America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
More to the point, are the parks even OPEN at that time of the year? e.g. Magic Mountain here in California closes and doesn't re-open until March each year.
The two Disney water parks will always have one water park open during the winter months as yes it is still warm enough (usually). The link below shows you which parks are open during which months. It looks as though Blizzard beach will be have a reburbishment in Feb 2008 but Typhoon Lagoon will be open.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/calendar/parkhours/calendarHome?id=TLCalendarParkHoursMonthlyViewPage&date=20080201

I believe Wet n Wild is open all year with some rides shut while maintenance is being carried out but might be worth checking with the park. I know we've been in December before and even if the weather wasn't baking hot sun the water is still lovely and warm.

http://www.wetnwildorlando.com/hours_01.html

Hope this helps.
:D
thanks so much for that - you have just made up my mind....
hi - sorry to be a pain again - I have two dates - one 4 february and the other 28 February - nearly a month apart - would it make much difference to the weather
We are visiting Orlando for the first time next summer. I understand parking at Disney is c. $11 per day, but would appreciate clarification as to whether that allows you to visit a park, return to the villa and then go back to the park or visit two parks in one day. Or would that cost $22?
You only have to pay once per day.
hi - sorry to be a pain again - I have two dates - one 4 february and the other 28 February - nearly a month apart - would it make much difference to the weather

Both dates are good as you will be avoiding President's Weekend / Week (third weekend, and following week, in Feb)

It may be slightly warmer end of Feb., but you may find accommodation slightly dearer in some cases, as value season may be finished by then.

Also parks get steadily busier through March as schools take their Spring breaks.

For the benefit of anyone who missed it earlier here is a brief generalisation of what to expect each month ;

"Its all about personal preference really; for weather & crowds ....and obviously when you are free to go (ie if you are governed by school holidays etc).....and your budget too !

Our personal preference is:
late Jan/ early Feb (avoiding the third week in February if possible as this is Presendent's Week in the US) - we like this time of year because ; a) its cheap b) its not too hot, or humid c) the parks are not too busy. However, the weather during these times can be more variable - though I would liken it on the whole to our British Summer (but without the light or warm evenings), and all that entails, both good, and bad ! It goes dark around 7pm.

Here's a personal account of the rest of the year:

October/November/early Dec. (avoiding Halloween which is mega busy but has extra park celebrations) is pretty similar to late Jan/ early Feb, crowd wise.. if a little pricier. Again the weather can vary, but its much like our British Summer, with darker, cooler evenings.

September is cheap and parks are relatively quiet, and on the whole there is better, hotter weather,than early Spring/ late Autumn, but you run more risk of hurricanes. Its also warmer, lighter in the evenings. Try and avoid Labor Day/week (first Monday in September) as this can be much busier.

Xmas and New Year; the weather can be, for the most part, very pleasant, but crowds around Xmas and New Year are huge..but the parks often have special shows/decorations at this time which can be truely magical. Evenings are dark, and you often get very cold start/finish to the day (but it usually warms up during the day) - with occasional frost. It is also an expensive time for visiting ref. accommodation & flights.

March; a good time to visit also, weather, crowd and price wise. But few British schools have breaks at this time of year. A few US states have early Spring Breaks at the end of this month.

April / May / June; the Parks become busier with the onset of American Spring break and more settled and hotter weather , though prices (except Easter) are more moderate. Evenings are lighter and warmer.Try and avoid Memorial Day/week (last Monday in May) as this can be much busier. By June, the climate is getting hotter and more humid, as this month progresses.

July & August the parks are at their busiest, accommodation & flights pricey and weather is hot & humid. Long, light and warm balmy evenings. Occasional thunder storms, with more risk of hurricanes towards the end of August..

Also note that from the late autumn (end Oct),through to early spring(beg. Mar), you will normally find that 1 of the 2 Disney waterparks will be closed for refurbishment during this period.

Other top tip : Whatever time of year you go, try to build in rest days or non Disney park days at the weekend since, as in this country, theme parks are always busier at weekends. Good alternatives include; chilling by the hotel pool, shopping, Kennedy Space Centre (simply because it is so vast it swallows crowds), Sea World isn't too bad, and the many other lesser Orlando attractions etc...its a shame to waste precious park/holiday time stood in the heat, in long queues most of the day !

Just my views and some very broad generalisations at that !! .

