Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Carrefour.?
10 Posts
Lountza is the local 'ham'. Smoked pork loin - delicious.
Sold here in the UK as sopocka (Polish)

Most of the large supermarkets - Carrefour, Orphanides, Papantnious - sell pre-packed ham. (Packets marked 'XAM')

Mark
You know when you go to a strange but not unfamiliar country for a holiday it is great to try what we and the locals eat, of course you can get the normal processed ham but why not as Mark said try the local Lountza ham, it is far better than the processed stuff and what you may be used to, after all you will only be here for a week or so, be adventurous I promise it will not be hard to swallow.. :wink: have a great time..

http://fermentation.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/hams.jpg

This is the baby!!!
If you do go looking for packets of normal boiled/baked ham just make sure it is ham and not bacon!
Jim, do they ride pigs in Cyprus?
There seems to be a set of spurs in your picture. :lol: :lol:

Mark

PS: Everytime we went into Carrefour last month Lountza seemed to be on special offer.
PPS: Now hankering for a Lountza and Halloumi and tomato sarny!!!!http://bestsmileys.com/eating1/13.gif
Now Mark who said they were for riding an animal?? :oops:

Also you of all people have seen the size of Cyprus Pork chops!!! are they not the biggest in the world??? I think so..
Talking of all the 'pig' in this thread i thaught i would ask has anyone tried the pork mezze in a taverna in Sotira ( sorry if its the rong spelling! ) i cant actualy remember the name i think its something like Costas Taverna? its a cypriot family who owns it and they all talk no english so i dont know if many tourist have been there? our friend Nicolas from Nicolas Tavern took us there and it was beautiful all the food!
& Also has anyone tried the mezze's in Laxia Palace on Kavo ghreko ? there lovely in there too!

CourtneeLouise
Hi CourtneeLouise

I think you're referring to the Square Tavern in Sotira... smallish place, with oilskin tablecloths. Good food and very reasonable... we often go there. It's run by Costas.

Haven't been to Laxia Palace.

One other place in the villages for meze is Louloudia in Vrysoulles, otherwise known as The Shack. Similar to the Square and so popular that you need to book. They bring the menu with a pad and pencil, and you write down your order. You also help yourself to glasses and drinks and they tot it all up at the end.

Marion
Ohh right well were off in 8 days and im just looking around for some new places to go ! we go to Nicolas Tavern everytime we go away but in August we thaught we would try "the reef" its part sunrise beach hotel but we went down there & its lovely! maybe we can try the one you said sounds very nice! yeah thats the one in sortira ! have anyone tryed the Vinarey aswel ? you do the same there they give you a pad & a pencil to right down your order & they do a great four course meal for £3.00 each & its great food aswel!

CourtneeLouise
Pork meze?
Sounds a bit restrictive.

Jim, I don't think we've got plates big enough for some of the pork chops I've had over there! :wink:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.