General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hi
Just back from Zante and had very limited cooking utensils.
Took a couple of large tins of tuna and made tuna pasta salad, also took 'toastie pockets' (Instore 2 packs for £1.50) then you can make a toastie.
Salads are really cheap abroad so had plenty of those and as a vegetarian I find Greece to be one of the easiest places to holiday to eat.
Have a great holiday.
Irene
Hi All, just returned from Menorca and despite my earlier post regarding easy cooking ideas my self catering only went as far as toast and cereal for breakfast and ham and cheese sarnies for lunch. I took a bag of pasta and Dolmio sauces which have come back intact. We (family of 4) ate out every evening and didn't find it too expensive at all so I fully took advantage of not having to cook for the fortnight. I did manage poached eggs with the toast one morning though!
We're in our 60's and always go self-catering as like the freedom. Always take tea bags and coffee (in plastic containers) and fill the kind of plastic containers you get from Chinese takeaways with j cloth, small sharp knife, small bottle washing-up liquid, scissors, pills etc etc then use them for storing cheese, bacon and left-overs in fridge in the apartment. For value buy a spit roast chicken they are delicious and cheap, add some salad and french bread - job done and there'll be enough for sandwiches next day. To be honest you can eat out so cheaply compared to UK even with a bottlle of wine so go with the idea of one meal in and one out each day and it won't cost a fortune, after all you are on holiday and even a toastie tastes better in the sun!!

Have a good holiday YOU DESERVE IT

Katy
We find that if you go into a private apartment, not one booked through a package deal, then they are as well equipped as your kitchen at home. Many also have washing machines so you can take less clothes and more home favourites if you so wanted to. The mercadonna is great value, we are a couple and without meaning to sound like I'm boasting we could afford to eat out 3 times a day. However we only go out at night to a restaurant, this is because we love to sunbathe on our balcony. All I take with us is English bacon, English cereal and teabags. Everything else is just the same or better than home. Also because we go in a privately owned apartment, all stuff like cooking oil, salt,pepper, baking foil, etc, etc, are always left in the apartment, on a you use you replace basis.
in all the years ive been going s/c the only thing ive cooked is a tin of soup :rofl . but now i think more people are taking the prices more to in hand and cooking in the apartments, so my next one is going to be a few meals in the apartments, pasta dishes with may be a cooked chicken (you find them roasting in all resorts) easy to make your own sauce, either with tom and herbs or fresh cream in a pan bit of mustard and black pepper corns. egg dishes are easy to do as mentioned. even fresh beguettes cut in half long ways with cheese and ham, toms, slap it under the grill hey presto you have home made pizza
Thought I'd re-visit this thread as we'll be having a rather "credit-crunched" SC holiday to Fuerteventura at Easter (less euro-spends for my £'s etc). I bought some of those JML Toastabags from the £1 shop the other day, I know there is a toaster, kettle and microwave in the apartment. I have some Chinese takeaway plastic containers saved for storing stuff.
Planning to eat out in the evenings but don't fancy overspending during the day. Been to the resort before so I know where the best supermarkets are, just don't want to end up eating toasties for breakfast and lunch every day! Will fill the fridge/cupboards with loads of supermarket pop/crisps/biscuits/bread etc ASAP after arrival.
I may take some packets of pasta'n'sauce with us and buy some cooked chicken or ham in resort to mix with it. Can't take very much food with us though - luggage allowance will be taken up by two teenage girls' clothes :roll: Obviously I'll be taking "proper" teabags and sugar. Can anyone think of any other lightweight food we can take with us?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.