Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
I'd buy it 'airside' in Singapore. There is a big alcohol shortage in Bali at the moment and when you can get it it's very expensive. I've read of restaurants offering to buy travellers duty free.

What I did last year when we went to Phuket via BKK and unsure whether it would be confiscated on the domestic flight, was to put it in the checked luggage (we have heaps of duty free at home which never gets used).

You are allowed 1 bottle per person (either wine or spirits) into Bali. If you take more then it's an invitation into the back room to pay a 'fine'... a bit like contributing to the Policeman's Ball.

A word of caution departing Bali. There have been MANY reports that alcohol is being confiscated at Bali airport despite it being bought 'airside'. It does depend on who you are flying with... they appear to let their International carrier Garuda passengers through but confiscate some other airlines. It's their own interpretation of the liquid and gels law.

I have a similar problem as we are going to Penang via KL I simply cannot find out the Malaysian LAGs law on domestic flights. I think it might have to be placed in the checked luggage again.

Have a great time in Bali

Cheers Geri
It's quite confusing isn't it? I can't seem to find a hard and fast answer. I know I can't take things from Heathrow to Singapore, but I can buy on the plane, but they don't sell cigarettes. We only have 2 hours between landing and taking off again, so don't know if we will have time for shopping there.

I'm not sure if we see our luggage between Heathrow and Bali. If we need to collect and then book in again, we definitely won't have time for shopping!

I'm hoping someone who has done the flight already will know all the rules!

We don't go for ages, but hopefully I'll have all the information I need by then.
Just flown Singapore airlines to Borneo via Singapore and were allowed to purchase stuff at heathrow and take through in transit as long as it was sealed in a bag by the duty free shop in heathrow and not unsealed until reached destination, might be worth asking about this for Bali. We only had 1hr 20mins between planes and missed our connection as had to change terminals, our plane was 30 mins late. Singapore airport is fantastic and the cigarettes there were 22SD for 200 the alcohol was expensive though.
I hope you didn't have to wait too long for the next flight?
Had to wait 5 hours! Lots to do at the airport though so soon passed.
right airport for a long stopover :D We have even sunbathed by the pool in the past!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.