France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Hi Bernard

Calvi in June, what can I say, fantastic.

We went in June this year and stayed at the hotel Saint Christophe in Calvi and had a wonderful time. Please see my review further down this section.

Calvi itself is delightful. We stayed near the Citadel but it was within walking distance of the harbour and the many restaurants and bars. There are a few bars, but it is not a rowdy place. We ate out three nights and the food is fantastic, I cannot praise it enough.

One word of warning though, as I have said in my review, everything is very expensive, it is not a place to go on a budget, but the food is of a very high standard. Alcohol is expensive.

The weather was lovely, infact everything about the week was great. My husband would like to go back next year, but I like to visit different places, we are thinking about Sicily.

Anyway, please read my review entitled Hotel Saint Christophe and any further questions, please ask.

Sue
Thanks Sue and pleased to hear you enjoyed it! We've 'reserved' first option on an apartment near the Citadel (pre-brochure) for 4 Jume 2006 - 2 weeks self catering. Can you recall just how expensive 'expensive' for eating out is as a guide for us? I know it'll be more pricey than our regular haunt - the Greek Islands where a 2 course meal for 2 people with house wine is about 30 euros. In Menorca last year we were paying more like 50-60 Euros for 2 courses/2 people - is Calvi a lot more expensive?

Did you hire a car? If not did you/were you able to travel round much even if on organised trips?

Bernard
Calvi is a good place for getting around on public transport: First, check my website: http://www.corsicabus.org which gives bus timetables and also a link for the train and tramway times.

1) The tramway de la Balagne is an ancient train running on the normal railway line between Calvi and Ile Rousse stopping at many of the beaches in between. I'm not sure if June is considered high season, if not perhaps only 2 or 3 services per day.

2) You could get to Corte or Bastia by bus or train. Ajaccio would probably involve too much travelling time.

3) Les Beaux voyages run various coach excursions : the villages of the Balagne, Cap Corse, the Calanche of Piana, and even I believe a 2-day trip to Bonifacio.
Thanks for the info, folks.

Bernard
I cannot be specific in my reply as although we visited Corsica in May, we didn't visit Calvi.

Certainly Corsica is a wonderful island - full of rugged scenery and stunning coastlines. But you might find it more convenient to travel by car as you will be more flexible and can stop when you want.

Corsican food tends towards the homely, full-tummy cuisine - and I loved it. Certainly seaside towns offer fish and seafood, but I did find that pricey compared with mainland France. The local cheese 'brocciù' was tasty and made good fillings for pancakes, canneloni, quiches etc, and the local wines are very good .... worth travelling to Patrimonio to taste the wines!

I think you will enjoy Corsica - try to keep it separate in your mind from mainland France, as it really is a delightful region with its own soul.
Thanks for the info folks.

Bernard
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.