General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I go to bed at my usual time, but only because I don't sleep well before a flight!! :)
I probably wouldn't go to bed if it meant getting up at 3am. I rarely go to bed before 2am and if I went before midnight I would most probably lay awake the whole night. I hate very early morning flights and unless there is no other choice I won't book them, as I would be dragging myself around for the first couple of days and if I'm only going away for a week then too much of the holiday is spoiled.
I go to bed around nine o'clock after having a milky drink and a couple of aspirins in the hope I at least have two or three hours sleep. It's usually in vain because I keep checking the time and can't relax, so give up, get up and have a coffee. Although we both prefer early flights they are tiring but at least the return flights leave at a reasonable time and no hanging around all day. Hubby sleeps on the plane and I shut my eyes and try to have a little sleep as by then I feel exhausted but the excitement carries me through. First night in resort is not a late one as I just want my bed....Caz
I always intend going to bed early but somehow it never works out that way as im always so busy the night before that time just runs away with me. I dont sleep well the night before anyway, I find my brain wont switch off and I spend most of the night lying there thinking about whats packed and have I remembered everything :roll: so I will read for a bit and then just doze and clock watch till the alarm goes off. First day in resort is always very tiring and its an early night for all of us but the next day we are full of beans and raring to go - well to the nearest sunlounger anyway :sun2
I have a 7am flight from Liverpool, going to check-in around 4am, so probably will get ready to head to airport about 2am

Not going to bother about getting any sleep, will end up watching tv, for most of the night, and about 1am would go for a nice hot bath, sort out suit case, and then head down stairs to hotel lobby, and check out

Looking to leave hotel about 3am, Hampton Hilton and only a short walk to airport, and seeing I am flying with ryanair, I want to be more or less at the front of the queue for the baggage drop, taking no chances

I am hoping I can check my bags in 4am ish, and then go through security and relax, and once on the plane, will catch up on my sleep
If I've an early flight I usually take a Sominex at about 9pm then go to bed and read for a bit. Usually though I can't get into my book so just lay there hoping to nod off. Hubby makes me sick as he stays up, watches TV, comes to bed to find me still awake, lays down & is snoring in 2 seconds flat :cry
When we have an early morning flight (as we have this August) we stay in an airport hotel. We'll have a couple of drinks at the bar and head off to bed by 10pm ish. I need to rest even though I am never able to sleep as I'm far too excited. I will get up at 2.15am to get ready to go over to the airport for 3.15 in time for our 6.30 flight :tup
If we have an early morning flight I will attempt to go to bed by 11pm but there's not a big chance that I will be sleeping, tossing, turning, reading a book, checking the clock, going over my list of things to do etc. My eldest daughter won't sleep (she can go 2 days or so without any sleep and be full of energy!) youngest will probably be asleep normal time or coming into my room talking about holiday! :D

CourtneeLouise x.
as we normally end up flying from Gatwick a 5-50 am flight would mean leaving home at about 11-30 the night before or at 2 am for a 7 am flight, so i don't bother going to bed, i just treat it as being the same day
Normal time for us, as I can never sleep the night before anyway. Like Shirley we stay in an airport hotel the night before an early flight, and head to bed around 10 ish. We always say that the 1st night in the resort will be an early one, but for the last few years it hasn't worked out like that. The earlier nights tend to come later on during the holiday.
the last few times I have flown they have been early morning flights and dark o clock check ins. I am a night owl anyway and if I was to go to bed earlier than normal I just would not sleep. Depending on what time I had to be up, I probably would not bother going to bed.
I try to go to bed a bit early but dont tend to gain alot but the bit that helps me most is to have about an hours sleep at about 5pm the first day and that seems to sort me out for the evening.
I avoid those flights at all costs and will pay more to fly at a civilised time and also from a local airport. I like afternoon flights best that get me to my destination around evening time but next week I have one that leaves at 8.00am so will have to be there by about 6.30 and will leave home at 5.30. That's not so bad and will try to be in bed around 10pm or a bit before. I can't cope if I miss out on a nights sleep but I'm OK on 6 hours. My worst thing is arriving at a resort at around 6 or 7 am as it is getting light and very difficult to get to sleep for a few hours. It really messes up my system for the next 24 hours.
we are off to Samos on a 7 20 flight from Gatwick. We have to stay there the night before and will check our cases in the day before as well. Even so it is going to be an early start- not bothered about us but our 5 yr old will be so tired. She goes to bed anyway at 8pm so even if she goes at normal time she'll be tired
If we have an early flight which means leaving home at 2-3am ,I dont bother going to bed.
After working night duty for over 30 years I am a night person anyway.
We arrive tired but try and stay up all day and go to bed early on our 1st night.
I much prefer night flights and try to avoid day flights.
Hi
We often seem to get early morning flights, so have to get up in the middle of the night.
I get a bit anxious the night before, usually go to bed early hoping to go asleep, sometimes I can relax and sleep, others I am awake on and off , clock watching :(
I wouldnt be able to stay up all night, I need some sleep or I would feel sick...and that as well as being anxious is not good :really
M
. My worst thing is arriving at a resort at around 6 or 7 am as it is getting light and very difficult to get to sleep for a few hours

I could never go to bed straight when I arrive in the resort, doesn't matter what time it is.
Helen T wrote:

I could never go to bed straight when I arrive in the resort, doesn't matter what time it is.

I try to catch some sleep on the plane, and finally on the coach transfer, so all in all might get 3 hrs sleep
I can't sleep on the plane either, so I gradually catch up on sleep as time goes on. At home, I'm lucky to get 5 or 6 hours sleep a night anyway, so catching up on that is nothing!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.