Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Hi gina, there are 4 of us, 2 adults and 2 kids 4 & 10.

A bit put off by that previous post, but hey ho it's paid for now :D
Sorry everyone never ment to put you off was just being honest, you might have a totally different experience from what we had !!!! to be fair we have always went AI and have been to some really fab hotels so maybe I've been a bit spoiled !!( but this was by far the most we have ever paid so expected it to way out do the rest) it was a poor effort tho hopefully just teething problems but well time will tell !!!! And it seemed to be no one was to blame we went to the rep and the hotel to complain but it seemed to be no ones fault or at least no one was willing to help!! Becky the first choice rep was great when we had an accident in the pool and the hospital in paphos was fantastic!!!!!!
Please be aware the pool is not as deep as it says on the side we heard of 5 different accidents with people jumping in to a pool they though was deep only to find it was half what it should have been.

Gina the weather was great, really good was starting to cool down a bit our last few days but that is not a bad thing as it was so hot both day and night but not unbearable air con in our room was great and we were lucky that it stayed on while we were out the room so we always had somewhere cool to hide, but there was 6 in our party and the other 2 were in the room next door and the air con was not as good the air con is set by a motion sensor so as soon as you leave the room or go to sleep at night it switches off.
yuk weather forecast for paphos isnt very nice for next week, i go a week on Wednesday so hope the weather gets better
just back from 2 weeks at aliathon going to post review here and on reviews page, was their first 2 weeks in sept.

Rooms - were gorgeous huge balcony dvdplayer cd player, plasma, nice bathrooms, sat out on balcony allot as it was a suntrap this was a plus point of holiday how nice room was. Negative points - air con was on sensor so went off when you were out of room or asleep meant room was hot most of time, fire alarms kept going off randomly during nights and no one came to explain what happening 3, 4 and 5 am about 5 times during stay, and water supplys stopped meaning no bathing facilties, toilets flushing, water or juice for about 3 days. Mini fridge also not stocked.

Food - buffet has plenty to chose from during morning lunch and night, pastas, variety of salads, cooked meats which changes daily, chips, pizza, pies etc. Even went to breakfast at 10 most days and still got it! Breakfasts were amazing exact same as UK. It is a dinning hall but most buffets are and is selve service therefore you loose the sit down meal where you have drinks served etc. Lunch bar was slightly poorer chips, burgers, hot dogs, salads, pizzas all good but exact same every day. Restaurants were very poor save yourself and dont go, they forget you have even ordered takes around an hour for a course to be served them when it comes we left it in both restaurants. Unfortunately eating at the buffet although it is good for 14 days becomes repetative so we ate out a few times too to get some nice service and some variety.

Drinks - plenty of them to chose from rum, beer, wine, vodka, coktails etc etc, self service in buffet but the rest of bars are each to there own. Bar in amphitheatre will only give you 2 per person in small plastic cup even if you sat right infront of them and they can see there is 6 of you, adult bar and bar above buffet dont mind and less strict. Pool bar awfull the staff here are rude should learn to smile its free. Bar at older pools are great staff are so friendly and dont mind the rule either. Apparently the hotel owners are very strict with staff and if they get caught giving more than 2 drinks they can loose job might account for there behaviour but doesnt explain why this rule in place when.

Pools - beach pool huge goes all way round lighthouse, kids pool tons for them to do all day, 2 pools in older complex lovely and relaxing and right next to the bars plus quite deep. No code browns in any pools! Found plenty of sunbeds daily sometimes didnt go out till 11 and never had to reserve bed as there was so many free aswell as umberellas musty be time of year.

Entertainment - okay heres bad point - this place is awfull for entertainment unless you like to sit in an amphitheater watching mini disco, bingo and listening to reps screaming and I mean screaming songs at you where you cannot talk due to volume. They try there hardest and it must be hard but it is not entertainment and we chose not to sit here as it was painfull, word of advice to one of reps a bra wouldnt go a miss. Kids entertainment was lacking none of the E3 things they had at Turkey etc but again apparently its due to time of year, it would appear that after August they all just give up despite the fact theres still tourists their and more coming. There is nothing else in the hotel. We were the only people in the adult bar which had no music and was depressing, the bar above the buffet was the exact same. Found many night going back to balcony or going out of hotel as it was so depressing. Many other hotels like turkey or other all inlcus have live music or an area where people can go and relax that has an atmosphere, not here unfortunately.

Outside hotel - long road of restaurants and some bars and hagen dazz outside hotel you get a discount in some. We went to fishing harbour worth a visit nice to look at and sit and enjoy a drink although overpriced. I didnt believe how overpriced Paphos was until I went its £20 for a steak, £11 for a pizza and about £4 a wine, we spent loads considering we were all inclusive we ate out a few times for a variety and drank out a few times for some entertainment, this is not the idea when you pay so much for an all inclusive hotel, if I'd known this at time think I would have went Self Catering. Went to warterpark it wasnt a rip off as people make out was 28euro to get in and had a large breakfast at hotel before left so had a lunch which was 5e and a juice which was 3e. Didnt think that per adult was expensive, it was a well worth day out out amazing.

