Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
It certainly looks as if it did. Have a look at the Bangkok post.I would love to hear what everyone thinks of it.
It looks like it'll be a great airport - the first flights arriving (on the official opening day) were shown live on TV last night. I skipped it as watching planes landing live in the darkness is only interesting if one crashes )

But there are still some problems that need fixing before the real tourist season starts. More currency exchange booths, better signage and more public toilets - not nearly enough by all accounts.

Also, dont forget to wear comfortable shoes, and you'll need to get into training if you arent used to excercise as each of the terminal wings are well over 400 metres long and you're looking at half an hour's brisk walk from some Domestic to International gates if you're transiting.
Fortunately the spirits living in the airport have been appeased, this from a couple of days ago . .

Edit
quote removed. You can provide the link to the quote though
One of out T&Cs is
18. Copying Material from Other Sites
For copyright reasons, material from other websites may not be reproduced on our pages. Any such posts will be deleted.

Fiona ht mod
On Saturday we were taking off from the new Bangkok airport. It looks very nice from the outside and inside, but it was one of the most unpleasant airports to fly from. I am sure that it will get better when it will be completely finished but now the check in and immigration took 1,5 hour! The queues were unbeliavable. It is huge airport so you need plenty of time to get to the gate!!!! Once we went through the security (it is by every entrance to each 'group' of gates - and it is around 400 metres long) , there was nothing to eat or drink.
I think that the airport is too big and instead of one huge building they should have more terminals.
I see the hotels next to the old airport are suffering badly
http://www.bangkokpost.net/Business/17Oct2006_biz04.php
Just got back from Thailand and the new airport is huge and a barn of a place... all unpainted concrete and very austere.
I was a little surprised that we still had to be bussed out to the aircraft on the tarmac... this was Thai Airways domestic BKK to Phuket.
Just had an email from someone I met saying their air-bridge detached from the plane while they trying to board... it was swinging around with everybody flying about trying to hold on... pretty scary.
Cheers Geri
:yikes
That must have been terrifying!
So- not too impressed with the airport then??
She was certainly not impressed with BKK airport... she still loves the Holiday Inn in Patong and is going back next year. However, she has already decided to give BKK a miss and fly the Singapore Airlines and Silk Air route.
Cheers Geri
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.