Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
The Yellow brick road is the zig zag path that goes past the Rio park hotel.It has always been a fairly dimly lit area on an evening.My friend goes to the Rio Park several times a year and when she was there in September she heard of a few muggings in that area.
crime in benidorm is no higher than your average place.

a lot of it is down to common sense or lack of.

if you walk alone down a badly lit street at 3 am a little the worse the wear for drinking you may indeed get mugged
Well honestly what you need to ask yourself is when you went the other 4 times did you get mugged? No? Did you then report how you didn't get mugged? No? Of course not!
We only hear about the bad things! So if something does happen it gets reported on a review site or whatever and so out of 1000 people who go we suddenly have 3 or 4 who have been mugged and reported it and it looks way worse than it is!
My advice, which is for any town or city in the world is to be extra careful, try not to be alone and don't get so legless that you are an easy target!
We are here now and not heard of any muggings, just like anywhere else, just avoid any dimly lit areas late at night, just use common sense like you do at home
Hi Annie, we have been to Benidorm the last two new years and never saw or heard of any muggings. We are going again this new year. We stay in the Riudor hotel which is in the heart of clubland and have never witnessed anything bad.Like the previous posts say, a lot of it is down to common sense IE dont go walking in dimly lit areas very late at night and dont get the worst of wear with drink. We are a couple in our late 50's/60's and find that most of the people in Benidorm at this time are in our age group...not all, but most !! I hope this puts your mind at rest.
Thanks everyone for your replies. I was feeling a bit apprehensive but feel a lot better now and sure we will have another great new year in Benidorm.

Cheers, Annie
We have lived in Benidorm for six years and have never been mugged, attacked or felt threatened, as Chivas pointed out you only hear of the few that do happen, but there are thousands who come here every year and don't have any problems. Just be as careful as you would be at home, like avoiding badly lit streets. Sometimes people also forget how much stronger the drinks are here, which can make them vulnerable to thieves.
Please don't be put off coming to Benidorm for a holiday, it has so much to offer.
One of my neighbours went last Sunday and has just returned earlier tonight. (Sun)
He is a regular visitor and he went with his partner (in a group) and stayed in the hotel Los Dalmatas.
Dave has been talking to him in the local pub and the tale he has just come in with tonight, does not make good reading"¦"¦

1st day: A couple in the group went upstairs for a sleep and as they had just arrived, they hadn't put anything away in the safe..
They woke up to find someone had been in the room and taken their handbags containing jewellery, £500 sterling, passports etc

Same day: 2 people having just arrived, they dumped their cases in the room and went downstairs for a drink, when they went back to the room, the cases were gone.

Following night (Monday).3 girls outside the White Horse area at 10 pm.
One went inside to use the toilet, one stood outside having a cig and the other walked off in search of somewhere to buy a packet of cigs, 10 pm.

The girl who walked away had a brick smashed over her head and robbed.

He said the staff at the Dalmatas were unhelpful in bringing the Police in, basically he got the impression that they didn't want the Police in the hotel and he phoned for a taxi to the Police Station.

Needless to say He will never go back.

Thousands enter and leave Benidorm without anything happening to them and touch wood I've been one of those people, but crime is happening and we all have to be more vigilant.

Sanji x
haveing never been before, i will have to tell my family about this and to be careful, is crime bad in the F.O hotel x
:D I've not heard anything bad about the F.O - anyone going to the sol pelicanos be wary, quite a few robberies have taken place outside, and a few inside too! - One couple had their hand luggage whipped whilst checking in :roll:

Belly!
we saw one lady nearly have her purse pinched but we managed to shout her and the three pulled back she didnt have a clue, then the three put there fists up at us but ran when my hubby walked to wards them this was outside the weastern bar
as to this, i will be leaveing my bank cards at home in the uk, and my house keys. i will make sure i try not to take much money out, when i go to the bars ect, and hire a safe x
Just reading the holiday reviews there and another mugging in benidorm dated this month... When will something be done about it getting a bit to much theese days .I hope it doesnt put people of going as it is a great place . mazza x
Sorry meant to say HOTEL reviews not holiday the girl was staying at the rosaire x
I hope it doesnt put people of going as it is a great place
If the truth were known, there is probably no more Crime in Benidorm than there is in any other large major cosmopolitan City like London, Paris or New York for example, and it does not deter visitors from travelling to those Cities.

I'm not saying there is no crime in Beni, but if you are sensible and don't open yourself up to being a victim, you should be fine.
I'm not saying there is no crime in Beni, but if you are sensible and don't open yourself up to being a victim, you should be fine.

I can't see how going for a nap in your locked room or leaving your locked cases in your locked room is opening yourself up to be a victim.

luci :wave
Well, no, that is true. But even that can happen anywhere in the world in any Hotel.

It is not a crime unique to Benidorm.
My cousin has just come back from Rome and she said the crime rate there against tourists has risen.Locals are blaming the immigrants from a certain country who recently joined the EU.Im not sure if Im allowed to say which country but it begins with the letter R!.Seems the crime rate in Benidorm has increased during the same period.
I went to Benidorm on 2nd November - 5th November and stayed in the Rosaire which wasnt a bad hotel, nice and central, but unfortunately I had my handbag snatched on the way home from a night out, walking along the road which has Morgans and The Western Bar, think it may be Calle Gerona. A gypsy man thought to be Romanian came from behind me and snatched my bag so hard it just broke and off he went quicker than a greyhound, I didnt even see him. I was completely distraught. Spent the rest of the weekend with my head turned feeling very uneasy. I would say there are a lot of these gypsies in Benidorm, men and women, and on reading other posts these stories appear very common, also at the airport and even hotels! Also speaking to fellow travellers who had experienced the same. And by the way I was not drunk, there were 12 of us (although I was towards the back!) and the street was quite bright, and only a minute from the hotel and I was still targeted. I was lucky not to be injured but it was still a horrid experience and ruined my weekend. I cannot understand why the Police are not getting rid of these immigrant low lifes.
My best advice would be for ladies not to carry a handbag, distribute money in different pockets and use taxis and for those men out there who think they should fight back if you do experience these gypsies, dont bother, these people do carry knifes and are not afraid to use them.

It is a real shame that it happened as Benidorm itself without these thieves I think would be a good place, the beach is lovely as is the promenade, and the entertainment is varied for all ages to enjoy.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.