Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
I've just returned from Cabarete and although we didnt stay at this hotel we did pass it and it looked lovely and there was high security outside it. As far as Cabarete as a resort is concerned there is not really much outside your hotel. There is 1 street full of shops all selling the same souvenirs and are very expensive (apparently they half the price if you dont have an all inclusive wrist band on). The street vendors and taxi drivers hassle you constantly and you have to be very very firm with them. Theres a couple of very expensive pubs and restaurants if you want to venture out from the hotel however our first choice rep advised us only to go out during the day and that it was not safe after 6pm. There is one bargain shop called Liquidation thats a fraction of the price of everything. Dont buy anything from the beach as you'll get it here for next to nothing. We did enjoy our holiday although I found it very frustrating not having the option to get out of the hotel much.
Forgot to mention the weather, for the whole fortnight it was scorching, loads of thunder and lightening at night but only rained for half hour on 1 day however on the day we left the skies opened and it was torrential rain all the way to the airport.
Hi, we have booked this resort as it seems to offer a little more than Playa Dorada. Can I have some opinions regarding the resort and the hotel viva wyndham tangerine.
I have read the reviews surrounding the hotel but feel the need to have more up to date news. thanx :?
If anyone would like to post a review for the Tangerine Resort, please do so HERE.

Many Thanks.

Pippy :D
our first choice rep advised us only to go out during the day and that it was not safe after 6pm.

The reps often tell you that so you don't buy cheaper excursions elsewhere because they get commission on the trips they sell.
I have travelled many time to the north, south and east coast of the DR and have found it to be safer than a lot of areas in London. Even on my own, I am female in my 50's, I have never felt unsafe, as long as you follow basic common sense of not flaunting cameras, money and jewellery etc and stay in public places you are probably as safe there as at home. To make extra sure always carry your bag across your body or on the side away from the road after dark.

Lynn
Hi, I have already booked to Viva Wynham Tangerine for next year but unsure whether we have done the right thing. Is the Gran Ventana hotel better than the hotel we are going to. Read reviews but very confused stil have loads of time to change if need be many thanx

kazee :? :? :?
Kazee,

I have been to Tangerine with my mum and she has also been to Gran ventana. Her personal choice hands down would be Gran Ventana any day. It all depends on how you feel about it the Tangerine is lovely but I personally would not return there whereas I know my mum is looking at booking Gran ventana again!
thanx Samsung

Why would you not go back to the Tangerine? and why does your mum prefer Gran Ventana.
You see the more I read up about Cabarete I feel the sea will let me down. I love to snorkel and go for a splash to cool off however, it appears that the beach is too windy hmmmmm :? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
The sea was extremley rough when we were at the tangerine. The beach is also full of kite surfers. Which are fantasic to watch but alot of them when they come in you really have to watch out for the ropes. I have two kids and we only went down to the sea for an hour one day as my youngest nearly got knocked over by one for them coming in so we just stayed away much easier! When we stayed there it had only just opened so there were a few teething problems but I have read alot of reviews since and things seem to have been sorted out. I personally wouldn't go back for back mainly because of the beach IMHO! My mum prefers Gran Ventana mainly because the sea is alot calmer there and they just loved the hotel!

Hope this helps please just remember that it is only my opinion and I am sure you will have a great time wherever you go!
thanks samsung. what does 'IMHO' stand for? :? :?:
In My Humble Opinion!
Samsung
We have changed hotels, it cost a little more but feel much better now that we can snorkel in the sea. After reading a lot of reviews it appeared that the beach was extremely windy and a lot of bathers felt this was a 'put off'.
Thanks again for your humble opinion :) now we know that a beach holiday can be achieved. :D :D
thanxs again Kazee
I am sure you are going to have a fantastic time! When are you going?
Hi Samsung :)
We depart from Manchester to Puerto Plata on 10/1/07 for 2 weeks. Looking forward to it but very mindful of the long haul flight. Most I have flown is 5 hours.

kazee
Can't seem to find many reports on this hotel. Going in Nov 2006, any info please. Have been twice before to dom rep and never had a problem.
If anyone would like to add a review, please do so HERE.

Thanks.

Pippy :D
I have just been to cabarete this year sept 2006 i have posted a review,
but i would be glad to help anyone with individual questions or photos of the hotel tangerine or the place itself.
*Edit to remove email address to protect member from spam emails. Please use PM facility instead. Thanks. Pippy*
I have read the reviews for the Viva Wyndham Tangerine hotel. the views do seem to be very good, has anyone been there recently?
Could someone advise how far it is from bars etc. We will be visiting beginning of June time.

Please any info at all would be great....

Ps as i say i have checked the reviews, just any additional information would be great.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.