Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Hong Kong is more expensive than Thailnad unfortunately.

We stayed at the Stanford Hillview Hotel in Kowloon. Although not a mega posh hotel, the rooms were clean, decent views across the observatory park, round the corner from some fab restaurants and bars, and two minutes walk from Natahn Road and only a few more down to the Star ferry.
Lyn, unfortunately HK has severe seasons for hotel pricings that change frequently, with price increases that are more extreme than most.

ie.
Low 1x
Shoulder 1.5x
High 2x

And you're travelling co-incides with high (Sep 20-30) and Shoulder (after that) so you get caught a bit, and will be paying over the odds wherever you stay (bare in mind HK 3-5* hotels ran at 98% occupancy in 2006)

My fave hotel in HK by a long way (in terms of value for money) is the Harbour Plaza Hong Kong. Great views, rooftop pool, great value. However, it might still be a tad expensive depending on your budget. If it is tell us what type of budget you had in mind?
Lyn
I got a brilliant deal booking Metropark through BA.com. It may be worth trying there.
Thanks for replies, have had another look!
Began to feel a bit of a skinflint when lusting after some of the fab hotels on offer, but hubby instructs that the budget is max of £600 (this is an extra trip not main hols :sulk and he knows I will want to shop :roll: )
Stanford Hillview is a possibility, but has no pool which I would rather stick out for...
Harbour Plaza HK unfortunately is out of budget at £864....altho Harbour Plaza North Point is an affordable £530, is it as bad/far out of town as some people report?
Metropark Causeway Bay looks favourite at the moment (£860 BA site but £607 Expedia)
Others I have found that are well priced but reviews questionable ? are Island Pacific, Empire Kowloon, Royal Park
Anyone any experience of these or similar priced?
Lyn
I think we struck lucky with Metropark as we got it for about £60 a night- but that is just after new year. One plus the Stanford Hillview has over Metropark is its location. It has places to eat within walking distance if you can't be bothered using the MTR once again after a hectic day!
However, as long as you pick a hotel within easy walking distance of the MTR you can be anywhere within minutes :D
Have booked the Metropark in the end! Got it for £75 per night...we're happy with that for the time of year.
So excited, as we've wanted to do this trip for ages!
Thanks
Lyn
less than 5 mins from the MTR. It is a lovely hotel - we are going for the second time if only for one night :lol: Views from the pool are brilliant. And one "must" is a visit to the bar when they have a karaoke night. We had a ball and we hate karaoke :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.