Overall - we had a good holiday and if you can overlook the little things you will enjoy it. Would we go back, no, because it doesnt have as much to offer as other villages or all inclusive hotels and the entertainment was too lacking for us, would we go back to cyprus, no, now we've been there and seen paphos we'd like to try somewhere new. We had a great holiday despite the above albeit we spent more than we hoped for and if you can overlook the little things or are not bothered by them then you will aswell.

Please feel free to ask any questions, sorry for the length of this I have never been good at summarising!
Hay scoobydoo82 just to say i totally agree with everything you say just could'nt be bothered righting so much !!LOL we must have crossed paths at some point
We spent about £1100 on top of our AI and have nothing to show for in not even a fridge magnet !!
and also loved the aqua park all in that only cost us about £100 2 adults and 2 kids with drinks and lunch probably one of our cheaper days out !
anyway glad you had a good time we did also just over all a bit disappointed over all after HV turkey last year !!! we wont be going first choice again !!!!!!!!!!
Got back from Aliathon early hours Monday morning (22nd Sept) after a 5 hour delay at Paphos airport - the kids didn't realise the time because I had a pack of cards in my bag and taught them all to play Chase The Ace. Total card sharks now!

Anyway, about the holiday!

Well.... it was fab. We loved our fortnight there and would recommend it to anyone. My little family of four were there for a week before the inlaws and outlaws arrived for the second week (we got married at the chapel on the complex during the second week - if anyone wants hints about the service from the wedding reps or advice on what to get them to do/do yourself please PM me and I'll be happy to help).

The pools were great. The splash pool is amazing, and was a massive hit with the kids, and because it was only hip-high on my one-year-old at its deepest it was also less stressful for me! Although, I did experience a bad skin reaction on my back and couldn't figure out why. We had all been to the splashpool every morning for almost the entire first week, until I guessed (rightly or wrongly) that it might be the cause of my condition. This faded within 48 hours of us steering clear. Dirty water? Overly chlorinated to compensate for baby wee? Your guess is as good as mine!

The food was lovely in the main restaurant (which is well air-conditioned). Good variety every lunch/dinner, although by the end I was fed up of the breakfast. Two weeks is a long time without a lightly toasted round of Warburtons loaded with proper butter!

As others have pointed out, the lunch at the Lighthouse is really not great, but I went quite a few times because I didn't want to go into the main restaurant with the kids again. The staff there were by far the grumpiest on the entire complex.... but if you ask for something they are still happy to oblige - if only they showed it better!

If you fancy a spa treatment the staff there are all lovely, welcoming and extremely friendly and relaxed. It's not free (it's not even cheap!) but it's a very nice place to unwind if that's your bag! I can recommend the Sports Massage.... it's a bit "ouch" at times but it does the job!

Our accomodation was good. We had a one bedroom superior in the old side, right by the pool. Our poolbar was mostly staffed by a wonderful lady by the name of Marina.... very endearing, funny, helpful and chatty. Tell her you want a Pina Colada at ten to six (just as she's clearing up) and hear her shout (jokingly, of course) "I KILL YOU!"

:rofl

Well, I'm obviously waffling on a bit now, but if I think of anything important I'll be sure to post up.

If I can help anyone else please feel free to PM me!
Hi interstella, really good to hear a good review, what has the weather been like through the day and night because on the web it says its been rain and clouds as this been the case?? and also is there much for teanagers to do at night - like a place where they hang out etc :que
i was wondering about the weather also? and how much cooler is it of an evening?
different websites are giving me different forecasts for next week some say sunny all week, some say rain and some say thunderstorms lol
Guys,

The tempreture should be okay, around 25 to 28 degrees.
If it's cloudy, still put on the old sun cream, as you will still burn
if you are not carefull. Trust me, I learnt the hard way :cry
If it does rain, you might find that it's only showers and things dry
up very quickly. If not, dive in the pool, your already wet !! :rofl

Anyway, I'm jealous. Been back in the UK one week and wishing we were back
in the Aliathon, by the pool by day and by night in the Wild Horse.

Roll on next year !!!!
It began to rain while we were at the airport on our way home... I have no idea what it's like now.

I suppose we got lucky with our two baking-hot weeks - for a change (I usually take the bad weather away with me!).

I really hope it's lovely for you guys.

:sun2
i think this question was answered but is there wireless internet in the rooms? husband wants to take the lap top heaven for bid he cant get on the internet for a week ;)
No wireless internet in rooms - the best thing to do would be to buy a 3G card. Safe is plenty big enough for a laptop.

