Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
£3 cheque
16 Posts
Out of curiosity, why did you not complain to the rep in the resort?
for the first week there was no rep and by the time we did meet the rep we had a bigger problem my daughter of 12 and her friend were locked into a room on the complex by a 21year old man who thought this was fun so we had that to sort
is there anything else i can do,thanks in advance,

Since you did not bring this to the attention of the Thompson's Rep in the resort, the answer is that there is nothing else you can do.

Unless your reason for not going through the correct procedure as in the booking conditions of all travel companies is a very very good one!

I'm not sure that the reasons you give are good enough, did you make any attempt to contact the Rep through the company, at other hotels? Surely there was an emergency contact point available!

Peter
peter thats why i asked the question is there anything i can do them sending me a £3 chquejust wound me up more,i think as well i felt we had good grounds to complain when we got home,and choose not to cause anymore problems than the one we had already with our daughter being kept against her will
You can always have a word with Ros Fernihough, Travel Law Solicitor, Tel :- 01922 621114.

The trouble is that Thompsons know how the law works as well, but you might just get more compensation with regard to the seating on the plane.

Peter
Hi Everton,

I think you are flogging a dead horse here. Yes 3.00 is a bit of a slap in the face and I appreciate you a cross but, Peter is correct.

Not complaining to your rep in resort weakens your case dramatically. Did you complain to the hotel staff instead?

Assuming you booked the whole package with Thomsons, there would have been a Welcome Meeting with your rep the day after your arrival. This is crucial for both reps and guests. Remember this is how reps make their living and they want you to attend and it gives you a chance to air any grievances straight away. Did you get an invitation to a meeting?

Was there a reps board stating visiting times? On these boards are also local resort contact numbers. Thomsons will use this against you also, especially if the board is in a prominent position.

Reps have set visiting times, is it possible that you just missed him/her as their scheduled time in your hotel was while you were out/at breakfast/having siesta/at the pool? I'm a rep myself, this happens a lot.

Lastly, because you did not raise the issue when you eventually did see a rep it will be deemed that "you were not that bothered"

Louise
is ross a free service and would it be a case of forwarding her the pictures/paperwork
guys if i should of compained goa side then im stuffed but dont you think its naughty sending me a £3 cheque after what they knew we had been through,putting aside my later complaint of the accomadation,i think by the tone of the letters i recieved off them they know exactually were the law stands,were i dont it seems,steve.I honestly dont know what to do with a £3 cheque even looking at it winds me up,but thanks for your advice
Steve,

Personally I think you've hit a brick wall on this, the only arguing point is the level of compensation for the seat, and even this could have hidden small print and be subject to interpretation.

Frankly, the £50 paid for a window seat isn't worth the hassle of taking any further.

Sorry.

Peter
i had a flight problem 2 years ago. we never got half the things stated in the brochure for the upgrade to premier we paid for. i never complained in the resort at all, i only complained when we got home by letter to the company. it took me 7-8 months to sort it out and got abta involved too but i won in the end and got what i wanted back from then. i know this was only a flight problem and not a resort problem but it worked for me.
I dont think having a seat by a window you couldnt see anything from will be enough for a refund but the state of your room definatly is.At Christmas 2005 we had a dreadful time in a hotel in Portugal and when I came back I contacted Ros as the company only offered me a £80 voucher off my next holiday.We didnt have a rep because Alpha rooms, who the agent booked our accomodation with, didnt have reps.When I contacted Ros I spoke to Pam her secretary and she advised me to send all my receipts etc.The charges are on a no win no fee basis. but I think it was a % of what the company refunds.I got all my accomadation costs back even though I had no photos.
Where there is reps service you are expected to use it. It is in the small print in the back of most brochures. Something like, if you have not gone through the correct procedure, claims cannot be accepted on return. Peter put it very well, Thomsons know the T & C's, booking conditions and law backwards, as do all TO's and they WILL use it. TO's like to advertise their presence in their hotels as much as possible and they all have a reps board with phone numbers etc etc. They will say that you had no reason at all not to report your complaint in resort.

If you are set on taking it further, perhaps you would be better to focus on the extra you paid for the seating which you did not get. Don't bank the 3.00 cheque whatever you do as this will be seen as acceptance and the end of the matter.

Louise
Perhaps if we were told when this actually took place we would be able to make an informed suggestion. As it is this could have been going on for over a year.

Why someone would wish to pay £50.00 for a window seat is beyond me. But then I assume it is personal choice. If you paid for it and did not get it then do not bank the cheque, write to them and tell them that you require return of the money in full for non supply of the booked item.

To be fair the duty of care applies to both sides.

The TO, has a duty of care to supply what has been booked. The client cannot, to be fair, just claim compensation without reporting it whilst there, and giving them the opportunity of putting it right.

All holidays that I have been on have had a contact number for emergencies. At the price we pay for holidays it would not be financially viable for a rep to be on 24 hour duty at every hotel - just in case we need them.

Some years ago when the rep ignored my request to resolve a problem, I went to an internet cafe and emailed the head office. It was resolved within 24 hours.

The amount that someone has spent in a year is nothing to do with it. The court would only look at the case before it.

You say that when you did see a rep you were concerned with another problem. Did you seek assistance from the rep to resolve that?

fwh
Steve
did you try to get your room changed?
hi when exactly were you there.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.