General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
A few years ago we went to Morocco and did a tour of the Imperial Cities which spanned New Year. Being a moslem country, we were not bombarded with too many Christmas leftovers, infact seeing a tree in a hotel lobby seemed quite out of place! On NYE some of us - the Alsacian group - got together and bought a special local cake which we shared and others produced bottles of schnapps (no trueblood Alsacian travels without such a necessity!) and had a good time without the hotel's dinner/dance - at a supplementary price, and continued to enjoy NY the next day as some of our fellow travellers had brought the typical French cotillons - streamers, paper balls etc - and decorated the coach. The Alsacians stuck together, and the Parisians and Nantais refused to join in and sat unmoved whilst we had a lot of laughs and also tidied up after ourselves so that the coach driver would not have extra work to do.

Best NYE I've spent in ages, and had a real mind-blowing experience in the Souks and warm daytime temperatures ......... mind you it dropped to below freezing at night!
Sounds like you had a bril time. Morocco's out for us as we're going there for Easter. Any other ideas please? Remember it has to be 'doable' from Cardiff or Bristol. Thanks.
How about Istanbul? I have been there around new year and it is lovely.
Weve spent new yr n xmas in dubai past 2yrs! But fancy change we want go round 28th dec, we have 3young girls so has to fit around them! So b grateful see what u find as inspiration! Also limited bristol cardiff. . .
wanabebeachbabe

To prevent any of your post being deleted, please do not post in phone style text, eg yr instead of year, b instead of be, u instead of you, etc as per our Rules of Posting.

Rules Of Posting:

2) Do NOT post in TXT message style - Your post WILL be deleted.

Some of our visually impaired member use Screen Readers that do not recognise this type of text.

luci :wave
I've looked into this in a little more depth. I've come up with return flights to Krakov and Prague for around £200 (total for 2). Edinburgh is cheaper at £144 but accomodation here is far more expensive than the eastern europe countries. We will need much more spends in Edinburgh too.

To break it down we can have 4 nights B&B in Prague or Krakow for around £350 (total for 2 incl flights). I'm considering booking one of these but need more time to think about it. The flights are with Easyjet from Bristol and I've priced the accomodation with travel republic.

Have I got myself a bargain or not? What do you think please?
Be aware that it will be cold - possibly very cold!
that's a good price - I don't think you'll get cheaper than that. It will definitely be cold, but that's half the fun of it. Wrapping up in layers, with hat scarf & gloves, then warming up before lovely log fires. Plenty to see in both those places Shirley. I'd have a job to decide.
Barcelona for me december, xmas in barca is soo pretty and still quite warm and sunny..
not for new year BUT for the first time we are having 9 nights away over Christmas [alberfura] dont know if i will like it [apart from one year when we went to relatives] i have always believed it best to spend Christmas in my own home... see how it goes

wiz
Oh fantastic, it will make nice change im sure! No christmas post dinner washing up! :) my hunt is officially starting as from tomorrow or maybe tonight
Sorry,
I didn't realise I hadn't updated here. We've booked to stay for 3 nights in Prague (old town). We're flying out with Easyjet from Bristol on New Year's Eve morning and returning on 3rd Jan. We had an excellent deal on an hotel with Travel Republic. Looking forward :)
not for new year BUT for the first time we are having 9 nights away over Christmas [alberfura] dont know if i will like it [apart from one year when we went to relatives] i have always believed it best to spend Christmas in my own home... see how it goes

wiz

We too have always been home birds for Christmas, but we did toy with the idea last year. We sort of compromised, and for the 1st time ever went out for lunch as a family, us, daughter & hubby, & son, wife & grandchildren. We enjoyed so much, we have booked a repeat performance for this year. Maybe next year we might look further afield for Christmas. Not so sure about New Year, as I like to see it in with family & friends.
Hubby and I went away for New year around 4 years ago and had the best time. We stayed in an apartment of an aquaintance of hubby's. It was in Cala mia Majorca (think that's how it's spelt) :que We flew in on New years eve, got there around 5pm. Had a quick shower and changed then had a lovely chineese. Saw New year in at the apartments bar singing Karaoke. Wish my job would allow us to go away every year :(
No, not for us, for the last 6 yrs or so, a group of us friends ( some of us met in antenatel appointments and got to be great mates ) have took it in turns to have new years eve round each others houses and always have a great time. It gets better year after year as the kids get older and even more friends that you meet at school come along, its come back round to ours this year and the last count for folks coming, including kids, was 45, now, I don't have a big house, but hey ho, will fit everyone in somehow !! mind you, could do with borrowing a fridge for the night !!
the last count for folks coming, including kids, was 45,

:duh Couldn't think of anything worse than having loads of people to entertain at my home on New Year's Eve - but each to their own.

Helen's provided an excellent link for me in the Prague forum. I'm getting really excited now, looks like we're going to have a memorable NY.
Shirley, I hear ya , yep am hoping they can just entertain themselves !
Anyway, glad you are getting sorted, sounds like you will have a smashing time :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.