Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
I guess before anyone can recommend anywhere you could do with an idea of where the wedding is being held as this will have an impact on where to stay resort wise. Cyprus is a very large island, predominantly weddings either take place in the East - Ayia Napa, Protaras etc. or the West, Paphos. It's at least a 2 hour drive between the 2 areas and although the roads are good and they drive on the same side as us it could still be a daunting trip en route to a wedding.

I'd get the wedding venue first and then perhaps ask again, the East & West are very different as this forums posts prove.

Take a look here at some Cyprus maps to get a feel for how large the island is - http://www.moi.gov.cy/moi/DLS/dls.nsf/All/93D10108B3A1B046C22570E5003941E5?OpenDocument

You can also check out the official Cyprus Gov website - http://www.visitcyprus.com/wps/portal
thanks for reply...isnt there 2 parts to cyprus...a greek side and a turkish side...dont see any borders on map...do you need your passport to go from one to the other...you are right must try to find out where about they are planning to go as more than one popular venue ...
Yes you do need your passport to cross from south to north or vice versa.

For a wedding, it is much more likely to be in the south.
Yes, if you are going to the West of the island, or Larnaca (or Larnaka) if you are going East.
just found out its july not may/june as first thought....so will have same problem as I have this august when Im off for a week in rhodes for sons wedding...the heat ....thats why only going for the week....so was thinking just go for 4 days as 2 weeks in the heat will be just torture to me ...not a holiday I could enjoy....out of curiosity I went surfing the net to find cost of flights for same time this year....first call was olympic airlines as flown to greece with them before...they only listed larnaca airport and no flights for dates around the ones I would have needed....thompson was aprox £1300 for the 3 of us...and thomas cook was aprox £800 once you added the checked in bags , was larnaca as well ....

seems so expensive just to attend a wedding...then need to add 3 nighta accomodation and transfers...
Personally I would say it's too far to go for just 3/4 days let alone the cost, as your going to pay the same for those short days for flights as you would for 1 or 2 weeks :que

July & August are the hottest months in Cyprus generally, although early July is okay usually.

With regard flight prices it really does depend on whether your flying to Larnaca for the East or Paphos for the West ? It really is a case of the earlier you book the cheaper the prices for flights to Cyprus. We book ours in October as soona s they're released for the following year and we never pay more than £200pp. Again it also depends which airports you can fly from ?

I think you'll go round in circles until you know the location for the wedding :think
miss cheif...I agree with what youve said....and if book early and dates changed as they often do with weddings we could be wasting money....that thought was part of why we decided a holiday which also enabled us to attend wedding would be ideal...so if wedding canceled it wouldnt have mattered so much...it does look like it will be early july so holiday idea still stands and will probably cost us same as flights and 3 nights accomodation.....as long as taxi to and from wedding is possible and not too expensive would work out fine....am doing my homework now so know how much need to save and dont land up in bad accomodation
The border is known as The Green Line:

1 = Paphos 2 = Larnaca 3 = Protaras/Paralimni tourist areas

http://www.smedirectory.net/uploadedimages/16620e.jpg
thanks edwards...that map is brilliant ....can get a better idea now...so both airports on greek side....can you pass freely for sight seeing ect or is it awkward
There are (IIRC) 5 crossing points.

From the FCO website:

Crossing the 'Green Line'
A buffer zone, known as the ‘Green Line', was established following the hostilities in 1974, and is patrolled by UN peace keeping forces. It divides the island from the coast north west of Morphou through Nicosia to Famagusta. It is possible to visit the northern part of Cyprus by using any one of the official crossing points on the 'Green Line'. There are no longer any restrictions on how long you can stay in the northern part of Cyprus if you cross over.

The crossing points are located as follows:

Ledra Palace checkpoint in central Nicosia (Pedestrians Only)
Ledra Street in central Nicosia (Pedestrians only)
Agios Dometios in Nicosia
2 in the Eastern Sovereign Base Area: (Black Knight - Nr Ayios Nikolaos) and Pergamos (nr Dhekelia)
Astromeritis (near Morphou, and 30kms west of Nicosia)

You may take a hired car through the checkpoints, except at Ledra Palace and Ledra Street, which are for pedestrians only. If you plan to take a hired car through the checkpoints, you should check first with the hire car company that they are content for you to do so, and whether you need to purchase additional insurance, available at the checkpoint, before crossing.

When passing through the crossing points you will need your passport. A separate sheet will be provided on which you will need to enter your passport details in order to pass through the crossing point.

Mark
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.