Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Hi Jess,
I am considering doing Colourful Coasts on 16th Feb with my family, when we were on the destiny in the summer there were three of us with Birthdays and my son really wants to be on the ship for his birthday which is 17th Feb.

Worried a bit about the weather, seems to be a bit hit and miss but really fancy the break at that time of year. Never done a winter break before.

So, I can't help you out on this one, but I'll be your best friend if you keep yours :D
Sue
Hi, We've just returned. Anyone going soon...please check with Thomsons if the toilet issues have been resolved first.
With regard to excursions...we hired a taxi in Lanzarote to take us to fire mountian rather than book Thomsons trip. The taxis have set prices for various tours and this was great value although be aware you have to pay extra for entry to Fire Mountain..8 euros each...and fabulous. Although you dont save much doing it this way unless you are a four adult trip..you see much more and stop at various places.
As for Agadir, I wouldnt go there again. If you decide to go ashore..use a trip...there were worrying tales re taxi drivers etc. And Madeira...try the cable car..its fabulous. If taking more than one case try taking a holdall in place of one of them as storage in the cabin can be a bit tight.
Take loose clothes as your waistband will tighten when there...food glorious food! We took packaway rain macs and were thankful for them..and a jumper or sweatshirt or two is needed in autumn/winter for breezy days/nights.Mobile phones can be charged at reception for you if you take your charger. Our holiday was quite disastrous...we were very unlucky with conditions, weather and thomsons generally..but hopefully it will be fine as it has been before apparantly...and if it isnt...ask for the manager and COMPLAIN..happy sailing! :lol:
Went on this trip February 2006 on the Celebration. Weather was not exactly scorching hot about 18-20 degrees but find a nice sun trap on the ship and you have cracked it. It's a great itinery - even enjoyed the stop at Morrocco. Got a taxi to the nearest beach and spent a few hours there - it's just about 10 minutes taxi ride away. But beware the morroccans we met were not the friendliest of people and the "lucky lucky men" were downright rude swearing at us if when said no thank you. Every other port has loads to do without having to get a taxi anywhere so enjoy
Can anyone who has done this trip give me advice on DIY trips ashore or any other information that might be of use.

We are cruising over New Year :D , what will the temperature be around that time of year in the Canaries?

Thank you.
We have just returned from colourful coast cruise last friday.
DIY trips are easy as you are generally in walking distance from the ship to the centre of town. Taxis are easy to get so are local buses.
The only place I would not recommend a DIY is Morrocco as a few people on our cruise who got into taxis were taken to some very unsavoury places and had to pay extra money to get back to ship.
I have been in Lanzarote over the new year and it was hot during the day but you may need thin jackets for the night time.
Hope you have a good time.
Thanks for that, I am planning on going in Feb, and am a little concerned about the weather. Its got to be better than Feb in the UK though :D
I will be going with my husband and 2 kids, my husbands been to Morrocco a couple of times and wasn't overly keen so we may have a day on the ship.
:D Thanks for the reply. I have not read any good reports on Agadir, I heard they where going to stop that port of call.

I cant wait just over 8 weeks to go :!:
I have booked this evening for a last minute deal on 24th Nov.
Just a couple of questions (probably 1st of many!!)

How expensive are drinks on board? We were offered all inclusive of £140 each for 1 week which Im not sure whether to except. We will probably spend most of our days on excursions.

Can you wear jeans/combats to dinner in the main restaurant in the evening (not captains night) or does it have to be trousers & shirt?

Is it normal for cruise ships to have a lack in double beds? They only seem to be available in deluxe cabins.
We certainly got our moneys worth from the all inclusive deal. Ther were 5 of us, 2 adults and 3 children and during the week we worked out that our drinks bill would have been in the region of £550!
Jeans adn Combats are only allowed on one night in the restaurant, other nights it is trousers.
Double beds are only in deluxe rooms. We had cabins on deck 3 which were 2 singles. These cabins are small but during the day one of the beds was folder away into the wall and the other made into a settee so there was more room.
Hi Challdell,
There is a topic on AI drinks where people have been discussing whether the supplement is worth it. Its under the cruises forum.
Only you can decide how much use you will make of it and how much you drink, but there is a bit of advice to help you.

Hchy Girl,
When you did this tour in February how busy was the ship.

The reason I ask, is we did the Destiny in the summer and booked 12 mths in advance. This was worth it because we got the AI Upgrade free, and even on the last minute deals, when you added on the Upgrade we had got the best price possible.

They are not offering the AI Upgrade at the moment for Feb. There seems to be loads of availibilty, and I am thinking of waiting to book for a late deal. If the ships are quite quiet in Feb then I will be more inclined to hang on and see what happens to the prices.
Thanks
It wasn't full as someone i know got moved when they had a problem with their cabin. However I went with my two children during half term (feb) so needed to book early as there was only 3 of us and 2 cabins would not have been viable. After booking i kept my eye on the prices just to see if i had a bargain found that there was no availability around this time - that could have been cos of the 4 berth cabin and half term, but i can't say for definite. imo if the dates you need are set then what price would you consider acceptable for the trip - add say £200 on for drinks. If the price is right book it if not keep checkin. If you can vary your dates easy then you have more flexibilty to hang on but its a gamble as last minute prices with extras for late pick up of tickets do not always work out the best price. Good Luck :P It's a fantastic itinary!
Anyone off on the Destiny for christmas??? We've just booked last minute and join the cruise in Tenerife on Dec 22nd.

Anyone done something similar over Christmas before? Is there anything different going on for christmas eve and christmas day?

I know that dress code will be more than likely smart casual other than the captain's night, but I'm hoping that more people might dress up more with it being Christmas???? Or am I in the minority there?!!

Kay :D
what would the weather be like at this time of year ,would the sea be very rough, is it cold in the night. thanks.
It wasn't too rough last week, a bit of bobbing about, slightly more than summer in the med but not as bad as I had expected. But it is cold at night outside, if you stop off at the Lido on your way back to bed you will definitely need a cardigan!
Is anyone doing the colourful coasts itinerary on the Destiny this winter?

We are going on 9th November. Really looking forward to it.
Hi Lesley

We're looking to book for Jan 08.
We did the same cruise this year and loved it, if you've got any questions I will be happy to answer them.

Mollybabes :wave
We will probably take something warm to wear to the Lido. I saw on another website that there's 3 red, 3 white and 3 rose wines available on the Celebration all inclusive! Quite a choice. Do you know if it's the same on the Destiny? Also, do you know if they have Baileys? I also read somewhere they were going to change the beers - hubby hates Stella, which is a bit of a shame for him! He'll have to have vodka then, or Mojitos if they have them!
We didn't have all inclusive last time so sorry i can't help you with the wines or baileys.

The weather wasn't great for the first few days so I needed a cardigan in the lido but there were no problems rest of week.

Hope you have a great holiday

Mollybabe :wave
Hi

Regarding drinks, someone on another forum posted these links to the drinks list they brought back from the THOMSON CELEBRATION. It just says Thomson Cruises though. It looks fantastic, so I'm hoping it applies to the Destiny too!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/cjdolan/front.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/cjdolan/back.jpg
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.