Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Sounds very nice. Good descriptive report so far. Cheers :D
Excellent stuff djk. Thanks for the info it is great.

Peter
Would you kindly add a hotel review Here please as well :D

Many thanks
We would usually have been out and about fairly soon after arrival, but we were slow on this trip. We pottered around the local area ASAP, but there wasn't a lot there. There was a small 'square' just outside the resort consisting of the usual tailor, handicrafts, jeweler and a few general stores. There were more 'traders' than potential customers making them a bit harder to shake off in the restricted space compared to the busier resorts. Mrs jk made a few calls home from the yellow shop which sold everything while I had a chat outside with the owner of the jewellers/clothes shop next door - very nice guy, who happily gave me some local tips - combined with a few attempts at a sales pitch.
Margao seemed to be the nearest place to visit so we took a taxi from the hotel- the driver must have been having a bad day - hardly a word from him all the way. He dropped us at Margao market - very busy, mostly locally orientated but lots to see. Mrs jk got a bit claustrophobic - the market is covered has a variety of strong odours and is a warren of narrow crowded paths - we got a few bits however. We were debating what to see next when our driver saw us and made his way back to his van. Plan B was to have some lunch in Colva on the way back. Our driver didn't look enthusiastic but dropped us on Colva Beach with a long look at his watch. We had a meal in Kentuckee's - lovely food etc, but there was a bit of a whiff from the stagnant stream just outside. Back at the hotel the previously silent driver burst into suggestions as to what we could do the next day - I had already decided whatever we were doing would be with the taxi guys just outside the hotel - who seemed a sociable bunch.
The beach at Bogmalo seems to have a bit of a territory thing going on - A guy dressed like a policeman and armed with a whistle and long stick attempts to keep the bit nearest the hotel free of locals who in turn like to try his patience - there was talk of the hotel having wanted much more exclusive use of the beach.
We were beginning to think we may be missing out on the 'fun' side of Goa there would have been a lot more to do in Candolim. The resort was very good at what it did, but protected it's guests from many aspects of Goan life we had come to expect and enjoy.
We made it to Calangute next day visiting all the places we were familiar with and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves,but, we were both glad to get back to the tranquility of the resort.
We were obviously being 'seduced'by the 'chill out' factor of the Bogmalo. :oops:
Over the remainder of the holiday we managed a few outings to Panjim, Candolim and a more sucessful shop in Margao, but, nowhere near as many as if we had stayed in the North.
Returning to the rooms around 5pm, we regularly saw a large group of monkeys swinging around in the trees behind the hotel. The Sunset Bar is very aptly named and offers a truly magnificent view from the steps towards the pool area.
Certainly a different kind of Goan holiday-which will appeal to some people more than others. Many may find it a bit too pampering and protective and, simply not enough going on in the vicinity. Whilst I enjoyed this laid back fortnight I'm pleased I had previous experiences to compare it with.
Bad Points: The Bogmalo charges Rs250 for 30 mins on the 'net!! (No internet available in the village)
No Wine included in the AI package. I know it's expensive but Whispering Plams managed :(
There's not much noise from commercial operations at nearby Dabolim Airport but, it's a military establishment and when those jet fighters take off they rock the whole bay!! They don't do it too often though.

The journey home started as chaotic as ever - two long queues outside each terminal.We (and many others) were all directed to the wrong queue so after shuffling toward the entrance for an hour - we had to join the next queue and shuffle for another hour! A lot of unhappy people! There were travel reps around who could have saved the situation but they allowed the porters to place people into the wrong line. Once checked in, make sure you have a 'cabin baggage'label as the rubber stamping brigade will send you back every time.(They stamp this label many times before you reach the plane) If you have some time, instead of proceeding through immigration etc from check-in, head down the walkway behind you to the little resturant and spend whatever Rupees you have left in relative comfort. Try not to change Rupees back to Sterling at the airport - the comission fee is 40%!!! :o
More great stuff djk

The one question that remains - Is Bogmalo (area not hotel) too quiet, or would you return?

It sounds to me that you had a good break - thank you for the report

Peter
I guess I would return. The Bogmalo area is very quiet and you need to make the effort to get out and about.....if you want to - in the North you can stroll out of your hotel get involved in whatever is going on, and your day takes it's own direction from there. Perhaps there's a case for a week in the North followed by a chill in Bogmalo! Have a good trip Peter, and I look forward to your trip report :lol:
DJK,excellent summary of Bogmalo.I probably saw you while you were here as we are in Bogmalo for 6 months.Next time dont go A/L the resturaunts around the area are excellent,we went upto Calangute/Baga last week to meet a friend and we couldn't get back here fast enough.

jc
jc Was it you I had a chat with regarding internet access outside the yellow shop?
More than likely was but To be honest can't remember i get talking to that many people.

jc
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.