Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Hi Anna, the ferry crossing is lovely, and btw no helicopters any more it's now a sea plane from Grand Harbour.

Regards
Sliema2
Hello ana2w, the ferry from Malta to Gozo takes about 30 minutes and is about 5 miles and you never leave sight of land, you also get to see the blue lagoon as you pass the small island of Comino.
The boats may be old but are in no way old tubs, like you find in the Greek islands, there are plenty of toilets and most times I have used them they were clean. There are plenty of seats inside and on the gang ways outside, there is also a bar incase you do need a stiff drink or just a cup of tea.
Dave
Hi ana2w,

Used the Gozo ferry only last Thursday. The weather was a bit breezy and we were concerned that the ferry journey would be a bit rough. :yuck However, no probs at all! :D As already mentioned the sea crossing is short and it's highly unlikely you would be sea sick. Also the boats aren't that old. I can remember some years ago when the ferries were really old and tatty but the ones we've used in recent years are very nice.

If you choose to go we've found that it's best to take a car across since you are then able to drive to wherever you like. It's relatively easy to drive around Gozo and it's much quieter than Malta. Using a car you'll be able to visit a lot more places in the short time you're there.

Hope you enjoy your visit,

Trev
Thankyou all very much for your replies, i had visions of rowing boats and big waves so you have put my mind at rest there!
At the moment its a toss up between the calypso hotel in Gozo, the intercontinental in St Julians Bay or the seabank hotel in Mellieha.
Although from reviews the latter seems to be a favourite with the germans :?
We want somewhere that has plenty to do but is not too rowdy and is handy to get to other places. We are spoilt for choice so any advice would again be appreciated :D
The vessels used are less than 6 years old. The old fleet were replaced in 2001 :)
http://www.gozochannel.com/
We used the Gozo ferry crossing in October and although it was very windy had no problems. The facilities on the boat are good and the crossing seemed quick.
How much is the flight by seaplane from the Grand Harbour?

Is it necessary to book, or do they operate like the ferries - just back and forth all day?

I went to Gozo on a "familiarisation" visit when I worked for one of the 3 big tour operators in UK a number of years ago but my SOH has never been there yet. It would be nice if we could get there for a short visit when we are there at end of Feb.

cwb
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.