb!! I think we booked with Med hotels.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.