America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Florida - help
184 Posts
Personally, I'd stay on Disney property first time ......
- so much simpler and less hassle (though you wouldn't drag me away from a villa these days).

Good starting point would be Travel City Direct who are very competative -but I'd get your park tickets separately as this will be cheaper (see the Ticket section at the top of this forum).

If you are considering hiring a car I would book a fly drive from TCD and book your accommodation separately with an accommodation only provider such as Findmeaccom.com, Travel Republic, Roomsnet etc.

If you get a few travel brochures from the travel agents, and have a read through, you should get a good idea of all the attractions Orlando has to offer.
Merged with existing topic which may have some information.

luci :wave
Thank you, thats helpful. I will have a look at Travel City.

So what parks would suit a mental five year old?

Catherine x
Look at the different price range Disney Resort Hotels- we have stayed at the All Sports and the Music resort recently which was very good budget value,and several years ago at the Caribbean Beach resort which was quite expensive,considering all you do is sleep there. They both have nice pools so that after you've walked the parks for several hours a day you can go back and relax with a swim. Those Disney Parks will wear him out!
The hotel resorts have a 'food court' set up so you don't have to go far,or off the premises to eat.
Shuttle buses run from outside the Hotel resort front doors every few minutes from very early to very late and they have you at the park of your choice in 15 minutes or so,you don't need a car unless you want to get out and explore Orlando area.
Magic Kingdom should be perfect for an energetic 5 yr old- MGM studios and Epcot also tons of fun and adults love them too. In fact I can't think of anywhere I wouldn't go again except the Animal Kingdom.... lots of people love it but... I would rather go with the animation and the 'magic'.
Thanks Emdia, I think thats what I want him to have, "the magic".

Going to do some digging around!

Catherine x
We recently returned to the UK from a 3 week vacation in Orlando with our 2 children, the whole trip cost us 1950GBP flights and private villa with own pool, we booked our flights through Travel City Direct website and the villa we booked as a last minute deal from vrpdirect website where we made a bid on the weeks we wanted it was amazing i coudnt beleive we got it for such a fantastic price. So yes there are bargains out there if you look.
Happy holidays
Hi Catherine,

Staying at one of the Disney Hotels for your first visit to the parks would be a good idea, as it takes some of the pressure off! Yes, they can be a bit more expensive for the ones closer to the parks, but they also save on the petrol and parking fees, that would be incurred if you stayed away from the parks!
In the end though if you are like most of us it comes down to cost unfortunately. But personaly I would go for the Disney Hotel to cut out some of the hazzles, as you will be experiencing a different way of life there and that can lead to some confusion if you are not used to America.
Florida is there to be enjoyed, so cut out some of the hazzles if you can

Your 5 year old will probably love the Magic Kingdom and MGM studios. There are loads of things to do in Epcot, but be warned it is a big park

Maybe 2 visits so your 5 year old does not get to tired

Getting a quote from your travel Agent in the first place is an idea as it gives you something to work on when booking your package

Good luck with your search.

EDIT: Post edited to remove excessive use of emoticons
David HT Mod
Hi guys,

Me and my girlfriend are wanting to go to Florida next year, and i'd thought i would ask some of you guys for some tips.

We are wanting to go and visit for about 10nights, 7 would be too short for the stuff that we want to do.

We are going to want to do all the main attractions including bush gardens, universal Studios and all the other theme parks.

I am wanting to hire a car out there, as i dont want to rely on coaches and things to get to these places. Do you know the age and rough price it would be to hire the care for the duration.

So if anyone knows any answers to any of these questions it would be great, would be good to know what the best and cheapest travel agents are, and also whether it is better to get a package or to book flights and hotel separate.

Thanks guys, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks -
Try Travel City Direct, as I believe they are one of the cheapest around for going to Florida. Their website is pretty comprehensive with regards to car hire and accomadation.
Merged with existing topic which may have some information.

I doubt you will be able to hire a car as the minimum age is normally 25.

luci :wave
Hi all 3 of us fly out on 1/9/07 from manchester ,flight MYO63 to Sanford
Florida what plane is this likely to be, and how can I get 3 good seats ,

thanks in advance
Hi Tunnafish

For flight info please post in the relevant thread in the Flights forum HERE.

Pippy :D
Hi

We are due to travel out to orlando - staying at the CBR in WDW - on Sept 1st 2007. I didnt realise that the 3rd Sept was labor day holiday, does anyone know how busy it gets over that weekend - and possible into the following week.

Just trying to plan days around it.

Also the 3RD Sept is our wedding anniversary so we were hoping to book a nice restuarant (we have the disney dining plan) in one of the parks - again with this being a US bank holiday not sure how busy they will be. Any recommendations for good romantic eating place would be appreciated.

Jas
Well it will be busy on the Holiday weekend anywhere you go,but Labor Day marks the end of the summer season,and all schools have gone back,so it should be considerably quieter the following week.
Hi floridajas. If you are on the Dining Plan, I can recommend the California Grill in the Contemporary resort. Its a very good restaurant and people normally take the trouble to dress a little more formally. What makes it really special is that at the appropriate time they dim the lights and you get a great view of Wishes (with piped music). Also if you tell them its your anniversary they will make a fuss of you.

Only problem is that its very popular so you need to book well in advance. You may be lucky if you try the WDW DINE reservation line though.

Good luck and have a great holiday.
hi, anyone know how easy it is to get around the kissimmee area using public transport eg buses or is it better to get a shuttle ? in general terms would using a taxi be very expensive has anyone got any examples ? thanks
We are thinking of booking to go to florida next year what part of the year is the best time to go in terms of weather and busy periods. we dont want to book at the busiest periods. thanks
Looking into going to disney, every where I look booking flights and accomodation(villa) seperate seems to be more expensive than a package deal from say Thomson etc. I thought it would be the other way round, am I looking in the wrong places.
We are a family of 5(3 kids so school holidays) so maybe that makes a difference and from north of the border, so flying from say Scotland, Newcastle or at a push Manchester.
Any help would be appreciated
Hi
Going to Orlando April 2008 staying on LBV, want to do Discovery Cove, Seawworld and possibly new park Aquatica, but not driving over there. How easy is it to get too without a car? I dont think hotel does a stuttle bus to these parks only to Disney ones.

Many thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.