"
we are looking to go to Florida on 5 february until 20.. can anyone tell me if it is warm enough to go to the ater parks? thanks

Yes, but you may have to select your day according to the weather forecast - weather is quite variable at this time of year....... but we got sunburnt at Blizzard Beach last year in Feb. :oops:
hi have booked my flights now - thanks to you lovely people giving me good advice... I am undecided which resort to go to - its between Bass lakes, Lake berkley, Indian Point and Country Creek....I need to be near restaurants at night that we can walk to and not far from the walmart.... our friend is really nervous about driving and would like a drink or two with his meal at night so would like to park up the car after the parks.....many thanks
can I include windward cay in that list also thanks
Hi

Thinking of booking a Florida break for next April for 2 adults, 2 children who will be aged 5 & 9. We will probably fly into Miami and out of Orlando & spend 7/8 nights in Orlando. I was just wondering if you could pay individually for all the parks as I am having trouble finding out the individual costs. Been looking at the flex tickets you can buy that cover multiple parks but we don't necessarily want to visit all the ones on these tickets so was just going to cost out individually and see the difference. We haven't decided definitely which parks we want to visit but they will probably include Animal Kingdom, Magic Kingdom, Seaworld, a water park (not sure which one yet), Kennedy Space Centre. What else would you recommend for kids aged 5 & 9?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
You can pay on the gate for any of the parks; a Disney one for example will cost you $75 per adult , slightly less for a child under 10 years $63. You can buy these in advance (must be 3 days + though) from Undercover Tourist.
These are Magic Your Way Tickets, as opposed to the traditional British passes that let you into all the major Disney parks whenever you want for a whole week/ 2 weeks. The British passes are really good value but if you are very definitely only looking at doing a couple of Disney parks then maybe not really worth it. However, you should consider that many of the Disney parks have the most fantastic firework shows and/or parades in the evenings, and they also include waterpark entry.... and this may make it worth while you splashing out on the passes.

You can also buy a ticket on the gate and get it turned into a 'Bounce Back' ticket before you leave the park at Guest Relations and this will give you reduced entry for a second day (NB. must be the following day or will expire).

Have a look on the Mousesaver.com website - lots of ticket information about single day tickets on there... but bear in mind it won't mention the all singing/ all dancing 1 week/2 week passes on there, as it is a US site and these are not available to American market.

Also have a look at Attraction Tickets Direct website (a UK site) - they have very competative prices.
Hi All
We are going to Florida April 24th for 2 weeks-flight 12.45 from Gatwick, staying in a private villa. Anyone else going on this flight or anyone more excited than me? I think me and my husband are more excited than our 4 1/2 yr old son!(probably because he doesnt know what to expect!!?) We have decided to just stick to Disney, seaworld, Aquatica and a few other bits and really enjoy them, rather than trying to do universal as well. Bit of a shame beacuse me and my partner love the big rides (pity they dont offer a creche facility at each ride!!-bad parent!)However, seeing the magic through my sons eyes will more than make up for it i'm sure. Anyone heard of Grand Reserve rsort in Davenport? Any reviews would be appreciated! Thanks
We go out 2 days before you and Grand Reserve is just down the road from our villa, nice place easy to get to and get around, If you want an idea of local stuff let me know...

Malcolm
Hi Malcolm
I would love any more info you can give on the area. How far is the nearest supermarket/store? We back onto a conservation area-is it likely to be wet (as in lake-not rain) when we go? In some of the photos we've seen it looks like a small lake but the owners say it isnt like it all year round. Anything else of interest nearby? We like walking and nature etc. so non Disney days will be pool etc. so a nice walk would be good.
Thanks for all your help
kind regards
Eva
Hi
can anyone advise us please. we have booked for 16th Oct 08, a disney area villa, car hire and flight with Broadway Travel. When I booked I wasn't asked if we would like to have the pool heated. A friend told me recently that the pool would be too cold to use and now I,m a bit concerned. Been in October before and the weather was great, visited all the water parks and never had a problem with temperatures then(Can't imagine they are heated) At a cost of over £250 do we really need to have it heated.
Thanks
Shaz150
Hello,
Going to International Drive this summer and thinking of having a few days at the coast and also to visit Busch Gardens, can anyone recommend anywhere to stay thats near the beach for family of 4 (includes 2 teenagers so has to be spacious)

Thanks
Hi All, Off to Orlando in April and I just have a couple of questions (for now anyway)if any one can help please.

Planing on doing the Disney waters parks plus hopefully Aquatica, do these supply towels or do we need to take our own?

How easy is it to get from Lake Buena Vista area to Seaworld and Discovery Cove as we are not driving, would getting a taxis be best?
Many thanks
Hi Robin
We are off in April too-not long now!! :hols
With regard to the water park, we are looking to do Aquatica too. I would presume it to be like the other water parks which would mean you take your own supply of stuff. I did Discovery cove back in 2000, literally a couple of weeks after it first opened and I think they supplied everything-even shampoo etc in the showers. You will love it. The Dolphin meet was fantastic but the rest of the 'cove' has just as much to offer-clean, quiet, lovely food-you wont regret it atall-guaranteed. Have fun.
Eva
Hi Eva

We are off on the 10th, I see from you previous post you go 24th thats the day we come back, It will be our 2nd time, 1st time was back in 1992 I am sure it has changed alot.
It will be the kids 1st time, they are getting really excited now. My daughter loves dolphins so she is really looking forward to Discovery Cove and Seaworld.
Robyn X
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.