Alternatively, there is a Starbucks on the way to the harbour and they have wireless internet (for a small charge) or there is an internet cafe near the harbour which is much much cheaper than the 1 Internet PC at the hotel which is 2 Euro for 15 mintues and very slow.
To Larson.... The evenings are breezy but not at all cold. I didn't need a jacket for the whole fortnight.
Got home from our 1 week holiday this morning and wow what a fab holiday i will post here and also in the hotel review section.

when we got on the coach to the hotel we were given a information pack which had our room card already in it with our allocated room number which was great when we got to the hotel you just go in quick 2 seconds and they tell you to go to the porter who will see you to your room, got on a buggy and the porter drove us to our room in the fishing village and carried all our cases up the stairs to our room for us,

Rooms: EXCELLENT we booked a 1 bedroom deluxe apartment and for some reason was upgraded free of charge to a 2 bedroom it was lovely plasma tv and dvd player in the lounge which kept my twin 23month year olds happy while we got ready of an evening, lovely big bed in main bedroom(which we later saw was 2 beds pushed together but u wouldnt know it from sleeping on it so comfortable) with doors leading to balcony, which was very big with sun beds, and table and chairs. pool towels provided in your room, british plugs so no need for adaptor and also hairdryer in bedroom. cleaner was fantastic our room was always cleaned to a spotless standard if she came during my twins nap time she would always come back later and clean the room for us.

Food: we upgraded when we got to the resort from self catering to AI as we had heard good reports about the food, lovely fresh good variety always something different every night to choose from, the snack bar was hit or miss if you got the food fresh it was ok if not then it was horrible and it was always the same food on the snack bar pizza, undercooked burgers, chips, nuggets etc
Mexican was really nice, fast service, excellent waiters couldnt do enough for us we even tipped them well cause they bent over back wards to ensure we got everything we needed for the twins, greek i didnt enjoy at all but my husband liked it, guess thats down to personal taste!

we did find the staff on the bars a little rude/abrupt on the first day but once they saw us with our kids they couldnt do enough to help us always playing with the kids making sure they were happy, we never had a problem with the 2 drink rule.

the creche was awesome a big thank you to all the team who worked so hard in the creche my twins had a great time highly recommend the creche, they give u a mobile phone when u take ur children to the session so they can contact you if they need to which i thought was fab.

entertainment well what can i say other then rubbish lol, they worked hard and tried there best but it just wasnt good at all we took the kids to kids village which was from 8pm till 9pm every night but there was nothing for younger children and they did more talking about there selves then what they did entertaining the kids. this was followed by bingo which we did play for something to do u could win a reasonable amount most the time 80euro a line and 200euro a house we never won though :offtop

the one complaint i had was i wanted a late check out at time of booking and was told to ask in resort, asked when we got to the hotel and they said to ask 2 days before our departure date, i called and asked reception 2 days before the departure date and they said they would let us know the night before then we got a slip under the door the MORNING we were due to go home saying we couldnt have a late check out that annoyed me as we had to sit around from 12noon till 12 midnight with the little ones! :(

all in all excellent holiday, fab weather i wouldnt hesitate but to recommend this holiday village highly!!!!
Larson - great to hear you had such a good time - we're going on the 19th Oct with 2 small children and we were also booked s.c. After all the reviews on this site about how expensive it is to eat out are considering upgrading to AL - how much was it per day and could you pay by card? :). Any other tips for taking a 4 and 2yr old? Slightly concerned about the aircon in the bedrooms at night seeing as everyone says the sensors switch off really quickly and it gets hot - any one found a way around this?

any other people going to village same time as us? and anyone know if there is a sofa in the Kids Suite rooms?
sar808..... AI cost us 32 euros per adult per day and kids under 2 years old are free, i think kids over 2 was 18 euros per day!!

dont worry about the air conditioning i never had any problems with the air conditioning in the bedrooms it stayed on when i put them on even when we wasnt in the room, and the living room air conditioning turns off when you go out onto the balcony, to be honest its NOT THAT HOT of an evening that you need to worry about the air conditioning or at least we didnt, i would advise to take your own plastic cutlery for your little ones as they dont have any i took plastic plate and baby fork made life alot easier.... i never found there to be any problems with ear infections either while i was out there!
we never ate out but first day went to supermarket got water,juice, bread,butter and jam and it was almost 30 euros that kinda made our mind up to go AI, oh and we had mcdonalds in paphos for 2 adults meals and 2 happy meals was about 25euro i believe!
I didnt find the harbour to be within walking distance not for us anyway we walked a good 25 minutes down the road and was no where near so we gave up walked back and on the next day got a taxi 7euros there and 10 euros back so that wasnt to bad and was well worth the money the harbour is lovely!
if you have any more questions please ask away i am soooo jealous ur going and im not lol it was a fab holiday best we have ever had x
Hi Larson82uk

Glad you had a fab time :) What was the weather like when you were there, we have booked for Oct 2009 and have heard mixed reports :que

Lynda
weather was wonderful sunshine every single day we didnt ever check the exact temperature but it was HOT i would say 80's every day we had NO rain, and one day was a little cloudy but that soon passed over,
im sure it will be nice... of an evening it was sometimes a little windy i always had a cardigan for the kids but they never needed to wear it as it wasnt cold,

hope you have a great time :cheers
All is very quiet in here lately :( Has everyone been that was going to HV this year???? :que I've still got mine to look forward to only 361 sleeps for me :pele :pele :pele
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.